Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM

82 posts, read 266,348 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from PA and my family is looking into Texas as a possible place to relocate. I had an uncle who lived in Austin and it was a great place to visit. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago and I no longer have any family in Texas.

I teach in inner city Pittsburgh and have been assaulted by students among other things. My daughter is bullied constantly because she is white. We would like to find a family friendly area for us to settle down in and reside.

We are in our early 30's and our daughter is still in elementary school. I'm a Spanish teacher and would be seeking a position.

Any advice? Places to look at? Education and jobs? I hate to admit it but I am tired of the cold North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:37 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,714,991 times
please do some google research; there have been teacher layoffs in Texas are we are bracing for massive teacher layoffs for next school year......

State Budget Cuts Could Mean Mass Teacher Layoffs

Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,900,296 times
as you will find districts across the state here in TX are laying off by the 100's. Any jobs from retireing teacher are being offered for "in-house" employment only.

It doesn't get you out of the north but...I suggest you stay in the Pittsburg area, just go south to Cannonsburg area or North Strabane. (we temp llived in a nice Topwnhouse in Cannonsburg before we bought our house in Peter's) Good schools, ALOT less crime etc... and may be less expensive than living in the city.
You can search for new jobs without picking up and moving etc...

Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,344,452 times
Seriously? Do a little reading on the Texas education budget crisis and see if you still think Texas is the land of teaching opportunity. Up to 100,000 Texas teachers will be laid off this summer. It will NOT be easy to find a teaching job in Texas.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,714,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz89128 View Post
I'm originally from PA and my family is looking into Texas as a possible place to relocate. I had an uncle who lived in Austin and it was a great place to visit. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago and I no longer have any family in Texas.

I teach in inner city Pittsburgh and have been assaulted by students among other things. My daughter is bullied constantly because she is white. We would like to find a family friendly area for us to settle down in and reside.

We are in our early 30's and our daughter is still in elementary school. I'm a Spanish teacher and would be seeking a position.

Any advice? Places to look at? Education and jobs? I hate to admit it but I am tired of the cold North.
Try Omaha, Nebraska. Very family friendly and I hear there are jobs there, too.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:36 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
South Dakota has one of the strongest economies in the US at this time--
there is lot of gas drilling going on and the farm economy because of high commodity prices currently is also going good
personally that would be hard sell for me because of the winters--really harsh--
but if you have to have a teaching job that might be an option

Old 04-30-2011, 06:16 PM

148 posts, read 358,795 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. There are Spanish job openings in the state--along with math, science, and special education. One is on page 5 of the job listings in Region 14 educational service center. It pays $4500 a year above state base and has good housing for teachers. It is a little rural, but it is warm, and the kids are great.

The web page for these jobs is Jobs at Region 14

You may use esc14.net to get the regional service center home page. There are 20 regional service centers in Texas. They all list jobs. You can search all 20 by changing the 14 in esc14.net to numbers 1-20. Many of the larger districts do not advertise openings on the service center pages. They advertise them on their own web page. For example, I live in Abilene, the largest city in Region 14. The Abilene school district lists their jobs on their own web page.

I am an educator and still involved in teacher training and placement, and I am confident that as a Spanish teacher, you can find either a Spanish or bilingual position in this state.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:20 PM

148 posts, read 358,795 times
Here is the web page for openings in Abilene. http://www.abileneisd.org/226910518121731123/lib/226910518121731123/CertifiedPositions0422.pdf (broken link)

No Spanish position--yet--but keep checking. (I see they need a Frnch teacher. If I were you, I would check weekly. Do the same in any city in which you think you might like to live.

There are 1045 school districts in this state. I know more than one of them needs a Spanish teacher.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:58 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,587,680 times
If you are willing to live in an out of the way, rural town, you may have a shot. As others have said, our economy is also in the toilet and they are cutting 100,000 teaching jobs for next year. Spanish teachers are often among the first cut as they are non-vital positions (sad as that is.)

But again, you'd probably have to live somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. For some people, that's no problem. A lot of people like the small town feel. But then there are the others who think moving to Texas could be neat as long as they end up someplace popular like Austin, Dallas or Houston, or one of their surrounding areas. It's going to be nearly impossible to find a job in one of those places.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
I think getting a teaching job in this state over the next two years is going to be harder than winning the lottery--
it was difficult enough before this to get a job in a "good" district in my part of TX--DFW metroplex--
and there were hundreds of applications for any job opening--
these districts could afford to be choosey--
now that they might be laying off teachers (and I don't think it will be 100K of them) they throw even more applicants into the job pool
Districts aren't going to post job openings because frankly they don't know how many teachers will be needed for vacancies
in my local district when they hired teachers last spring for the school year 2010-2011 (this year) they had ALL new hires--no matter their level of past experience, no matter their field, no matter if they were a teacher who had worked at the district and resigned to stay home with a new baby for a year--
they all had to sign a letter of resignation at the same time they signed their contract--
they got hired to work one year--
they get laid off/fired--no UEB application--at the end of this year and their names are put into a pool of possible teachers for next year--
depending on how many teachers retire at specific schools in specific fields--what the class counts are projected to be--what classes need to be on the schedule--
SOME of those teachers will be offered jobs by principals--but no promises--they may not go back to the school they were at this year--they may teach a different grade level or subject--like Geometry vs Algebra II--
so they are going to have to wait--maybe until July--to know if they get offered a job...
and lots more teachers are going to be in that boat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas