Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:24 AM

91 posts, read 133,134 times

Advertisements

We're driving from Maryland to Dollywood the week of Christmas, and the route shows I-81 via Virginia to I-40 to I-66 to 411 to Veterans Blvd.

Now I'm terrified of mountain/downhill driving and I had panic attacks driving from Atlanta to GAtlinburg few years back and via Smokies to NC (i-40) .

I've been looking for info of any scary steep winding downhill stretches on I-81 , I-40, I-66, 411 etc. is it bad there?
I live on Long Island and its all flat here, and need to know how the driving terrain is on this route?

What is this I-81,I-40 similar to? I've driven over I-78 in PA to I-81 and there is a stretch on I-78 between Bethlehem and Easton that is steep.

Heard about I-81 over Christiansburg gets steep

Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
When was Interstate 66 extended into Tennessee?

I am not a fan of Interstate 40 entering North Carolina. It has congestion and instances of rock slides. Interstate 26 is a great and safer alternative.

Tennessee 66 into Sevierville is the best way to go.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:08 PM

I meant Tennessee 66. Is that a relatively flat road?
What about I-81 and I-40 going into Pigeon Forge?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:49 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Have good tires and good brakes, and watch a few YouTube videos about driving hills. I grew up in a very hilly area, Northeastern PA, and learned how to drive that when I was a teen. I lived for years in Eastern NC--which is seriously flat--but still visited the folks a couple of times a year.

You'll be fine. You will. You won't like it, but that's a different matter. I'd have a nervous breakdown if I had to regularly drive on Long Island.

The Gerania answer is to listen to calming music in scary situations.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Gerania - Thanks for your advice! But LI is very flat , hope you're talking about traffic
Anyways, my heart starts racing, my hands start sweating as they clench the wheel tightly and fear that I'll lose control of the car, will roll down , hit some other car due to brake failure , and if I slow down , what if the fast moving cars behind me hit me etc. etc. ....the panoramic view of hills and so called beautiful scenery instead gives shudders of death looming ..
I seriously need to overcome this phobia..which I feel stems for acrophobia, I just dont do well with heights
The drive is for 4 family vacation so I have to be one of the drivers so I don't have option of flying...

Old 11-26-2018, 03:37 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
It's never as bad as you think it will be.
I know this sounds like Alfred E Newman's guide to travel but it almost always holds true.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:48 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,258 times
Take the I-81, I-40, TN 66 route and you'll be fine. I've driven that route from near Roanoke and don't recall anything that would bother you. I-81 runs in the valleys, not in the mountains. I'm pretty sure it's the same north of Roanoke. Looking at the map I don't see any winding/twisting sections so any elevation changes must be pretty gradual. I-40 doesn't get "interesting" until well east of the I-81 interchange. TN 66/441/321 from I-40 to Pigeon Forge is pretty much flat.....mountains are just south of Pigeon Forge as you go to Gatlinburg.

Interstate highways aren't as scary as secondary roads since they're multi lane, wide, divided and tend to have more gradual curves. You probably wouldn't enjoy I-40 into North Carolina though....

Old 11-26-2018, 06:46 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times
The road is mostly flat and straight as it runs through two valleys. The only elevation change is between Roanoke and Christiansburg and while there are gentle curves it is nothing like I-40 through the smokies. Of course I am used to driving through TN, but I didn't even notice a slope until I noticed the elevation change on one of these discussions. Of course then I noticed it, but it is not bad in any one place just gradual for 15-20 miles. Were you OK on 75 in north Georgia?

TN 66 goes up and over a ridge after you exit I-40 but it is straight as an arrow with many lanes.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 PM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlights99 View Post
Gerania - Thanks for your advice! But LI is very flat , hope you're talking about traffic
Anyways, my heart starts racing, my hands start sweating as they clench the wheel tightly and fear that I'll lose control of the car, will roll down , hit some other car due to brake failure , and if I slow down , what if the fast moving cars behind me hit me etc. etc. ....the panoramic view of hills and so called beautiful scenery instead gives shudders of death looming ..
I seriously need to overcome this phobia..which I feel stems for acrophobia, I just dont do well with heights
The drive is for 4 family vacation so I have to be one of the drivers so I don't have option of flying...
I've lived in Southern New Jersey and Eastern North Carolina, so I became a flat lander while living there. I know how you feel. Really, I do. I was sure I was going to die when when I visited a friend who moved to West Virginia, but I'm still here.

I'm afraid of heights, long bridges, and steep hills. I can usually avoid tall buildings, but bridges and hills are everywhere on the east coast. If you can drive on Long Island and not be rear ended, you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Watch those YouTube videos about engine braking and downshifting. You have an emergency brake, too. You're not going to roll off a cliff to your death.

I'm the clumsiest person in the world and even I didn't do that.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks all for your advice.
Is the downshifting and engine braking for automatic as well or manual stick ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee