Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,903 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm in Indiana and facing a possible relocation to Eastern TN due to a job transfer.... I like the idea and this forum has helped me a lot. A few concerns: I've heard good and bad comments about Morristown...any more ideas ? Tri-Cities are 60 miles from my possible job....too far for driving and Greeneville is to small for me, we're used to larger cities. In the area, I saw that Morristown has 2 hospitals, a mall and it's 45 minutes from Knoxville, would be a bad idea to live there ? Comments please !!! By the way, I found a few new homes with reasonable prices, I'm not sure about the schools, I'm married, with a 3 Yr. old child. We're in our mid 30's. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Hello. I'm in Indiana and facing a possible relocation to Eastern TN due to a job transfer.... I like the idea and this forum has helped me a lot. A few concerns: I've heard good and bad comments about Morristown...any more ideas ? Tri-Cities are 60 miles from my possible job....too far for driving and Greeneville is to small for me, we're used to larger cities. In the area, I saw that Morristown has 2 hospitals, a mall and it's 45 minutes from Knoxville, would be a bad idea to live there ? Comments please !!! By the way, I found a few new homes with reasonable prices, I'm not sure about the schools, I'm married, with a 3 Yr. old child. We're in our mid 30's. Thanks
Compared to some places, Morristown's not too bad. If it were in West Tennessee, I'd say Morristown would be the nicest town around. But in East Tennessee, it's not. The schools are so-so, and over 10% of the city is Hispanic--that's not meant to be a racist comment but more of a comment about the local economy. Morristown has as many Hispanics as Knoxville even though Knoxville is 7 times larger. Morristown is very industrial; factory jobs comprise the largest sector of the economy, and the unemployment rate is fairly high. There are two hospitals in Morristown like you said, but they're both pretty small. Greeneville's one hospital is about the size of Morristown's two hospitals combined. (Greeneville is smaller than Morristown, but Greene County is larger than Hamblen County.)

The area around Morristown is beautiful, it's located near a couple of large lakes. The mall there is small but decent; it has Belk, Sears, JCPenney, and Kohl's. Morristown has a bunch of fast-food joints and a small handful of casual sit-down restaurants; otherwise, people there go to Knoxville for a night out on the town.

I don't know where in Indiana you're coming from, but Morristown might be an improvement, or it might not be. It's not the most attractive place in East Tennessee, but it's better than anything in West Tennessee.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Thank you for the comments, so it appears that I should keep Morristown in the list and take a better look at Greeneville. I don't think I have a problem with the hispanic 10% population and leaving close to work would be a great improvement for me, today I drive 30 miles each way, about 45 minutes. I could always go to Knoxville on weekends and even on a few nights a week. The lakes around Morristown also called my attention.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,331,088 times
My choice, would be Greeneville over the two. Just a quiet correction, Greeneville has two hospitals, Laughlin Memorial and Tacoma Hospitals.
Reasons for Greeneville would be it is closer to JC (if you take 11E) yet an easy drive to Morrristown in the other direction. Also, Morristown is dry, there are no clubs or restaurants where you can have a glass of wine with dinner, except one funky "members only club" restaurant that you have to buy a yearly membership fee ($5.00 I believe) It is good food, but expensive!
Yes, the water is nice but the rest of the Mo'town, I perceive as being on the dirty side.
I posted some pictures of the east side of town a few weeks back if you are interested, just go back a few pages here.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,381,514 times
Hello, Hoosier07. Morristown was the first manufacturing mecca in East Tennessee back in the fifties and sixties and now has an "old and dirty" appearance because of its farflung industrial sites. But it does have a top notch community college, Walters State. Greeneville was one of America's Top 10 industrial recruiting communities in the nineties and has a more aesthetic appearance than Morristown with a somewhat smaller population. It is about as convenient to the Tri-Cities as Morristown is to Knoxville. All things considered, I would choose Greeneville.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Thanks everybody for the explanations and additional info. I spoke with wife and she's from a large city.....Greeneville is kinda too small for us.....we don't know what to do....drive from Tri-Cities to Morristown....hmmmm....don't think so....anyway....let's see. By the way, thanks for the pictures of a few weeks ago, I found them.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:00 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Thanks everybody for the explanations and additional info. I spoke with wife and she's from a large city.....Greeneville is kinda too small for us.....we don't know what to do....drive from Tri-Cities to Morristown....hmmmm....don't think so....anyway....let's see. By the way, thanks for the pictures of a few weeks ago, I found them.
You could easily drive to Morristown from the outskirts of Knoxville.

But it sounds like you should just come down for a visit. You might like Morristown after all.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 PM

506 posts, read 1,476,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You could easily drive to Morristown from the outskirts of Knoxville.
Yeah, I'd recommend that. If you moved to any of the tri-cities (Johnson City, Bristol, Kingsport), you'd be over 60 miles away from Morristown and I'm not so sure any of the tri-cities would be big enough for y'all anyway. Knoxville to Morristown would only be about 45 miles, but the traffic can be pretty bad in Knoxville depending on the time of day.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM

I agree, the other way is also valid, if I move to Morristown, I will be close to family since the job I'm looking for is in the city and we can always go to Knoxville for shopping or a nice dinner. During the weekends, we will be located in a good area for the mountains, lakes, Tri-cities and Knoxville. I believe I've made my decision....I also found nice houses in the Morristown area.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:19 PM

7 posts, read 29,089 times
Hello Hoosier07,

I also have to relocate to Morristown, TN. Can you share your experience in terms of finding a good school, housing, etc..? Your help will be much appreciated in indicating the good school zone(s) and the best side of the town to live in. Thanking you and anybody else who may provide the info requested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee