Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
It's amazing because I see that "someone else made me do it" or "it isn't my fault, the cop was not in uniform" sensibility even in small children.

Maybe parents aren't teaching their kids that it is okay to make a mistake, but them they should fess up to it and make it right.

SmokyMtnGal, between your generation and your kids are MY kids. Boy, I hope they take responsibility for their own actions. They always did when growing up, so I trust they still do in the work world.
I know this is going way off the topic and has nothing to do with TN but I have to chime in here to. My kids are ALWAYS blaming someone, something else for what they do. I ground them every time, teachers say it is the norm with all the kids and they are trying to combat it too. I just don;t get it, because I sure didn't teach them that way and the school doesn't allow it either. Interesting but I am glad to know it's not just my kids, but still drives me crazy!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
I see this behavior in adults all the time, lately.

I've been without a dime to my name, have not been able to pay my bills, had services shut off. Never, ever, would I call a company and tell them that it is their fault and demand to have my services turned back on without paying any money.

I've understood that the non-payment was my fault and that I need to pay in order to get something. If I don't have money, I get a darned job. If I can't afford it, I don't get it.

When did all this nonsense start?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
SmokyMtnGal, between your generation and your kids are MY kids. Boy, I hope they take responsibility for their own actions. They always did when growing up, so I trust they still do in the work world.
Gem, I was not pointing the finger at all at YOUR kids. I am sure that you did a wonderful job and they continue to take full responsibility for their own actions as they always did growing up.

The intent of my comment had another meaning; which obviously was lost somewhere; no doubt due to Mercury being in retrograde

Last edited by Beretta; 10-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: left out a word, taking responsibility for it ;-)

Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
Wink Blaming Mercury in retrograde again?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Gem, I was not pointing the finger at all at YOUR kids. I am sure that you did a wonderful job and they continue to take full responsibility for their own actions as they always did growing up.

The intent of my comment had another meaning; which obviously was lost somewhere; no doubt due to Mercury being in retrograde
I was just teasing ya, SMG. My kids are great; they just blame each other!! Can't wait until the holidays when all 4 of them with their families converge on us for a week. Then the games begin.

And, I think I speak for everyone when I say we can't wait til after Nov. 1st when Mercury is finally out of retrograde! Then we will all make better sense, right?

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,436 times
Talking My Traveling Bottle Carrier

This bag was meant to travel, as one might put it. It’s a cross between a traveling wine bottle tote, something you’d take to a wine tasting and a protective diving suit. It eliminates completely that clinking around that normally results in luggage and I’m positive the breakage too.

Here’s my drift… I just went throught Tennessee cross country on my bike. I have relatives in the big T, so I already knew about the law. So, using my trusty Neo Tufftote from I got over the internet I planned ahead and purchased my precious ale before crossing the line. Ring any bells...

[mod] link cut-sorry [/mod]

Last edited by mbmouse; 02-18-2008 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: put in wrong code

Old 02-18-2008, 07:30 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
When I was in Oklahoma in the military, you could not buy liquor buy the glass in a restaurant or bar, but you could bring your own bottle and the bartender would pour your drink and sell you the mixer in a glass. I thought that was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard of. Or if a place called itself a "private club" they could sell you drinks by the glass if you signed a membership card to join their "club". So you end up carrying club cards in your wallet for all the bars and restaurants you go to.
Thats the way it used to be in Cookeville/Putnam Co. Now you can buy beer/liquor in restaraunts/bars, but no liquor package stores. No wine in the grocery, but there are several winerys around. In the other towns in Putnam Co. you cant buy beer in the city limits. No alcohol on Sun. before noon or weekdays before 7 or 8 oclock or after 2am I think. No alcohol on election day. I dont know why TN would outlaw wine by mail when there are winerys all over. but crazier things!

Old 02-18-2008, 11:19 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Schumacher View Post
I'm coming fo a job interview in Morristown. I am not an alcoholic by any means but if you want to get an alcoholic beverage, are there restaurants or bars you can get served at?
Morristown is in Hamblen county, which isn't a dry county. I've never ordered any alcoholic drinks while in a Morristown establishment. I would guess since it isn't a dry county, you'll be able to get a drink.
Now if you cross the county line into Jefferson county, forget about buying anything as Jefferson is a dry county.
Pam
Oops- I never read the whole thread before I jumped in and commented and seems someone else answered about Morristown. I just know the package store we go to get wine is right over the county line.

Last edited by Pam& Bill; 02-18-2008 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Additional comment

Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 PM

57 posts, read 245,493 times
Morristown has 5 package stores where you can buy wine and liquor. You can buy beer by the drink at several Morristown reataurants but no liquor or wine. Morristown city council just dropped the distance law on where you can sell beer. Restaurants that sell beer can be located right next to a church now where it use to be 300 yards. Stores have to be 100 feet and they also use to be 300 yards. I would say liquor by the drink will pass on the next election from what I can see. I just posted a poll on the [domain blocked due to spam] site and after a couple days there's 63 yes votes and 8 no votes. As for sales on Sunday.....No alcohol sales on Suday, stores or restaurants.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,870,537 times
Come on up to Johnson City, you can get drunk as a skunk up here if you want.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe that alcohol sells are banned in the entire state on Sundays. I dont know about the laws on proximity to a church. I know it seems strange to some people outside of the area, its just the conservative nature of the area. I remember this past new years fell on a Sunday, and my friend originally from out of state was caught off guard by not being able to buy alcohol on new years.
No- In Washington County after 12 noon Sunday alcohol sales are legal. It is a similar law they had in Boston, early 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee