Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 31,686 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are contemplating moving south to leave the cold, dreary winters behind. We are mid-fifties. Both of us would still be working. My husband loves to play golf. I am a tole painter and love to learn new arts. We have been checking into some 55+ active adult communities, mainly for the golf and planned activities. I'm not totally convinced on going this route. We both like vibrant small communities close to larger cities for shopping, cultural activities, airports, etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:14 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmarkel View Post
My husband and I are contemplating moving south to leave the cold, dreary winters behind. We are mid-fifties. Both of us would still be working. My husband loves to play golf. I am a tole painter and love to learn new arts. We have been checking into some 55+ active adult communities, mainly for the golf and planned activities. I'm not totally convinced on going this route. We both like vibrant small communities close to larger cities for shopping, cultural activities, airports, etc. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
A lot of people like retirement communities, but I don't think I would like that, either. I like living in an area with people of all ages and from all backgrounds.

You said you'll both be working, does that mean you'll both be looking for jobs?

If you're an artist, the Appalachian Center for Craft on the banks of Center Hill Lake is a wonderful resource. It's run by Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville. It's an hour from the Nashville airport which has the lowest air fares among Tennessee's airports (thanks largely to Southwest Airlines). Being a college town, Cookeville provides many cultural activities (symphony, art galleries, lecture series, etc.) and Nashville, of course, has an abundance of cultural activities. Serious shopping can be done in Nashville, although Cookeville would probably have most of what you'd need (Sam's Club, Kohl's, Belk, Sears, Penney's, TJMaxx, KMart, two Wal-Mart SuperCenters, among others).

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM

41 posts, read 184,120 times
Retire Tennessee
MIGHT BE A GOOD PLACE TO START

Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM

29 posts, read 119,688 times
Sewanee -Monteagle Tennessee, gated communities, Clifftops,Bridalveil,Cooleys Rift, The Cumberlands at Sewanee, Timberwood...etc..Shake Rag, (they have a web site) adult classes offered at Saint Andrews Sewanee School yearly,
golfing, Bear Hollow,very nice dinner theater, The Stage, outdoor live entertainment, Bonnaroo, (Manchester, this weekend I believe) reminds me of woodstock. So many things to see and do around here as well.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:02 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
A lot of folks your age seem to love the Tellico Village area. The closest city to that area is probably Lenoir City and the larger city is Knoxville.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:47 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
A friend of mine who was forced into early retirement and had a wish list quite similar to yours recently moved to Greeneville and loves it. It has easy access to Knoxville, the Tri-Cities and Asheville, N.C.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,395 times
Smile Consider relocating to Loudon County, Tn.

Quote:

We're biased toward Loudon County for one particluar reason, we love to square dance and Lenoir City has the largest square dance club in Tennessee, the Little T Squares. Come join us.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 38,564 times
Paris, TN and KY Lake area. You can't beat it.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:13 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,549 times
Default Your input please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieD View Post
Sewanee -Monteagle Tennessee, gated communities, Clifftops,Bridalveil,Cooleys Rift, The Cumberlands at Sewanee, Timberwood...etc..Shake Rag, (they have a web site) adult classes offered at Saint Andrews Sewanee School yearly,
golfing, Bear Hollow,very nice dinner theater, The Stage, outdoor live entertainment, Bonnaroo, (Manchester, this weekend I believe) reminds me of woodstock. So many things to see and do around here as well.

you seem to know the area - could you tell me what the difference is living in Monteagle versus Sewanee price wise and culturally? If you're not episcopalian, will you feel left out living in Sewanee?

Land cheaper in Monteagle?Both places seem pricey - I do not want to live in a gated community...I want a gentleman's farm - any suggestions? thanks 12b

Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
You want vibrant, get a loft in downtown Knoxville or one of the waterfront condos downtown. There are some gorgeous ones being built. Walk to shopping, restaurants, theaters (live and movie), museums, parks. Take a free trolley to University of Tennessee which has lots of arts and crafts classes in its Personal and Professional Development programs.
If you want golf course living, try Fox Den in Farragut. When I was looking for a condo I looked out there and was pretty impressed with the way it was laid out and the homes. Very well designed and well priced. I decided I needed to be closer to downtown.
There are some really nice condos in Knoxville that don't look at all like condos. More like homes where someone else mows the lawn and does maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee