Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 AM

176 posts, read 800,147 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear the opinions of the members of this forum concerning their favorite scenic small town or hamlet in TN. I'm especially interested in towns that have either a great natural feature (on a lake, pretty stream or river, great view or beautiful mountain setting, etc.) or an old-time look (nice town square, attractive old buildings even if a bit run-down, etc.)

Size isn't important, in fact, I'm looking for smaller, perhaps overlooked towns. What especially pretty towns have YOU seen in your travels throughout our great state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrradio View Post
I would like to hear the opinions of the members of this forum concerning their favorite scenic small town or hamlet in TN. I'm especially interested in towns that have either a great natural feature (on a lake, pretty stream or river, great view or beautiful mountain setting, etc.) or an old-time look (nice town square, attractive old buildings even if a bit run-down, etc.)

Size isn't important, in fact, I'm looking for smaller, perhaps overlooked towns. What especially pretty towns have YOU seen in your travels throughout our great state?
That's an interesting question that will probably have a lot of responses. I'm anxious to see what others say--it'll probably provide me some new places to visit on weekends when I just feel like hopping in my Jeep for a road trip!

Gainesboro has a quaint, old downtown right smack against some mountains (big hills). I think it's one of the most attractive small towns around.

I also like the downtown area of Dandridge because it's old and right on a big lake.

Rogersville is also nice, you can see the mountains from downtown.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:06 PM

506 posts, read 1,476,366 times
Mountain City has got to be up there. Greeneville & Jonesborough have charming downtowns with some beautiful mountain views.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 67,512 times
Mountain City is so close to ski areas and great hiking, and the people are very very nice!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:36 PM

60 posts, read 344,739 times
I've only seen pictures, but Jonesborough looks beautiful and it's the oldest town in Tennessee. It also hosts the International Storytelling Center and the annual Storytelling Festival.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,644 times
Default Most Scenic Town In TN

My vote goes to Jonesborough. It is Tennessee's oldest town and is rich in Early American architecture. It is convenient to larger towns and has lovely mountain views. Honorable mention goes to Rogersville, Greeneville, Mountain City and Elizabethton.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 14,557 times
Exclamation Help

Im new to Cookeville Tn and was wondering if anyone had any good tips on places to get married....The wedding is planned for June 30 and Im just not having any luck...Please if anyone knows anything about weddings here please get back to me. I really appreciate it!

Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
I'm from Middle Tennessee and I love the rolling hills of this area. There's some beautiful countryside and lakes around this area. However, it's hard to beat East Tennessee and the mountains for sheer scenic beauty. If you can find a small, charming town and location with a view of the mountains and maybe a stream or water nearby, you'll be all set.

;-)

Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,979,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistydawn01 View Post
Im new to Cookeville Tn and was wondering if anyone had any good tips on places to get married....The wedding is planned for June 30 and Im just not having any luck...Please if anyone knows anything about weddings here please get back to me. I really appreciate it!
Have you tried the Garden Inn at Bee Rock in Monterey? I'll PM the web site to you. I've had friends get married there before, and it is beautiful.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,327,628 times
I second, third and I believe forth, Jonesborough, Greeneville and Rogersville.
Erwin and Unicoi are also small and very scenic as they are the base of the Smokies and they are very over looked, but there are also some reasons for that. Those two are on the economical depressed side. Cosby would be another in that category but more of a "camp style" town. Townsend has GORGEOUS views but it seems like a lot of very expensive homes and vacation cabins have been popping up there lately. Not sure how long that will be kept smallish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee