Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper_D_Robb View Post
What is the driver's test like in Texas ? In PA they weed out all the newbies by telling the students to make a left at the stop sign as they pull into the test track and of course they do just that without stopping ... bingo, they flunk asap and have to wait a month for a retest.

Anyway, I'm curious so I know what to expect. And I do trust you but not necessarily because you're a cop !

OTOH in Delaware I just traded my old TX DL for a DE one -- no test at all, except vision. The minimal level of government in DE makes both TX and PA look like the Soviet Union (or maybe just the UK, exaggerating less).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 05:20 PM

341 posts, read 689,227 times
We live in Cal right now, but have purchased a home in Texas and plan on going back and forth. We would like to register our truck in Texas and leave it there. We have 2 other cars registered in Cal and a home. Am understanding that we cannot register the truck in Texas without getting a DL. What if we buy a new truck in Texas. We are still Ca. residents and need to maintain our licenses here.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,594 times
OK so here is my situation. My boyfriend and I currently live with his dad, rent free. Our names aren't on any rental agreements, utilities etc. He has a state issued drivers license and I have a state issued ID card both with oklahoma addresses. We are going to move to TX to be closer to my grandparents. We will be staying with them, again without a rental agreement, utilities etc. We are both planning on getting bank accounts down there and I am planning on getting my driver's license in TX (for clarification we are both over 18). He wants to establish residency there before he joins the Navy which is in a few months. How do we go about doing that or can we do that?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,543 times
Default Residency Questions and HELP needed!

Okay, so I've been living in Austin since December of 2008 and wasn't intending to stay for any longer than a year. (I also am new to the whole changing your driver's license over thing...which I am in the process of taking care of...but I digress...) I'm considering a few education options here in Texas and I don't know where to begin. Since I've been here for about 9 months and haven't done anything to really claim residency beyond my address change, I'm honestly scared that I won't meet the requirements for residecny in Texas for school.

I'm a live-in nanny so I don't own or rent the house I live in. I changed my address to my Texas address back in December but not my license. My boss provides the car for me, so I can't get that changed into my name. What do I do?! Where do I begin with all of this so I can possibly start taking classes in the Spring?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I got my Texas state ID with a passport and a postally-delivered envelope mailed to me at a Texas address. Now I am a Texas resident.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 AM

14 posts, read 46,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
TGM is 100% correct! Here are the Texas Department of Transportation web sites for info on getting a Texas Driver License and registering a car.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/movingtotexas.htm - broken link)

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/..._residents.htm
From the links...

New residents moving into Texas, who have a valid driver license from their home state, have 90 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license.

New residents are required to do the following within 30 days of moving to Texas:

Get a vehicle inspection
Register and title their vehicle

Having just relocated here, I find it odd that the vehicle registration and driver licensing are done at 2 different offices..not necessarily bad..just confusing when you are new and used to 'one stop shopping'. And the new resident tax on vehicles!! What a surprise..

Old 03-15-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,616 times
I have a residency issue, if anyone could help, I would appreciate it. I live in Ohio, came to Texas to visit (due to health conditions) for the warmer months here vs. Ohio. I still have a permanent residence in Ohio, but did rent a place here. The lady at the DMV or whatever it is called here, told me I did not have to change my plates and license over since my permanent residence is Ohio. However, I was stopped by the State Police, because I have Ohio plates and they had seen the vehicle in this area before, after a long drawn out and emotionally exhausting inquisition by them, they told me it does not matter that I have a permanent residence in Ohio and that I will be going back, I had 30 days to get everything changed over. There are so many people I know that come to Texas for the winter and have had no problem. Does anyone know the facts or where I can go for official answers?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,538 times
Does anybody know how much does it cost to become a Texas resident? Also, I read that I need to prove I've lived there for one year but how long is the process to actually get the residency?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,614 times
okay......does anyone know how this the residency works for the children who are living with their parents in Texas and want to take college classes? Do they need to wait out the whole year so they don't pay out-of-state tuition? We purchased a home back in June of last year. Thanks! Virginia

Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Back to the OP's original question: What does it take to become a Texas resident?

1. Incorporate y'all in your daily vocabulary
2. Develop a taste for barbeque
3. If you are a democrat, learn not to say so in public
4. Buy a pickup truck
5. Keep a gun in your house
6. Wear jeans to good restaurants
7. Eat a Whataburger at least once
8. Drive fast and don't use your horn (Yankees use their horns)
9. Don't use words like "significant other"
10. Proudly brag we don't pay income taxes (and fail to recognize our property taxes are over the top)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas