Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM

57 posts, read 143,910 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving to Texas. We currently live in one of the hottest towns in California, so we're used to 100 degree heat in the summer, but low humidity.

I've read the other weather threads here but my question is a bit different: I know Texas summers are hot and humidity is generally high, but are there towns where you don't have to run your AC from April - November?

I grew up in Houston where the weather was either 'hot' or 'cold'; rarely did we have weeks where the highs would be 70's and breezy. When we did, we called it 'California weather'.

Even in my hot town in central CA, we usually don't turn on the AC until end of May, though temps can get typically 105+ in Aug/Sep.

We are currently considering the Dallas/Ft Worth area, as we think the weather is better than in Houston.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bo; 04-14-2010 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
We turned on our AC last week here in Dallas.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Texas is hot. AC is a necessity.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
No where in Texas that I know of. Actually haven't turned on my AC yet, but it has been a cool spring.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
There's nowhere in Texas will you not have to turn it on in Arpil, some areas of north and west Texas you might be able to turn it off in October, just depends on the year and how far north you are. I currently live about 225 miles north of Dallas, in a suburb of Oklahoma City, which is roughly about as far north as Amarillo, and we have had ours on for a week or so but have had a very cool spring. All our family in Texas say its been a bit warmer there than here so they've been on a little longer than us. In the fall, just depends. Might be cool, might be hot. Here, we usually have to use ours until at least late October.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
We haven't turned our air-conditioning on yet. I live in Lubbock and we usually run ours from about early-May to early-October when the afternoons are consistently above 80 or so. The average high in April is 75 and the average high in October is 75. Many nights get cool enough that we turn off the AC and open the windows. Amarillo is similar as well. They're drier and higher in elevation than most of Texas (and Oklahoma) so the nights cool down to the 60s even in the middle of the summer.

Last edited by Westerner92; 04-14-2010 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,016 times
No such animal, unless you think 90 to 100 degrees is cool.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:53 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,205 times
Quote:
I've read the other weather threads here but my question is a bit different: I know Texas summers are hot and humidity is generally high, but are there towns where you don't have to run your AC from April - November?
Unfortunately, you're not going to get the answer you're looking for whether good news, bad news or preconceived notion.

Texas usually/sometimes has great weather in the spring and late, late fall. Frequently AC is not needed. We just had a nasty winter and seems like the heat is taking its time setting in. But it's going to and then it's going to get hot... A bit of definition on hot. I don't consider it hot until the temperature doesn't get below 80 degrees for several nites in a row. But that doesn't answer your question.

The weather is going to vary by regions cold/cool/warm/hot earlier/later depending on the area and the year. So no one is really going to be able to tell you that any region has favorable weather during any given period of time.

Texas is highly subject to fronts originating in Canada, or landing on the PNW, Cali coast or Baja or from the Gulf of Mexico. Just depends on the global systems at the time and those are going to change from week to week. I noticed one time that those PNW fronts would make it thru Dallas and stall out, not making it to Houston. So I moved to Dallas but it's too cold in the winter for me.

Today it's mid-70's in central Texas. It's been a great week, haven't used the AC yet but my neighbor has. I like my windows open and fans moving air. The humidity is mild. My rose bush is about to explode with big red flowers... really BIG ! ! !

But it's gonna start warming up after May. I can hardly wait.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
The closest thing you'll find based on your criteria would be Lubbock or Amarillo. Even in those cities the duration of hot weather may still fluctuate somewhat from year to year.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Ya know, we could probably throw open the windows today, but the pollen count is way too high for such craziness. I'd die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas