Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,924,275 times

Advertisements

have no real personal knowledge of living along the border--but Eagle Pass is the town where several years ago a National Guardsman was charged with killing a border-crossing immigrant...apparently that is a big illegal crossing area and not just illegal people...think temps are still pretty hot around there...

Have you considered Del Rio, TX and Ciudad Acuna its Mexican counter-part-- Lake Amistad there as well
Ciudad Acuna had a reputation as friendly, clean border towns--but because of its proximity to San Antonio (just 2 hrs on a good hiway) factories are becoming more prevalant--this used to be a fairly peaceful border crossing but have heard that the Mexican guards are becoming more irrasible and even in the town itself tourists are having some problems at night...US policy has caused backlash...
this is Copper Canyon train trip pass-through town I believe...
The area is border between Chichuahua desert and the Edwards Plateau of TX...supposed to be a little more scenic than some parts of the border...

I would suggest you look at tripadvisor online--for Del Rio or any other border town--read reviews and see if you can get names of hotel managers/restaurant owners and just send them an email at their business web site asking for their impressions of the city across the border...they probably have a pretty good idea of current situation

I have found that many people may be surprised to be asked for specific impressions but if you explain your situation a little and apologize for taking up their time, you will probably get a response to your questions...

You might also look for anyone in your immediate area that is a Snow Bird--someone who lives long the border in the winter months and goes home in the summer--hundreds and hundreds of northeners used to drive south in their RVs to stay but I don't know about now with higher gas prices and hotter tempers...Forget this suggestion--did not know you were in GA--sorry---but you might look on-line for that type of organization and see if there are any recommendations for places to stay or comments on border towns...

I hope this decision works out for you--it can't be an easy one at all--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 AM

131 posts, read 377,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
McAllen is paying $52/hour for RN's on 13 week travel assignment. on top of this, free housing or if you dont take their housing, you pocket the 800/month or whatever they give you for housing subsidy. i know this for a fact because my coworkers fiance just took an assignment there.
the whole South Texas area is desperate for nurses, both RN's and LVN's. i am an RN. i hate it down here. the money is good though. cant wait to get outta here.
good luck
p.s. what is your specialty? are you an RN or LVN? what part of GA are yall movin from? i moved here from Ft Stewart/Savannah area (i am from Texas though-NORTH Texas).
WOW!! 52/hour!! I'll be paid 19.50/hour maybe because I'm a fresh graduate. Haha can't wait to be 52/hour.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:08 AM

just a correction to my earlier post--the Border Guards are charged with shooting--not killing--a Mexican national who was driving a van load of mariajuana across the border...their case is just coming to trial now--lots of sentiment both ways for what should happen to them...
volatile area still is what I am saying...

Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 AM

10 posts, read 63,023 times
Thanks to all for your advice. It helps so much to at least be able to talk to someone.
I will continue searching and hopefully I will come across something soon. Job prospects are going well. The real dilemma now is housing and school for our son.

I really would like for our son to attend school on this side even if that means paying a tuition. But I have not ruled out school on the Mexican side. It really does not matter to me as long as he can get a good education. There are alot of really nice private schools deeper into Mexico but they are rather expensive. And of course finding work for myself becomes more difficult.

Believe me when I say our story is long and complicated and I wish so much it was possilble to gain legal status for my husband. However that is not in the near future. We have been legally married for 15 years in August so we have been dealing with this for a long time already. We finally have just decided to give up trying and go to Mexico.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM

In Austraiil they used to have "bush" schools which were really home courses of study with q/a done by radio for children who lived on stations far in outback--do they have anything like that for Americans expats in Mexico--I know many of them are retired and school-age children are usually not a concern except visitng grandchildren...
if you plan to cross the border to work as a nurse, what about your husband's chance of employment---I guess he can't get a border crossing pass to work in US because of his history with Imigration...

Old 07-18-2007, 02:51 PM

10 posts, read 63,023 times
No, a border pass would probably not be in the cards for him. So it looks like we are going to be stuck. However I am going into this with an open mind and a positive outlook. Things will fall into place I sure. I just need to keep on looking toward the future.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Air

150 posts, read 538,239 times
Dear Kimgapeach,

I was reading about diplomats stationed in Matamoros who sent their kids to private school in Brownsville. Here is the link:

Real Posts Reports: ...what it's really like to live there ... (broken link)

I am also looking at Rio Grande Valley. People seem more openminded than in the South.

Take care.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:52 PM

434 posts, read 1,737,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgapeach View Post
Thanks so much to all who responded. I have been looking into Neuvo Progreso and it seems a little better than Reynosa or Metamoros. Much quieter, which is want I am used to. I am currently looking into jobs in all these areas on this side and hopefully it will not be too difficult.
Just my 2cents but I have been to a lot of the border towns and Nuevo Progreso was, to me anyway, by far the nicest, cleanest, and safest. I think that is the one I would pick as well if the work and school issues work out. Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:27 AM

noticed that the post/link to Matamoros was done in August 06--almost a year ago--some changes may have occurred in the atmosphere due to US changes in Border policy...did not check for any newer posts...

Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,594 times
I am probably missing your point here about your need to live on the border. Is it because you want easy access to the U.S. or you want U.S. wages or what? I think the whole border living is not very desireable. I live in El Paso and deal with Customs and Border Protection agents at the bridges. That is a mess. They are always working on the bridges to widen them, shorten them, barricade them, etc. I really feel for the people who are crossing daily for one reason or another.

Why not just move to "real" Mexico like Tepic or Matzatlan? There are some beautiful areas and very cosmopolitan. Your son could go to school in these areas and be very well educated. Lots of Mexican children go to our schools in El Paso.

Here is how they do it. They drive by a vacant residence and grab the address. They get some mail sent to them at this address. It doesn't matter if it doesn't get to them. They then go to school and show five pieces of paper listing this address. Bingo...their kid is in. Our schools have truant officers whose job it is to ferret out these students. Many have no interest, many have no time. Huge numbers of Mexican children attend our schools daily.

I wouldn't reccommend living in Juarez across our border. It is very dangerous city as are many of these border towns. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas