Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:59 PM

615 posts, read 1,077,401 times

Advertisements

I think I know the answer to this, but it seems so crazy to me as the world is becoming so unsustainably overpopulated that there are famines, drought, war and disease killing people everywhere, and even our country has too many people now to keep up with the infrastructure and jobs, that Texans think it's some kind of contest to see who can add the most people.

I know it was written by some crazy goat herders in the middle east a while back that people should overrun the earth, but honestly how bad does it have to get before you guys wake up and realize you're being screwed? By moving everyone who's unemployed from the rest of the states and Mexico into Texas you are guaranteeing yourselves permanent traffic jams, job shortages, and very soon serious water shortages. This could also cause civil disturbances in the near future as well.

Why do you proudly accept this destruction of your homeland? I lived in Texas for 8 years and couldn't wait to get out, not just because of the weather, but because of the crowds and overdevelopment everywhere (not W Texas of course, but the rest is screwed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,902,927 times
You're painting all Texans with the same broad brush.

Not all of us are happy with the sprawling growth--and many (if not most) of us don't like being overrun with illegal aliens.

It breaks my heart as a native West Texan to see what is happening in my home state--I don't live there now, and I am NOT happy with 25 million and counting.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
I think I know the answer to this, but it seems so crazy to me as the world is becoming so unsustainably overpopulated that there are famines, drought, war and disease killing people everywhere, and even our country has too many people now to keep up with the infrastructure and jobs, that Texans think it's some kind of contest to see who can add the most people.

I know it was written by some crazy goat herders in the middle east a while back that people should overrun the earth, but honestly how bad does it have to get before you guys wake up and realize you're being screwed? By moving everyone who's unemployed from the rest of the states and Mexico into Texas you are guaranteeing yourselves permanent traffic jams, job shortages, and very soon serious water shortages. This could also cause civil disturbances in the near future as well.

Why do you proudly accept this destruction of your homeland? I lived in Texas for 8 years and couldn't wait to get out, not just because of the weather, but because of the crowds and overdevelopment everywhere (not W Texas of course, but the rest is screwed).
I think that it has to do with the population somehow proving some Texans "right" that "their" formula is better than that of any other state. thus, everyone must really WANT to come here because of it. But, I lament the rapid growth because I remember what it used to be like. But who doesn't feel that anywhere that they live?
Change is inevitable, but the huge changes that have happened in once charming places like Austin for example is sickening.
Some good by-products are that it might make our State a two party state again and that it is flushing out the "good ol boy" Anglo power structure that has kept so many from success.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,663,518 times
Like Cathy said my friend not everyone is happy to have folks from all over move here but why sit and moan about it when that is not going to make it stop. But there is not a whole lot that we can do besides tell the folks that do move here not to moan and try to make Texas into another (insert state name) since that is what they are running from for what ever reason. I am glad you are in WA stay there don't come back! lol

Old 09-18-2011, 04:56 PM

615 posts, read 1,077,401 times
Quote:
Not all of us are happy with the sprawling growth--and many (if not most) of us don't like being overrun with illegal aliens
Ignoring the illegal alien debate for a movement, it's been my experience that most Texans think population growth somehow equals prosperity, which is not always the case.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:13 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
Why are Texans proud of population growth?

As a native Texan, my answer to the question posed is, "We are? Who knew? Where are you getting your information about what Texans are proud of?"

And what neddy and Cathy4017 said.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,235,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
Ignoring the illegal alien debate for a movement, it's been my experience that most Texans think population growth somehow equals prosperity, which is not always the case.
I think you are misinterpreting general comments like "Texas must be a better place to live or else so many people wouldn't have moved here. That doesn't necessarily mean Texans really want more people to move here.

Most people don't want to live in an area where population is declining (e.g. Detroit).

Texas' unemployment would probably be a lot lower if so many people hadn't moved here in the last decade competing for jobs.

Civil disturbances in the near future? I don't see that happening in Texas before it happens in other places first.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 PM

130 posts, read 318,042 times
I migrated into Texas to be with someone I love, but many times I feel bad for crawling into a place where I don't really "belong". I apologize for adding to the numbers, but I am a quiet person and don't bother anybody. I empathize with the pain of seeing a town you grew up in morph into something unrecognizable and repugnant. Change is unavoidable but that doesn't make it any less painful.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,030,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
I migrated into Texas to be with someone I love, but many times I feel bad for crawling into a place where I don't really "belong". I apologize for adding to the numbers, but I am a quiet person and don't bother anybody. I empathize with the pain of seeing a town you grew up in morph into something unrecognizable and repugnant. Change is unavoidable but that doesn't make it any less painful.

It's all good man. Glad to have people like you here. You're still a fellow American after all.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,223,094 times
I think the increasing population is one of the worst things about living in DFW. The traffic is a nightmare, the air pollution is becoming more and more a problem, the water supplies are overtaxed, and the electrical grid is strained to the utmost on hot days. I hope to move to Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis or NM eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas