Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think I might have posted this before, but if you have fish in your pond, pick off the hornworms and feed them to the fish. Fish also love Japanese beetles.
Hornworms are the grossest things, though. Icky.
I didn't have any hornworms this year only last year.

Great idea about the Japanese beetles(I have plenty of those). I'll have to remember that for next summer

Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
I know crickets never did anything mean to me, but if you're walking around the pond and see a cricket, throw it way out in the water. See how far it swims back to the bank before a fish gets it. lol

Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 17,074 times
we have 10 laying hens. we like to catch grasshoppers and hand feed them to the chickens. we also like to put floating food pellets in our koi pond. it is fun watching them swim up and feed.

by the way giving a grass hopper to one chicken is going to end up in a fight!!

Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,819 times
Hello Lisa,

I wanted to thank you for a wonderful read. I've spent a good amount of time over the past week or so reading through this post... And then I also read your Florida posts, you're a great author and I'm glad I was able to find your post as I've learned a lot of information from it. I read every post and every reply, and was amazed at how helpful and knowledgeable people are on this forum.

I too am starting to look for a home in the East Tennessee mountains. I'm a Network Security Engineer that has full remote capacity for my current job, and have never felt at home in the big cities or suburbs. I grew up in Northern Virginia, and my happiest memories of my childhood involve the Shenandoah valley, and West Virginia mountains. I still need to visit the area, but the lack of state income tax has a very nice appeal... Kind of makes you wonder how the state pays for services though when they have no income tax, and low property tax?

Your stories are very informative and very entertaining, I believe that you have many stories that are worth writing down, and that you could definitely publish them. Of course I also can understand the reasons behind writing on this board, and not necessarily writing a book for publication. With this board you've created a community of friends and like minded readers that genuinely appreciate the time and effort that you take to post your story. It would be hard to put a price on that type of community This community follows you wherever you go, and is always there no matter where you might be at the time. For a traveling soul, gold.

I too have often been told that I should write a novel of my life. At the age of 26, I have traveled the country in a pickup truck going wherever the wind blew me. I've built my career from the ground up with no assistance, no formal training, no college degree, and I'm at the top of my field. I've made mistakes I always said I wouldn't, lost fortunes, gained them back and than used it to save the lives of friends. After all of this, and more; the more chaotic and complicated my life becomes; the draw of the simple country life becomes stronger and stronger.

The most important thing in life is to enjoy it, it only comes around once and it appears you've definitely learned that lesson.
Happy hibernation virtual neighbor

Last edited by Galiac; 09-25-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galiac View Post
I still need to visit the area, but the lack of state income tax has a very nice appeal... Kind of makes you wonder how the state pays for services though when they have no income tax, and low property tax?
TN has the 47th tax burden in the country. It depends on where you live. In many small towns and rural areas you don't get many services. In a wonderful small city like Knoxville you get much, much more and the bang for the buck is amazing.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM

668 posts, read 2,187,767 times
Thats why you have to live on a hill or mountain... So they dont have to work so hard to 'pump sunlight to y'all...

Pay your taxes, and you too, in the valleys, shall know what that yellow ball in the sky is for ROTFLOL...

OK, my rant and rave is done for this day

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 09-27-2011, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 17,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
Thats why you have to live on a hill or mountain... So they dont have to work so hard to 'pump sunlight to y'all...

Pay your taxes, and you too, in the valleys, shall know what that yellow ball in the sky is for ROTFLOL...

OK, my rant and rave is done for this day

I wish you well...

Jesse

let me see if i can help you understand this. everybody does pay taxes in tenn. they have a 10% sales tax on everything you buy. the state gets more income than my state of kentucky does. we make sure we have all our tobacco needs met before we go to tenn. for work. i take my lunch,breakfast and soda's so i don't have to buy any while i am there.

what the state has is called a fair tax. i am a large supporter of the fair tax.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 PM

OK, scratch that attempt at humor LOL...

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 09-27-2011, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,819 times
I know a great deal about the different ways that taxes can be applied, and how funds can be raised and applied. In fact the general idea of a higher sales tax, and doing away with the income tax is a good one, as you don't have to employ as many government employees to review the tax forms reducing overhead.

I really don't want to hijack Lisa's thread though, so I think I'll nudge the subject back on topic. What would be the best counties in Eastern Tennessee to live this way?

Oh and I really enjoyed how you made the footers for your storage containers. It gave me the idea to eventually make a concrete patio out of concrete pavers I make myself. The idea would be a circular patio with blue and grey pavers. I would never have to worry about one chipping or cracking as I could just replace it with a new paver, and as the joints would be roughly 1/4" it would allow for expansion and contraction greatly increasing the life of the patio. More work at the beginning, but I believe it would last a lifetime and be highly original

Old 09-28-2011, 01:41 PM

Galiac, the only thing I dont like about pavers, is, that you have a base of sand, and then you work sand around all the pavers, thus, the 'weed problem'.

I had a neighbor, who used to sit on a 5 gallon bucket, every Spring, and dig between the stone pavers her had as a sidewalk-->It looked fantastic when he was done, but, every year he sure wished that he could kill the weeds with out plucking them out!!

I told him about Round-up, and then gas and oil mix (problem now is, they dont sell leaded gas, so, it doesnt go into 'shellac' as it used to, when it got 'old', and that was some bodacious weed killer!!
I even told him about how we kill the japaneese knot weed along the railroad tracks with rock salt, but, still that old man would be there every spring, digging the weeds out, listening on his headset earphones to some ball game, and I would pass him and wave hello, since he couldnt hear me LOL.

Maybe if you put some weed killer on the sand base, before you work the sand in between the pavers, it may keep some weeds out for awhile...dont know, but, its worth a try...

Now, as for YoungLisa... Your LATE Girl!! Been waiting on ya to do some posting LOL...

Mike, give her a minute ot two, so her 'audience' can catch up on what your doing next

I wish you well...

Jesse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee