Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 57,293 times

Advertisements

I need some helpful advice/ information. I have avoided driving in the mountains since my Dad always scared me on family vacations as a child.
Next weekend I must drive from the flat lands of eastern NC to Pigeon Forge.
My husband is unable to go and its important that I get there so I going to try it. The part that I am uncomfortable with is going down the mountain and I feel the need to stay on my brake but I know I won't have any when I get to the bottom. I know you can use the other gears to keep from going so fast, but which one, 1st or 2nd and how do you know when its time to go there? Also do you need those gears when you are climbing up the mountain?
I plan to take I -40 and know there is a steep are around Black Mtn/ Old Fort near Asheville. Does anyone know what I40 is like between Asheville and Tennessee border? and then on into Tennesee? Which route would be the easiest once I leave the interstate and head to Pigeon Forge? It was suggested route 66 but I know nothing about it. We took the Foothills parkway a few years ago but I don't remember if it was steep and curvy?
I really do need any information and will appreciate it if anyone knows this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen G View Post
I need some helpful advice/ information. I have avoided driving in the mountains since my Dad always scared me on family vacations as a child.
Next weekend I must drive from the flat lands of eastern NC to Pigeon Forge.
My husband is unable to go and its important that I get there so I going to try it. The part that I am uncomfortable with is going down the mountain and I feel the need to stay on my brake but I know I won't have any when I get to the bottom. I know you can use the other gears to keep from going so fast, but which one, 1st or 2nd and how do you know when its time to go there? Also do you need those gears when you are climbing up the mountain?
I plan to take I -40 and know there is a steep are around Black Mtn/ Old Fort near Asheville. Does anyone know what I40 is like between Asheville and Tennessee border? and then on into Tennesee? Which route would be the easiest once I leave the interstate and head to Pigeon Forge? It was suggested route 66 but I know nothing about it. We took the Foothills parkway a few years ago but I don't remember if it was steep and curvy?
I really do need any information and will appreciate it if anyone knows this area.
It's been awhile since I have been on 40 going to NC, so I can't answer that. Route 66 is pretty flat, except for a little hill or two. The Foothills Parkway is curvy, especially as you get close to the mountains.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM

117 posts, read 488,088 times
Do you have the manual for your car? I looked at mine and it tells you what gears are for what and when to use them. If you don't have yours, it may be on line or you can google about driving in mountains or something like that

Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Use lower gears when climbing in elevation and when coming down from elevation, you can use a lower gear to slow the car down, like go to fourth or even third but listen to your engine and if it sounds stressed, then don't downshift too far - you have to use the brake to slow down.
The sound of your engine should tell you what you need to know. As you climb in elevation, it'll get sluggish in too high a gear and you'll need to come down to third most likely, even down to second if it's that steep.
Remember if all else fails, you've still got your emergency brake. Just stay in the right lanes if you get nervous and be very tolerant and respectful of the big rigs if they're out there
My sister used to fly around mountain curves with 1000 ft. drop offs in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California when we were teenagers. My stomach was in my throat and I'd try not to look out the window downward as the view was often a sharp dropoff to a ravine somewhere hundreds of feet below. She didn't care the least and turned up her Go-Go's tape and ignored me while singing "We Got the Beat" at the top of her lungs!
I still don't like driving in steep areas and the California grapevine is another one I hate to drive on because of how steep it is.
You'll be fine. If the weather is bad, postpone.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:45 AM

421 posts, read 1,690,556 times
Just looking at the map,if you are coming up from NC on I-40,you can take the "Foothills Parkway" exit,Hwy 321 exit toward Gatlinburg.If you miss that exit go on up& take the hwy 411 exit toward Sevierville.Both of these will save you an hour or more rather than going all the way around to take the hwy 66 route! If you take the 321 or "Foothills Parkway",before you get into Gatlinburg you should see a turnoff that will take you around to the north & put you out near Pigeon Forge.
Don't worry about it.You can do it,I promise you!

firepower

Old 03-02-2007, 06:07 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I feel the need to say something here about I-40 from NC to TN. It is not that steep, but it is curvy! It has several miles worth of "switch backs" and this is the route most of the semi trucks take through the mountains. The speed limit may say 50 but everyone seems to go 65 plus, like they are driving on a Nascar race track! It maybe flatter, but for me it is way more scary than any kind of grade. My suggestion to you would be if you are coming from anywhere near Asheville or east of there, take 26 over the mountains, this maybe a bit more up and down, but not very steep. Then take 81 to 40 (it just becomes 40 25 miles down the road) to the Sevierville Exit.
If you are west of Asheville, take the Smokie Mountain Parkway, much easier drive and folks seem to drive at a normal speed. If you have an automatic car, just don't hit the gas much on the way down and you will be fine. If you have a 5 speed, use 4th or 3rd (depending on the sound of your engine) on the way down. This dumps you right into Gatlinburg, then go the 6 or so miles to Pigeon Forge.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM

40 posts, read 207,782 times
I'm no psychologist, but this sounds to me like an irrational fear carried from childhood.

A fear of falling off the road.

My family travelled to West Virginia when I was a child and remember a similar feeling, it is a desire to be in control.

The major roads now are not like they were 30 years ago. They all have wide lanes, and guard rails that are embedded.

If you relax, and remember that you have nothing to fear and that you will not be falling off the sides of the road, the ride will not only be a safe one, but enjoyable as well.

Just stay in the right hand lane, and drive as you normally would....safely within posted speed limits.

On the other hand if you worry yourself into a state of fear, you will be more likely to practice unsafe driving.

Good luck, and safe driving!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I'm not sure I understand this fear of driving on a federal interstate through the mountains. It's an interstate, not a country road. But mbmouse is right, it's VERY curvy. It's also very beautiful.

I drive between Knoxville and Asheville on I-40 at least once a month (I have a cabin near Asheville), and it's really a pleasant drive. Trucks are supposed to stay in the right lane, and for the most part they really do.

A few cars zip along like they're on the NASCAR circuit, but for the most part most cars stick pretty close to the speed limit. (It's funny, you see cars with Michigan and Indiana tags that are poking along as if they're terrified of driving in the mountains, cars from South Carolina that drive defiantly in the left lane to make sure everyone is following the speed limit, and cars from Tennessee and North Carolina who weave in and out of the traffic, shaking their heads at everyone else.)

If you stay the speed limit, you won't have any problems. It's MUCH quicker than taking Hwy 70 or--heaven forbid--Hwy 441 between Cherokee NC and Gatlinburg. And while taking I-26 to Johnson City and then I-81 down to I-40 sounds nice, it'll add an hour to your drive.

The quickest and easiest way to get to Pigeon Forge from Asheville is to take I-40 over the mountains, then take Hwy 411 in Newport to Sevierville. Hwy 411 has very few curves, and it's a very good road.

If you do want a little bit more scenery, though, Foothills Parkway is a nice road. It does have quite a few curves, but there are also no trucks allowed so you don't have to worry about crazy semi trucks that obstruct views.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I was scared to ride on the Blueridge Parkway until my husband took to Colorado and we drove on the Million Dollar Hwy between Durango and Ouray, the cured me real quick!

Old 03-02-2007, 07:06 PM

48 posts, read 184,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I was scared to ride on the Blueridge Parkway until my husband took to Colorado and we drove on the Million Dollar Hwy between Durango and Ouray, the cured me real quick!
WOW!!!YOU'RE NOT KIDDING! Been there, done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee