Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2006, 07:39 PM

62 posts, read 176,523 times

Advertisements

In the area(s) around Johnson City, Sevierville, etc, I have heard that there are a bunch of new developments/communities, but darned if I can find any. I have searched the popular builders (khov, centex etc.) but they either don't have any places around there, or they are not publishing their info.

Anyone know of new communities, and who is/are building them?

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 08:10 PM

130 posts, read 566,495 times
There is a lot but none of the nationals, all regional and local builders. I work in construction and can state with full certainty that it's BUSY.

It was quite a change coming from Florida where a builder doing 700 houses a year was considered "medium".

Joe

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,366 times
Default Escaping Fla too

JoeP,

My husband and I and are also considering a move to the Johnson City area. And too much building in Fla is one of the reasons. Too many people and too expensive. Being in construction, could you give us the names of the local builders and some community names please? And as an expert, your opinion of the quality. The big builders seem to to be building the houses like they were on an assembly line. If we weren't retiring, I wouldn't mind an "older" home but just don't have the energy anymore.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:31 PM

62 posts, read 176,523 times
Default Housing

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I probably should clarify what I am looking for. There are areas in NC, mainly around Raleigh and/or Charlotte, where specific builders build communities, usually consisting of a few select house styles, but the underground work (water, sewer drainage) and surface amenities, such as lawn etc are already done by the time the house is ready for move in. The prices we have seen are reasonable.

We are looking for similar communities/developments around Johnson City, Sevierville; that area. I have tried some of the more well known builders websites, but they don't show anything for that area.

Can you give me the name of some of the builders in that area who are building communities and/or developments?

Thanks, I appreciate it

Rip

Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 AM

130 posts, read 566,495 times
Well, to help answer a few questions at once:

There are a number of subdivided communities in the area, especially in the northern part of JC. Although the unincorporated areas typically are not zoned or restricted, the actual communities generally have deed restrictions, facade restrictions, etc. Living in the unincorporated areas is a double edge sword since the good news is that you can do whatever you want with your property, the bad news is that your neighbors can too. Sure, you can build a big house with a gorgeous lawn and beautiful exterior but your neighbor can put up a Bubba Dubba Wide and farm goats in his front lawn. In fact, it's nothing to drive through towns like Alcoa, Erwin, Mountain City, Doe Valley, etc and see every dwelling imaginable from beautiful custom log homes to single wides with weeds to the roof. Communities typically have preplanned sites with three to six builders to choose from.

Also, as an aside, one thing that sort of shocked me about this area is that the builders actually build. Coming from Florida where a builder is little more than a scheduler, the builders here actual build....with tools and everything! There is some subcontracting but it's nothing to see a builder doing the framing, trim, drywall, cabinets, etc. As a result, it seems to me that the overall quality of construction is much beter here.

As far as builders go, I can recommend a few but I'm sure the moderators will delete the names since it would be psuedo-advertising. If anyone wants specifics, shoot me a PM.

Joe

Old 08-08-2006, 05:22 PM

19 posts, read 112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripath
In the area(s) around Johnson City, Sevierville, etc, I have heard that there are a bunch of new developments/communities, but darned if I can find any. I have searched the popular builders (khov, centex etc.) but they either don't have any places around there, or they are not publishing their info.

Anyone know of new communities, and who is/are building them?

Thanx
Visit [link deleted]. He is developing Magnolia Manor in Seymour, Tennessee. There is Majestic Meadows, Landmark Point, Regency Park...I can name bunches more if you want in the Sevierville area

Last edited by Yac; 08-09-2006 at 02:17 PM..

Old 08-08-2006, 06:54 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,025 times
We found Murfreesboro. Can anyone comment on the area please? Or any sub divisions that may also be nice around Nashville?

Thanks!

Old 08-09-2006, 11:13 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley
We found Murfreesboro. Can anyone comment on the area please? Or any sub divisions that may also be nice around Nashville?

Thanks!
Murfreesboro is about 100 years behind Nashville.
Brentwood and Franklin areas outside of Nashville are nice.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:40 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Murfreesboro is about 100 years behind Nashville.
Brentwood and Franklin areas outside of Nashville are nice.
Can you explain?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:57 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,423 times
Nashville tends to reflect more of a New South attitude.
Murfreesboro is still Old South Middle Tennessee compared to Nashvegas. That of course is somewhat mitigated by the colleges and the rapid growth.
Now that may be what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee