Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM

23 posts, read 44,615 times

Advertisements

me and my wife and are two girls are looking for info. on great little towns in eastern tenn.will be visiting dollywood in dec. and would love to visit towns.i goota say that we are from new jersey.and are very willing to make multiple trips to visit these towns..as said we are from n.j. but are looking for towns where transports or yankys are very few.raised new jersey for 28 of my 33 years alive.and we have had it with the attitudes and the up north b.s. way of living.taxes,CRIME,.we are country music ,porch sitting, tea sipping,god loving family. also my daughters attend cathlic school and church.which we have also tired of the buisness like aspect of it.let me mention that are home is valued at 220,00+.and its only 800sq 2bed 1bath in a older nice town.with taxes at 3,800yr.but cant use schools cause they are busing in city kids and illegal kids to go to school on are tax dollar..so its private school at 11,000 a yearhelp or advice be greatly thanked.also wifes a teacher so area around nice schools be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelticink View Post
me and my wife and are two girls are looking for info. on great little towns in eastern tenn.will be visiting dollywood in dec. and would love to visit towns.i goota say that we are from new jersey.and are very willing to make multiple trips to visit these towns..as said we are from n.j. but are looking for towns where transports or yankys are very few.raised new jersey for 28 of my 33 years alive.and we have had it with the attitudes and the up north b.s. way of living.taxes,CRIME,.we are country music ,porch sitting, tea sipping,god loving family. also my daughters attend cathlic school and church.which we have also tired of the buisness like aspect of it.let me mention that are home is valued at 220,00+.and its only 800sq 2bed 1bath in a older nice town.with taxes at 3,800yr.but cant use schools cause they are busing in city kids and illegal kids to go to school on are tax dollar..so its private school at 11,000 a yearhelp or advice be greatly thanked.also wifes a teacher so area around nice schools be great.
I think you will find much of Tennessee to your liking as I do. My wife and I plan to retire in Putnam County between Cookeville and Crossville in a few years. Unfortunately, you will still find crime even in Tennessee, but you will likely see less violent crime there (with the exception of possibly Memphis). Most of what you will see in smaller cities/towns in Tennessee is petty theft, burgulary, and drug related crimes. You will never be able to completely get away from crime. The overall cost of living in Tennessee (including property tax), especially in the rural areas, is lower than most other places. The people of Tennessee tend to be very friendly and most people are religious.

What size city of town are you looking for?

Is being near a major airport a consideration?

How old are your daughters? (Elementary, middle school, junior high ages?)

Will finding a job be a consideration?

The city of Cookeville has about 30,000 residents and I've learned from this forum that it has great schools. Cookeville is a large enough city to provide all of the goods and services you could ever need. It also has a hospital.

The city of Crossville, east of Cookeville, has about 10,000 residents and also has a hospital.

If you are looking for even smaller cities/towns, I'm sure that other people on this forum could provide you with suggestions.

Good luck in your search for that special place?

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 44,615 times
thanks for the info.i live in mercer county and we have 95,000+so any county,town under 50,000 b great.also kids in elementry school. and wife loves teaching elementry .so towns with good schools to send kids to and wife work at be a bonus...good luck to you too

Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,476 times
I don't know if you've seen the information that city-data.com provides, but if not, check out the links below on Cookeville and Crossville, TN.

Cookeville
https://www.city-data.com/city/Cookeville-Tennessee.html

Crossville
https://www.city-data.com/city/Crossville-Tennessee.html

Old 09-11-2009, 03:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
There are lots of places you could look. Unfortunately small towns rarely provide good medical or educational benefits. Some mid-sized cities like Cookeville, Kingsport, Johnson City, Maryville, Lebanon-Mt. Juliet would probably be more to your liking.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:25 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
There are lots of places you could look. Unfortunately small towns rarely provide good medical or educational benefits. Some mid-sized cities like Cookeville, Kingsport, Johnson City, Maryville, Lebanon-Mt. Juliet would probably be more to your liking.
Don't forget Greeneville!

Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Just remember that a small town in Tennessee may not feel like a small town in the northeast.

I'm from a small town of 14,000 in the northeast, in my 40s, with a nine-year-old. After renting in a community of 4,000, for three years, I moved to Knoxville where I fit in better. Also, the schools are very good in Knoxville. In most of the small towns the educational system can be a challenge.

Come and visit so that you can get a feel for the area. It's different than the northeast, but in a very good way. But you may think you are comparing apples to apples when you are acually comparing apples to green beans!

Old 09-11-2009, 06:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
Don't forget Greeneville!
Like I said, small towns rarely provide good medical or educational benefits. I lived there for 18 years... it provides neither.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Like I said, small towns rarely provide good medical or educational benefits. I lived there for 18 years... it provides neither.
Oh my. I thought Greeneville's city schools were supposed to be ok, and the 2 hospitals in town were supposed to be decent. I'm sorry to hear that's apparently not the case.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Oh my. I thought Greeneville's city schools were supposed to be ok, and the 2 hospitals in town were supposed to be decent. I'm sorry to hear that's apparently not the case.
I don't think that the hospitals are bad at all. They aren't tertiary, but they are good community hospitals. I had heard that the city schools are decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee