Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 06:22 PM

39 posts, read 115,885 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to TN sometime in the new year, and I have no idea where in TN to do so. I have no clue as to the difference between East TN, and West TN and in the middle. I'd like to move somewhere that's close to the main city, to be near stores etc., but also far enough where I can be around the rolling hills and having a sense of community. Any help I can get, will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:14 PM

7,543 posts, read 17,271,056 times
Which main city? If you want to live near a city, you'll be choosing from Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville and the Tri-Cities. They're each very different - Chattanooga and Knoxville are the most similar but they're still verrrry different.

Sounds like you need to Wikipedia Tennessee (and click the links to West/Middle/East TN and the various cities) before you ask any more questions. Not being rude, just saving us all some time.

Also, just curious: why did you pick TN if you know nothing about it?

Old 12-20-2009, 07:19 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,571,006 times
The best place in Tennessee is where your heart tells you to be.....

Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,360,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
The best place in Tennessee is where your heart tells you to be.....
True!

Although I thought my heart was telling me Chattanooga, but it turned out to be Knoxville. I guess some people are not really good at listening to their heart.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM

I looking into Tennesse because it seems to have a lot of things I like and want. Weather wise, country music wise, and other things. As for being near what city, any major city. Although I know I don't want to be near Memphis (no offense to those who like it). So then it'd be between Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville, and the Tri-cities. I did take that '****' quiz, and I have a few places in TN that came up. Chattanooga and Clarksville. Those places good?

Old 12-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Youll want to move to where you can find a job. I'd start searching those cities for jobs. That's how we did our move.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Thanks hiknapster!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 PM

Once again, we can't tell you what's 'good' or not - this is a HUGE recipe for disaster. You're going to have to collect information for yourself and develop a list of what you want and don't want in a future home. It seems as though maybe you've already got that list, so why not share it with us? We can only help with the info you give us. Also, we can't act as a consultation or moving service, but we can help you once you decide where you're going with neighborhoods, services etc.

As for Clarksville, it's good. It's a city that has seen a LOT of growth in the past few years and is located north of metro Nashville. So if you're looking to be outside the major city far enough to have some breathing room, but still live somewhere with lots of amenities, it may be worth checking out. Clarksville is somewhat unique in this regard as the other mid-sized cities around Nashville are beginning to get clogged and congested - Murfreesboro for one.

Chattanooga is somewhat warmer than the other TN cities (except Memphis) and the city itself has a renewal/funky/urban/green vibe, but it's not overpowering at all - kinda like a sensible older sister of Asheville. Lots of focus on outdoor activities, whitewater, hiking, cycling, etc. The burbs are pretty conservative. The upshot is that you're only a hop, skip and jump away from Atlanta for a weekend trip or if you like travelling for dinner out.

By the way, I concur with hiknapster. If you're going to need a job, focus on that first. The job market in TN is really tight right now, especially in rural areas and in the Tri-Cities. Nashville's will pick back up first, I believe, and Knoxville/Chattanooga are still doing fairly well. Chattanooga is part of the growing megapolitan area between Atlanta (some say Birmingham), Greenville-Spartanburg, Charlotte and the Triad-Triangle areas of NC. Think of it as the Southern extension of BosWash. New jobs are coming to Chatty with a VW plant, and we all know the success of BMW in Spartanburg. Overall it seems like Chattanooga's planners and leaders are leading the pack in Tennessee as far as smart new growth is concerned.

Last edited by jabogitlu; 12-21-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 PM

Oh! I like that, Jab.

Chattanooga is Asheville's older, sensible sister. It also is more of a "red" city, compared to Asheville.

I think the VW plant will start things rolling in Chattanooga. In the meantime, Knoxville has the lowest unemployment rate of the largest metros. Chattanooga is closing in, though.

Clarksville's unemployment rate is not good at all, by the way.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:51 PM

You're right, I didn't know that. Looks like it was over 10% in October, with a peak of over 11% back in the summer. Chattanooga's Oct is 8.9%, peaking at 9.7% in the summer. Knoxville's is 8.4% (Oct) peaking in June at 9.3. [bls.gov]

The overall unemployment for 'The South' is 9.5 as of October. I'm not sure how the Bureau of Labor Statistics defines The South, though.

(As an aside, looks like the Tri-Cities is hovering around 9.05, which is an average of both the JC Metropolitan area and the Kingsport-Bristol MSA. Morristown is at 12.1 )

I hope you're right about the VW plant. Tennessee has some nice cities, but it's time we got in on the real action as far as (re)development and growth is concerned. Not a popular idea with many people, but I'd love to see a city in east TN that could compete with Greenville or Birmingham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee