Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 06:13 AM

4 posts, read 13,847 times

Advertisements

I live in Morristown and I work in Greeneville. I prefer Morristown, I live 5 min from the lake and its very beautiful. Morristown dosen't look as old and rundown as it did a few years ago. They have been updating our downtown area for the last couple of years. There are a few areas that still need updating though. Morristown is very diverse but, I think it makes it a little more interesting. Schools on the west end are best, there is Alpha Elementary, Manley Elementary and West View Middle School. The best private school is All Saint Episcipal School (k-8) there are also a few more very small private christian schools. Housing prices are a little higher on the west end but still reasonable.
It takes about 45 min to an hour to get to Knoxville and about an hour to an hour and a half to get to the tri-cities.
I drive 35 miles one way for work in Greeneville, it takes about 45 min, an hour if traffics bad. Greeneville is mostly farmland with one main strip in town. It's not too interesting. Theres a small shopping center, a new movie theater and a new wal-mart. Hope any of this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 PM

6 posts, read 49,009 times
Hi: I don't know if you've already decided to move to Morristown. I'd suggest living on the west side and using the Alpha, Westview Schools or using All Saints' Episcopal for a private school. Many churches have Mom's day out where you can get child care. I would not suggest living in East Knoxville if you are talking about schools and safety. You can get to Knoxville in 30 minutes or so from the west side of Morristown. Johnson City is just an hour north. Greenville has a nice downtown and some historic sections. It doesn't have the industrial feel of Morristown. Greenville is closer to Jonesboro ( a neat place) too. If you watch the real estate magazines, the Tri-Cities area is really heating up. The prices in western NC are getting so high, folks are moving over to TN (no income tax). Tri-Cities and Dandridge are full of transplants if you want some company. You might want to look at Dandridge. It's on the lake, a straight shot to Knoxville and you'd be in Jefferson County schools. Morristown is getting a fair number of Floridians and folks from Ohio and Michigan. The town is really improving. There are hispanics, but also some Japanese and Germans/Austrians have come in with industry. There are colleges in Greenville, Morristown and Jefferson City. There's a very nice new St. Mary's hospital in Jefferson City (15 miles or so from the west side of Morristown). Several Knoxville physicians have part time offices in Morristown and Jeff City. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 PM

7 posts, read 29,102 times
Thank you lindseyelaine and NCTNOH for the great info. This will help us to make a decision.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,835 times
For info on the M'town area try..

gomorristown.com

Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 PM

20 posts, read 62,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Hello. I'm in Indiana and facing a possible relocation to Eastern TN due to a job transfer.... I like the idea and this forum has helped me a lot. A few concerns: I've heard good and bad comments about Morristown...any more ideas ? Tri-Cities are 60 miles from my possible job....too far for driving and Greeneville is to small for me, we're used to larger cities. In the area, I saw that Morristown has 2 hospitals, a mall and it's 45 minutes from Knoxville, would be a bad idea to live there ? Comments please !!! By the way, I found a few new homes with reasonable prices, I'm not sure about the schools, I'm married, with a 3 Yr. old child. We're in our mid 30's. Thanks

We are moving to the Morristown area from Orlando, FL. We looked around East TN quite a bit. We wanted something that was rural but not too far out. Morristown is a town that will be growing in the future. There are some very high end lake community developments. As houses are built they will be expensive ones. We wanted to have lake access and be close to the mountains as well but with no snow! Yes they may get a little but it is gone in a day or two. Greenville is a pretty area and they do have a good hospital. My wife is an RN and has looked at working in Morristown or even driving to Greenville.

Home prices are great in town. If you want to be on the lake you will pay a lot more but you have a lot of benifits. Check out Turner's Landing which is about 10 mins East of Morristown off of 11E. I don't know about the school systems. I don't think TN is high on the ranking so you will have to be sure your daughter gets some education at home as well.

As far as the crime rate is seems pretty low. In Orlando there is a murder of violent crime every day. Not sure what that other person deal with Hispanics. We lived in Phoenix for 30 years so no big deal.

Unless you want to live in Knoxville I would say Morristown is a good bet.

Good luck!

If any transplants want pictures of the Cherokee lake area just e-mail me.

JR

Last edited by mbmouse; 08-14-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 08-14-2007, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,624 times
You should get a copy of the Hello! Morristown magazine. It is a great community magazine to help businesses generate more business and a way to update people on their neighbors in glossy color pages. You can call their office at 423-200-4144 to get a copy.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:03 PM

13,366 posts, read 40,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR&Chris View Post
We are moving to the Morristown area from Orlando, FL. We looked around East TN quite a bit. We wanted something that was rural but not too far out. Morristown is a town that will be growing in the future. There are some very high end lake community developments. As houses are built they will be expensive ones. We wanted to have lake access and be close to the mountains as well but with no snow! Yes they may get a little but it is gone in a day or two. Greenville is a pretty area and they do have a good hospital. My wife is an RN and has looked at working in Morristown or even driving to Greenville.
My goodness, is your wife thinking of commuting to South Carolina to work? Greenville is in SC, Greeneville is in TN.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,579,128 times
Does Morristown still have the elevated side walks? Why I ask is back in the early 50's they had this project too put elevated side walks in for more business space down town. I remember as a child running around looking down on the street below............

Old 08-19-2007, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,281 times
Love to see that folks discover good points about Morristown, too---we have a lot to offer--and you will have an opportunity to pitch in and contribute--definitely not a "closed" society! Come help build for the future--our first female mayor is leading the charge, yes taxes were raised--still much lower than MANY other places--getting the community center built and cleaning things up inside and out seems to be her plan--many folks are signing on to HELP....

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 10,261 times
Hoosier07, I saw your post about Stonebuilder. It is actually Stone Builders. Stone Builders builds great homes and nice subdivisions. The website is [url=http://www.stonebuilders.net]Stone Builders - Morristown, TN - Home Page[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee