Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,174,560 times

Advertisements

My brother, sister and I couldn't wait until my dad would get home in the evening after small game hunting all day. We would excitedly rush him all at once as he came through the door and ask if we could check his pockets in that humungeous hunting jacket he wore. It even had a pocket across the back of it.

We would dip our hands in one by one and would be thrilled if we pulled out a rabbit or squirrel. After dinner, all of us would head for the basement with last night's newspaper - no, not to read.

We would watch in fascination as my dad put Mr. Bunny and Mr. Squirrel on the outspread newspapers and first take their hats off (read: head), then off came their shirts (along with their front paws, ugh) and finally, off came their fuzzy little pants (with the tail still attached). We would argue whose turn it was for which tail.

Then, would come the hard part. Finding all of the buckshot in the sleeping critters. Yumm, we knew what was for dinner tomorrow night. Couldn't wait. Small game season was never long enough for us.

Now, I have trouble eating anything that isn't just green and wilted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM

665 posts, read 1,932,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
My brother, sister and I couldn't wait until my dad would get home in the evening after small game hunting all day. We would excitedly rush him all at once as he came through the door and ask if we could check his pockets in that humungeous hunting jacket he wore. It even had a pocket across the back of it.

We would dip our hands in one by one and would be thrilled if we pulled out a rabbit or squirrel. After dinner, all of us would head for the basement with last night's newspaper - no, not to read.

We would watch in fascination as my dad put Mr. Bunny and Mr. Squirrel on the outspread newspapers and first take their hats off (read: head), then off came their shirts (along with their front paws, ugh) and finally, off came their fuzzy little pants (with the tail still attached). We would argue whose turn it was for which tail.

Then, would come the hard part. Finding all of the buckshot in the sleeping critters. Yumm, we knew what was for dinner tomorrow night. Couldn't wait. Small game season was never long enough for us.

Now, I have trouble eating anything that isn't just green and wilted!
Its funny how where you come from makes what you can handle or not, or how things are done, for me pulling unlive bunnies and squirrels out of pockets would push me over the edge, no less watch them getting ready to be dinner. One time we found out (down the Jersey shore no less) my mom picked out a hog, drove the truck for it to be slaughtered and when ready she took the meat home, We couldnt believe she "took" the animal to be killed.I know how ridiculous that sounds to everyone who was raised that way ,It actually IS the way the first people fed themselves.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 AM

24,785 posts, read 28,691,814 times
I agree it's how your brought up. Respect nature and nature will take care of you......

PHYll You say you could not take care of a "Cow" here's your answer too your problem......... Little Moos | Miniature Cattle .........

Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,296,039 times
I'm having chicken for lunch.

I'll feel bad later.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,517,628 times
I had Beef Wellington for my birthday and I didn't feel bad, at all.

Beef, it's what's for dinner!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I agree it's how your brought up. Respect nature and nature will take care of you......

PHYll You say you could not take care of a "Cow" here's your answer too your problem......... Little Moos | Miniature Cattle .........
oh, Gosh, I only wish I was able to have a cow on my property, I am not allowed farm animals where I am, and I dont have enough land. I have to get my fill by walking a little bit up and around the road which takes only 10 minutes. Maybe someday I will be able to get close enough to touch them...

Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I had Beef Wellington for my birthday and I didn't feel bad, at all.

Beef, it's what's for dinner!
I am ok, we had lasagna, for dinner, alright, they had little meatballs in it!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,296,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
oh, Gosh, I only wish I was able to have a cow on my property, I am not allowed farm animals where I am, and I dont have enough land. I have to get my fill by walking a little bit up and around the road which takes only 10 minutes. Maybe someday I will be able to get close enough to touch them...
Maybe we need to have a chat about possums and raccoons . . .

Old 11-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Talking Little Mooos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyll View Post
For the "Little Cows" you could keep them indoors and train them too use the litter box,and it would be a plus when friends are over for coffe or tea,Gives a whole new meaning too "Please Pass the Creamer".........

Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 PM

Thumbs up possums

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Maybe we need to have a chat about possums and raccoons . . .
Possum and wild ramps and rice.......Theirs a hearty meal!.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee