Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Not sure how far along you are in credits, but a lot of young people come to Austin, attend Austin Community College and, with good GPA, transfer into UT as Juniors. I think after 1 year in Texas, you get resident rates, but I could be wrong.
I hear that you only get resident rates for tuition if you haven't been enrolled in school for at least the previous 12 months. If that's true someone could move here but would have to sit on the bench for at least a year before resuming their education if they want resident tuition. Otherwise they'll be paying out-of-state tuition all the way through. That's how I understand it anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 11:53 PM

252 posts, read 725,445 times
Quote:
Not sure how far along you are in credits, but a lot of young people come to Austin, attend Austin Community College and, with good GPA, transfer into UT as Juniors.
Last time I checked, UT Austin has a 60 hour residency requirement in order to graduate and a lot of their degree plans aren't exactly easy to transfer into due to UT requiring classes which aren't exactly available at a community college. It largely depends on the major.

Quote:
I don't think Lubbock is poor
Lubbock has little to no major industry. Like I've said several times before, outside of the school, a lot of the locals are self-employed scraping by.

If you want a city that isn't poor in comparison, look at somewhere like Addison.

Quote:
There is also distinct possibility I'm moving to Silicon Valley next year.
I couldn't care less where you are moving to next year... why is that relevant to this conversation?

Quote:
I know you were too busy being miserable in the east side to notice
I never lived on the east side of Lubbock.

Quote:
Lubbock is primarily middle class
"Middle class" is a very broad term. It could mean anything from barely above poverty to just below six digits a year. So you're not really going anywhere with this.

Quote:
Lubbock is the medical and educational hub for the western half of Texas and most of New Mexico (even El Paso and ABQ send the patients they can't handle to Lubbock).
Which isn't saying much considering that West Texas and parts of New Mexico hasn't exactly been thriving ever since the end of the oil boom of the 80s.

You're spinning your wheels here, so I'm not going to debate you on this any further. Any reasonable person can see that Lubbock isn't as affluent as other parts of Texas, such as areas around Dallas for one example. You can't expect it to be... Lubbock is isolated 300 miles out in no where. I'm not saying that Lubbock is section 8 housing, but it ain't exactly a thriving oasis in the desert, either.

Lubbock is what it is.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,220,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno if A like the plague

Maybe SMU, but Baylor is known nationally. Heck before I moved to the states, one of my friends left to go to school at Baylor. The reach is bigger than you think.

It may not be as well known as A&M, but it is still ranked higher.
Besides, the OP stated that she is moving to Texas, she won't need for her Uni to be known outside of the state
Baylor isn't ranked higher than A&M in anything. US News ranks it 79th in the national rankings, while A&M is 63rd.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,589,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Last time I checked, UT Austin has a 60 hour residency requirement in order to graduate and a lot of their degree plans aren't exactly easy to transfer into due to UT requiring classes which aren't exactly available at a community college. It largely depends on the major.

Lubbock has little to no major industry. Like I've said several times before, outside of the school, a lot of the locals are self-employed scraping by.

If you want a city that isn't poor in comparison, look at somewhere like Addison.

I couldn't care less where you are moving to next year... why is that relevant to this conversation?

I never lived on the east side of Lubbock.

"Middle class" is a very broad term. It could mean anything from barely above poverty to just below six digits a year. So you're not really going anywhere with this.

Which isn't saying much considering that West Texas and parts of New Mexico hasn't exactly been thriving ever since the end of the oil boom of the 80s.

You're spinning your wheels here, so I'm not going to debate you on this any further. Any reasonable person can see that Lubbock isn't as affluent as other parts of Texas, such as areas around Dallas for one example. You can't expect it to be... Lubbock is isolated 300 miles out in no where. I'm not saying that Lubbock is section 8 housing, but it ain't exactly a thriving oasis in the desert, either.

Lubbock is what it is.
I like how you ignored my main points. I know you're not going to debate any further, but just so others know, here are my main points (in case you lack reading comprehension skills like triwing):
- Lubbock has been shown to have one of the higher disposable incomes in the country.
- Lubbock has a highly educated population and a very high proportion of doctors.
- Triwing claims the housing is old, but Lubbock is one of the newer cities in the US.
- Triwing has yet to point out one Lubbock neighborhood that could be considered poor.
- He also claims that everybody not involved with Tech is "scraping by." I have no quantitative data for this, but I speak from personal experience that this could not be more wrong. He has yet to even come up with even personal anecdotes to support his claim.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM

12 posts, read 22,822 times
Based on your desires, I would recommend Lubbock! We are located in the Southern High Plains, and have some of the best weather in Texas. We have a reputation for sandstorms but new methods of farming have lessened those to 1 or 2 in the Spring.
Weather aside, we are a city of 250,000, we are a medical hub with hospitals rivaling the best in the nation, but certainly better than most in other larger cities. We have Texas Tech University, with 30,000 students, a law school, a medical school and a school of nursing attached, along with Lubbock Christian University, Wayland Baptist University and South Plains College, and award winning Junior College.
We have a thriving arts district (we are the home of Buddy Holly), with an absolutely amazing local pool of talented bands and many venues where you can hear quality live music of any genre most nights. We have 5 independent local theater groups, symphony, opera, ballet, rodeo, and Broadway attractions coming through annualy.
We are a conservative to moderately conservative town with churches, banks and dentists on every corner, or so it seems! People are friendly and warm and will still stop to help someone stranded on the road. We have an old-fashioned respectfullness about us, and we are generous. We throw our city council members out whenever they break faith with the voters, and have had very little problems with racial strife or gangs.
We have the lowest unemployment rate for any city our size in this state and many others, and our need for workers is neverending. Finding a job is pretty easy, but our employers have high standards, so keeping a job is up to you!
You should visit and give us a look! We are flat as a pancake with great big sky and breathtaking sunsets! We are 1 hour from the fabulous Lake Alan Henry reservoir and 20 minutes from Buffalo Springs Lake.
You don't say what degree you're pursuing, but the college atmosphere is thriving in Lubbock, TX.
Moderator cut: see comment God Bless.

Last edited by Bo; 10-20-2010 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Explained in a Direct Message.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:43 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,994,125 times
Forget about Austin.

Move to Dallas. Live in Addison, Texas. Addison has everything you need. It's a modern and vibrant town. And you can easily drive into the city of Dallas for shopping, sports, and the arts. UT Dallas is an excellent university. SMU is also excellent. You cannot go wrong in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaenniss View Post
I'm currently living in Santa Barbara, CA and going to college. I want to transfer to a University in Texas because I've always been drawn to the state I just am not sure which part of Texas to move to. Things I am taking into consideration are:
1. Weather- I don't mind hot weather or severe winters or anything I would just prefer to avoid humidity if that's even possible haha
2. Work- I want to move to a place where it won't be difficult to find a job with little experience
3. School- I want to be near a good University so that I can transfer but I will not be living on campus
4. Housing- I would like to live in a place where I can find a nice apartment

I like both big cities and smaller towns, I just would like to hear what people have to say about cities I might be interested in... Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Actually when I attended UT Austin I felt like I had severe mind-boggling culture shock. I thought I had stepped into the Andy Griffith show.........everyone was so redneck. Even when my parents visited they were astounded at how slow and "1970s" everything was.....

UT Dallas, SMU, or any college in Dallas should be perfect for the OP. You want to get the full college experience. And that does not include drinking and going to football games unless you are a redneck. The full college experience includes meeting a variety of people from different backgrounds and enjoying a variety of activities and social events that the city has to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
kaenniss,

The more I think about it, the more I think that maybe you'll be better off staying in California education-wise. Have you considered just moving to another part of the state?

California has excellent schools and I would put them up against anything in Texas.

The three most well-known public universities in Texas are UT, A&M, and Tech. UT is probably the most like a UC school but it's pretty overcrowded and Austin's nice and all but personally I'd prefer the experience at a UC school. Plus UT is a pain to transfer into. Their degree plans are a little loony.

A&M has a very fogyish atmosphere and it's going to be a severe culture shock for you. Being from California, you'd feel like you just stepped into the Andy Griffin Show at A&M, haha. I wouldn't really recommend it for you for that reason.

Tech is academically a major step down from UT and A&M, plus it is 300 miles out in the middle of no where. You won't really get to experience much of Texas if you're out in Lubbock.

I guess I could also mention Texas State but it's practically unknown outside of Texas so it might not be of much use to you if you plan on heading back to Cali. Also, the STD rate at Texas State is pretty high, just FYI. It is in a good location of the state if you want to experience the most out of Texas.

Personally if I were you I'd get a degree from a UC school and learn how to surf, but I'm not you, so take it with a grain of salt.

Westerner92, I actually just spent the summer in Santa Barbara AND I used to live in San Angelo AND Lubbock for several months, so no, I'm not trying to **** you off. I don't even know you.

If you don't think Lubbock is poor, then obviously you've never been to Santa Barbara or anywhere where the poverty rate isn't above average.

Lubbock has literally NO major industry outside of Texas Tech. The non-students in Lubbock are mostly self-employed people trying to scrape by. It's freaking 300 miles out in no where, what did you expect? Jeez man, no offense but have you lived in many places? We're talking about Lubbock, not Addison.
Even the houses in Lubbock are old (except the new development on the south side of town.)

I think it's hilarious and horrible advice that people are actually recommending Lubbock and San Angelo for a guy who's moving from Santa Barbara of all places.

You might as well be recommending him moving to Siberia.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:23 AM

216 posts, read 444,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaenniss View Post
I'm currently living in Santa Barbara, CA and going to college. I want to transfer to a University in Texas because I've always been drawn to the state I just am not sure which part of Texas to move to. Things I am taking into consideration are:
1. Weather- I don't mind hot weather or severe winters or anything I would just prefer to avoid humidity if that's even possible haha
2. Work- I want to move to a place where it won't be difficult to find a job with little experience
3. School- I want to be near a good University so that I can transfer but I will not be living on campus
4. Housing- I would like to live in a place where I can find a nice apartment

I like both big cities and smaller towns, I just would like to hear what people have to say about cities I might be interested in... Thanks!

1. Anything east of Abilene is going to be too similar to matter. It's funny hearing people from Houston, Dallas, and Austin arguing about who has the better weather. Houston's summers are a little worse, and Dallas has worse winters. But in the end it's all hot and muggy everywhere, so there's not much to consider in this category.

2. Dallas and Houston are probably your best bets. I've heard the same things as others about it difficult getting a job as a student in Austin. Sometimes after school as well if you have no experience.

3. Newsweek ranked the top four Texas universities this way:

1. Rice (Houston)
2. Texas (Austin)
3. SMU (Dallas)
4. A&M (College Station)

I believe all four were considered our only tier 1 universities. Regardless of those rankings, keep in mind that SMU and Rice are very expensive private schools. I wouldn't go unless I had a lot of scholarships. Texas is probably the most fun you can have in college in Texas, but it's fairly difficult to get into, and also the job situation is there. A&M is A&M. It's a large school with great engineering and veterinary programs. It's a very respected school overall with a great networking system if you decide to stay in Texas. However, it's in a small town that offers little to do and has a very conservative mindset. That's your call if you can deal with such things.

There are plenty of good schools though besides those four. UNT in Denton is just a stones throw from Dallas and Fort Worth but offers a smaller, college town atmosphere. Dallas/Fort Worth also has several satellite schools of the bigger universities as well. There are good things about Texas Tech. But consider the fact that you'll be hundreds of miles from any of the big Texas cities though. Lubbock is about the size of a Dallas suburb. Personally, in my opinion, the University of Houston is a pretty good public school that's affordable, has great college life, and you can live in a big, Texas city. It has a Div-1A college football program as well, which is attractive to me. For value, I think it's one of the best choices.

4. You'll be able to find a nice apartment in any of these cities. Austin is probably going to be the priciest though.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM

UT Dallas in Richardson, Texas ranks higher than UNT. It's also much closer to Dallas. Richardson is an excellent community. The city events are amazing. The Cottonwood arts festival is one of the best in Texas. The Wildflower Arts and Music festival is one of the hugest music festivals in Texas. They always feature a mixed line up of legends, modern super stars, and local artists.

UNT is okay if you want to major in jazz, film, liberal arts, or play therapy. I heard that Texas Women's University has an excellent nursing program. However, the town of Denton is grungy and backward. It has a mixed bag of fundamentalist rednecks posing as liberals and hipsters. The nightlife is good for a small Texas city. The students are raging alcoholics. However, it is very grungy and the traffic is beyond irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
There are plenty of good schools though besides those four. UNT in Denton is just a stones throw from Dallas and Fort Worth but offers a smaller, college town atmosphere. Dallas/Fort Worth also has several satellite schools of the bigger universities as well. There are good things about Texas Tech. But consider the fact that you'll be hundreds of miles from any of the big Texas cities though. Lubbock is about the size of a Dallas suburb. Personally, in my opinion, the University of Houston is a pretty good public school that's affordable, has great college life, and you can live in a big, Texas city. It has a Div-1A college football program as well, which is attractive to me. For value, I think it's one of the best choices.

4. You'll be able to find a nice apartment in any of these cities. Austin is probably going to be the priciest though.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:35 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,776,973 times
3. Newsweek ranked the top four Texas universities this way:

1. Rice (Houston)
2. Texas (Austin)
3. SMU (Dallas)
4. A&M (College Station)

I need a link to even start believing this. SMU is not a member of the Association of American Universities, which invites the best universities in the U.S. and Canada to join. Rice, Texas and A&M are the only Texas institutions.

Association of American Universities

SMU is not considered a Research 1 university in any list I know. If Newsweek produced this ranking - which I doubt - their journalists are clueless. SMU is a very solid tier 2 university, with an excellent business school and a regionally important law school. It has too few PhD programs and does not attract enough research funding to be a tier 1 school. That does not mean that you cannot get a very good education there, but to mention it in the same breath as the other 3 and to rank it above A&M is HUGE wishful thinking. It has always amazed me that DFW is the fourth largest MSA in the U.S., and lacks a single Research 1 university. Phoenix is the only other top 20 MSA that I can think of that shares this lack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas