Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,200,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Because of their desire to keep working, if part time and on their own terms, boomers are also attracted to areas with strong economies. College towns, for example. [/i]
Sadly hiknapster, at the rate we are going, I don't think it is as much a desire to continue working as it will more and more a necessity.

I think party of the southeast attraction is warm mountains and hills so I wonder how AZ and NM will fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Yeah. I agree. I didn't write that. It's part of the article. I only dug it out because it discusses where retirees are looking to move.

I also agree about the warm part. I just don't see that many people moving to Wyoming for retirement.

It would be more of my thing, but not for most people.

This area is more populated and most people want better weather with some civilization. I do think the air quality would be better at Yosemite, though. Part of the problem with the Smokies are the are being loved to death.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,139,615 times
Default Many boomers have spent 30+ years with unfulfilled dreams.

I think that part of the attraction for baby boomers to both the SE - mountains in particular - and to the NW mountain states is that they have lived a life of dog-eat-dog jobs, a virtual rat race in their business life cities, and always trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Many that I know, hubby and I included, are realizing that this is not what produces a fulfilling happy life. On the contrary, it has led to lives for many that are empty of close, trusting relationships, contributed to the ever-rising divorce rate, and dwindling retirement funds.

Many are saying, "Is this all there is?" Those with any sense and some ideals left are realizing that a simple, unfettered life is what they have missed most of their adult years. With relatively good health left, many years of retirement to look forward to, and some means of support, they are now seeking to find what they never before realized that they wanted. A life of peace and quiet, beautiful surroundings, no deadlines to meet, and no reason to continue the consumer overload they had always had.

Of course, there are no polls to support any of this, but it does seem to be a general topic of conversation among retirees about their goals and dreams.

Just a thought.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:37 PM

24,773 posts, read 28,545,070 times
I agree.... But in that mix I think most of us Baby Boomers are looking for some sort of "peace mind " getting away from all the noise and the "BLING" and disrespectful people and their life style. I'm not saying we should find a cave and crawl in, but be with same like mined people that respect one in another and values that have been instilled in us are whole lives.......Where ever that leads us..... I think that's why most VietNam Veterans moved too the warmer states when we came back, the together then and together now was instilled and that's why numbers of us went too Florida and South West. Now is another migration for solitude and reflecting where ever that takes us ......... Just my 2 cents

Old 12-29-2007, 02:01 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,139,615 times
Wink Good thoughts, Tinman.

I agree with that whole-heartedly, Tinman. I feel that most boomers, the ones that I know and talk to, all seem to want to return to the life and values that we remember from the late 40's and 50's when we were growing up. And, return to the simple life that we knew just starting out in the '60's.

It seems that during those lean, questful years there was no limit to our hopes and happiness with our families, friends and communities.

Yes, let me return to those simpler, quieter, and morally stable days when a neighbor was a friend.

I think most of us want to feel that we are giving something of value to the world and our descendents when all is said and done. We would like to think that our part of the world is a little better for us having been there.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:08 PM

Maybe it's me, I must be turning into an old fuddy duddy... Seems theirs no pride any more. Just throw it together and carry on. Values have been lost some where. I see this in my grandchildren 10--5 and my step grandchildren 19-21. If it makes noise and flashes it the greatest thing since peanut butter. I don't see to many 30 some thing holding doors open or saying excuse me. It's like you have too do every thing fast..... And don't worry the state or the car company or what ever will take care of you..... I can remember when my father had a fit over Elvis and how he moved...... That was the end of the world. And your hair!!! OMG!! if it even touched your ear watch out.....

Old 12-29-2007, 03:22 PM

I'm 46 and I say "please" and "thank you" and "yes, ma'am" and "I apologize." I was brought up that way, by Depression Era babies that would smack me in the head if I didn't.

My daughter says it, too.

This is one of the myriad of reasons that I moved here.

Or in the words of Hank Jr...

We say grace, we say ma'am,
if you ain't into that we don't give a damn.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:30 PM

Default I say "please" and "thank you"

Quote:
I'm 46 and I say "please" and "thank you" and "yes, ma'am" and "I apologize." I was brought up that way, by Depression Era babies that would smack me in the head if I didn't.

Thank You....hiknapster Something is missing in today's society..... being polite and very few people are teaching their children this.....real shame. It's "MINE"!! gimmey..... and Hank was correct

Old 12-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Oh, I thought you'd like that, Mr. Tinman. That was for you.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:46 PM

665 posts, read 1,927,004 times
Quote:

I too say please and thank you, and I teach my grandaugter the same, and when someone ,anyone gives her something I make sure she says thank you.As far as moving here, for me, I lived in the North, I was working alot , so was my husband, and we couldnt figure out for what. The area was overtaxed and priced, when we could get out we did. I am not sorry we did,peolpe here are polite and nice as far as I have seen. I think for us, we were looking for a quality of life, slower, more enjoyable, and not feeling like we cant keep up.and Hik, of course I came for the cows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee