Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

Well, if you don't mind being in Amish country, I would highly recommend Ethridge, Tennessee. It is right outside Lawrenceburg so you have your Walmart and chain restaurants and banks and all you need, etc. but you are far enough away that you have absolute peace and quiet. The Amish keep to themselves, but you are welcome to ride up to their farm and buy jams, jellies, furniture, baskets, vegetables, you name it. We buy strawberries, vegetables, rocking chairs, etc. We bought a sweet little minor fixer upper with over 5 acres for just under $200,000; in Williamson or Davidson county it would have been worth $600,000 or $700,000. It is a lot fun looking at the little children or the buggies going by. It is really beautiful in Ethridge, TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Samburg or Tiptonville TN

Literally in the middle of no where, people don't come there like they used to for hunting and fishing, and its home to the largest, natural, fresh water lake east of the Mississippi, outside of the great lakes.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:54 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Samburg or Tiptonville TN

Literally in the middle of no where, people don't come there like they used to for hunting and fishing, and its home to the largest, natural, fresh water lake east of the Mississippi, outside of the great lakes.
Lake Okeechobee in Florida is the largest natural, fresh water lake that is east of the Mississippi. Next is Lake Champlain. It's not a Great Lake, either, although it was called one for a very brief time. Then there is New York's Finger Lakes such as Seneca and Cayuga (each much larger), Moosehead Lake in Maine, Lake Oneida in New York; Lake Mattamuskeet, North Carolina; Lake Kissimmee and Lake Apopka in Florida, etc. Well, you get the idea.

It is the largest freshwater lake in Tennessee but how it was formed is what makes it so fascinating. The powerful New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 created the lake. The earthquakes were so powerful that they caused church bells to ring in Boston and Toronto and sidewalks to crack in Washington, D.C. The Mississippi River flowed backwards creating temporary waterfalls and creating Reelfoot Lake. FEMA has warned that another powerful quake in the area is possible with predictions of the "highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States."

By the way, Reelfoot is very shallow and somewhat swampy in many areas.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:56 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Lake Okeechobee in Florida is the largest natural, fresh water lake that is east of the Mississippi. Next is Lake Champlain. It's not a Great Lake, either, although it was called one for a very brief time. Then there is New York's Finger Lakes such as Seneca and Cayuga (each much larger), Moosehead Lake in Maine, Lake Oneida in New York; Lake Mattamuskeet, North Carolina; Lake Kissimmee and Lake Apopka in Florida, etc. Well, you get the idea.

It is the largest freshwater lake in Tennessee but how it was formed is what makes it so fascinating. The powerful New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 created the lake. The earthquakes were so powerful that they caused church bells to ring in Boston and Toronto and sidewalks to crack in Washington, D.C. The Mississippi River flowed backwards creating temporary waterfalls and creating Reelfoot Lake. FEMA has warned that another powerful quake in the area is possible with predictions of the "highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States."

By the way, Reelfoot is very shallow and somewhat swampy in many areas.
Its the total area of the lake that once was. Lots have filled in. And part of the okachobee is salt water marsh, why its not the largest.

At any rate, youre right, parts are very swampy. There are places that are 20 and 30 feet deep. Just have to know the lake.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:44 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its the total area of the lake that once was. Lots have filled in. And part of the okachobee is salt water marsh, why its not the largest.

At any rate, youre right, parts are very swampy. There are places that are 20 and 30 feet deep. Just have to know the lake.
First of all, no it is not the largest lake east of the Mississippi and I gave you a list of lakes that are much bigger. I could have given you a longer list but hey, I have a life.

Second, Lake Okeechobee is all freshwater.

Lake Okeechobee, Florida, USA Vacation Info - Lakelubbers

Third, Reelfoot's average depth is 6 feet, with a max of 18.

It is the largest freshwater lake in the state but not in the entire area east of the Mississippi.

Reelfoot Lake Vacation Info - Lakelubbers

The hyperbole has got to stop, and I'm being very kind by using that word. This is a forum for factual information.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:03 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Let's not get too worked up over posts. All viewpoints are welcome and everyone should verify information posted. One of the earlier posts on here mentioned to the OP to check out Bristol TN; we all know Bristol is well over 1000 people.

While the OP, a new poster at the time, has not been back since 2010, this thread was revived by another new poster. This thread is actually highlighting little towns that may be of interest to lurkers or future readers. All information is welcome and friendly banter back and forth makes the forum fun and inviting.

Seize the day! Beretta

Old 05-29-2014, 07:12 AM

86 posts, read 112,295 times
This thread has given me a few more great ideas on places to check out on our trip this June. It also confirmed some of the towns that other posters have recommended to me in my thread. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM

458 posts, read 1,272,265 times
Gilbert, WV. Realize that's not TN but meets all your criteria.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,541 times
Default small community

Smithville is a nice small town to live in. The population is more than what you want. There is about 5, 000 people in the city and a little more than 18, 000 in the county but still a nice place to live surrounded by the lake and mountains.

Louann

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio595 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to move to Tennessee, to a small, quiet community.
Things I'm looking for:
-Population under 1000
-Either a body of water or mountains nearby
-Has basic necessities like drug store, supermarket, etc. and a library

Please let me know if you know of any towns like this! Thank you!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveethridgetn View Post
Well, if you don't mind being in Amish country, I would highly recommend Ethridge, Tennessee. It is right outside Lawrenceburg so you have your Walmart and chain restaurants and banks and all you need, etc. but you are far enough away that you have absolute peace and quiet. The Amish keep to themselves, but you are welcome to ride up to their farm and buy jams, jellies, furniture, baskets, vegetables, you name it. We buy strawberries, vegetables, rocking chairs, etc. We bought a sweet little minor fixer upper with over 5 acres for just under $200,000; in Williamson or Davidson county it would have been worth $600,000 or $700,000. It is a lot fun looking at the little children or the buggies going by. It is really beautiful in Ethridge, TN.
I agree about ethridge. I love it here. 200,000 is too high, though you can get something like that closer to $100,000. It is really cheap here and safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee