Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,777,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2496 View Post
Here is the web page for openings in Abilene. http://www.abileneisd.org/226910518121731123/lib/226910518121731123/CertifiedPositions0422.pdf (broken link)

No Spanish position--yet--but keep checking. (I see they need a Frnch teacher. If I were you, I would check weekly. Do the same in any city in which you think you might like to live.

There are 1045 school districts in this state. I know more than one of them needs a Spanish teacher.
I agree - they're always hiring Spanish speaking teachers and the schools in the Spanish speaking areas are not going to face cuts as other schools are facing. The population of Spanish speaking kids is exploding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,586,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I agree - they're always hiring Spanish speaking teachers and the schools in the Spanish speaking areas are not going to face cuts as other schools are facing. The population of Spanish speaking kids is exploding.
This is true, but to me it sounded like she taught Spanish as a foreign language, rather than ESL, or bilingual classes (more common in elementary.) This isn't to say she doesn't have skills that could be transferable, but she'll need to check into requirements to become certified in that area.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM

82 posts, read 266,292 times
Default Not ESL

I am certified to teach Spanish K-12, not ESL or bilingual. I am looking into getting either of those endorsements but that would take 6 months minimum for either. Right now I'm sticking with my Spanish endorsement.

I am also looking at AZ and NM but AZ seems to have the toughest license to obtain.

Right now FL is the only state that seems to be actively recruiting teachers.

My wife, daughter and myself were really hoping for Texas.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:24 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,336,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz89128 View Post
I am certified to teach Spanish K-12, not ESL or bilingual. I am looking into getting either of those endorsements but that would take 6 months minimum for either. Right now I'm sticking with my Spanish endorsement.

I am also looking at AZ and NM but AZ seems to have the toughest license to obtain.

If you really need to move this year, I'd go with the state that has the best education budget outlook. Not sure which of the 3 that is.

If you can wait 3-5 more years or if you really don't care where in TX you end up (Panhandle or Valley vs city-living in Dallas/ Houston/ SA/ Austin), keep TX on your list.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,586,763 times
Quote:

Well, apply for any jobs that come open and see if you get any bites. I will say that in our district, there were many Spanish positions cut. Foreign language and other "extras" are often the first ones cut since they aren't included in state testing. I wouldn't be surprised if more positions were cut in the coming years.

But, as others have said, if you're willing to live somewhere really rural or in an area fewer consider desirable, you may find a lucky break. The trouble is, most people who think "Texas would be cool" are usually thinking Austin/San Antonio/Dallas/Houston, or somewhere near there. All those jobs are hard to come by. They aren't thinking a tiny town in the panhandle, or somewhere in west Texas where it's dry and hot. If you're willing to live somewhere like that, you may have more of a chance.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:25 PM

82 posts, read 266,292 times
Default Good school

Right now my main concern is my daughter and a place where I feel safe and a good school for her. She has some special ed issues that aren't getting addressed in the big city and big school district. If I have to work off the beaten path I wouldn't mind.

Are there any areas I should just stay away from no matter what?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:46 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
and the schools in the Spanish speaking areas are not going to face cuts as other schools are facing. The population of Spanish speaking kids is exploding.
You have no clue what is happening to the education budget in TX--
there are many schools full of Hispanic students that will have budget cuts this next year--
saying that they won't is just racism in reverse
even schools that receive the Robin Hood extra funding will get less monies

UNLESS a district has been especially well-managed and can deal with less money from the state--
all of them are going to get shafted

Old 05-03-2011, 11:43 AM

5,484 posts, read 7,774,248 times
Quote:
Right now my main concern is my daughter and a place where I feel safe and a good school for her. She has some special ed issues that aren't getting addressed in the big city and big school district. If I have to work off the beaten path I wouldn't mind.

Are there any areas I should just stay away from no matter what?
Unfortunately the quality of the school for your daughter is inversely proportional to your chances of getting a job in the same district.

Yes, there are many many excellent schools and school districts in Texas. You can pretty much find them by looking at average income by zip code. The wealthy suburbs around most of the big cities in Texas have good school districts. Some (but not all) of the wealthy inner city areas also have good schools as there are some wealthy inner city areas where the wealthy have all but abandoned the public schools and send their kids to private schools.

But those are the places where it has always been hardest to find teaching jobs. Everyone wants to teach at the nice new suburban schools in "good" neighborhoods that pay higher salaries and have good resources. Your chances of finding a teaching job in Texas is probably inversely proportional to your distance to what you would consider "good" schools for your daughter.

And yes, there are areas you should avoid no matter what. Port Arthur comes to mind.

Port Arthur, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2011, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 40,278 times
You should check out College Station/Bryan, Texas. Home of Texas A&M. It is a fantastic town to raise kids. The schools are excellent and have wonderful diversity (college influence). However, the high school Spanish program needs some help as they have lost some teachers in the past year. We have lived in several towns in Texas and College Station is by far the best. Schools are safe, plenty to do, nice neighborhoods to live in...etc. The budget cuts are worrisome, but this school district is worth checking into. THey are building another high school to be completed fall of 2012 since the population has steadily increased here. The schools all are newer and the teachers really seem to love their jobs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 40,278 times
Oh, and I'm from PA, too. We moved here about 5 years ago. You wouldn't believe how many people I meet from PA down here in College Station. The people are so friendly and you don't feel like an outsider. Moving from up north to some parts of Texas can be a bit of an adjustment. We love Texas, though. College Station has really been a good fit, culture-wise. And let me reiterate that the schools are very safe and the academics superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas