Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Greetings fellow Texans,

I was just wondering if any of y'all ever just take a notion, a hankerin', or something akin to just taking a drive and going back to places you remember as a kid or something? Or, maybe just swinging off I-20 or 30 and follow the signs which show some little out of the way place? Or, just take the "backwoods" rural highway route to your destination?

The trigger for this question came about when listening to this old song by Alan Jackson. The Little Man.

I might as well have grown up in Bowie or Alvord, Texas...as most of the family lived there and it was the setting for lots of family reunions and dinner-on-the-grounds. In fact, they are the fictional setting for some short-stories I later wrote about kissing cousins and lightning bugs.

Last time we went thru there (on the way back from Caddo Lake), in the old areas, it was barely recognizable, what with the Wal-Marts and the impersonal convenience stores all around. The old cafe's were mostly gone as was the mom and pop stores.

Don't get me wrong. I am a fiscal free-market conservative to the max, but I was never a big business conservative in the sense I ever thought that -- as the old saying goes -- what is best for GM is best for America. Some things are just not right...and that is the closest way I can write or get to the essence of the thought...

Anyway, do any of y'all ever just take a poignant drive, or swing off the main highway and just remember when...? Wonder if that world ever really existed, and if, maybe, it still does?

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0&ob=av2el

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AirBbS4R7Z0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
Sometimes when I travel to and from Plano to Shreveport, I love taking HWY through Elmo, Wills Point, Edgewood, Hawkins, Big Sandy, etc. Same thing when I travel to Abilene or further, HWY 180 Palo Pinto, Albany, Anson, Roby etc.

I enjoy seeing those small towns, a lot of times I'll stop in a cafe or store just to soak up the atmoshpere.

I hope we never forget or lose those towns, they each have their own charm.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 PM

556 posts, read 1,562,789 times
Reb, as always, you speak my language. And Joe South is one of the folks I can hear in my Daddy's voice. Just for glee, drove over to Cool, TX, today for some downhome Lebanese food at Dee's Diner. Mmm-mmm. I like quirky Texas.

And I like all the home places in Texas.......early days in red dirt, iron stone areas of East Texas, and after marriage, the home places in the Bohemian areas of South Texas. Nothing I love better than driving quiet two-lanes and visiting the mom & pop's. I only like neon if it's decades old.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
We always pull of the interstate to check out little towns that I read about on the internet. Fayetville Tx was the most recent place I investigated. That's pretty dang close to a Mayberry town. I want to go back in the Spring because I have read they do bluegrass jam sessions on the town square and everyone is invited.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
I love to get off the beaten path! Freeways are fast, but so impersonal. I like driving through small towns and having a look around. I also like to get back to the places I remember from Childhood. A few I haven't made it to in a while are Mathis and Pleasanton. I guess a road trip is inevitable this summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: