Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I learned, when I lived in the city that you can't judge someone's income by their car. It amazed me how many of my neighbors had cars that were worth more than their houses. But those cars were the only thing you could call a luxury in their lives.

As a teacher, I need a reliable car. I can't be breaking down on the way to work all the time. Several of the teachers drive better cars and I don't blame them. If you can budget and get better transportation, go for it. If I were single or didn't have kids, I'd probably be driving a nice car too. I have kids so I drive the mom mobile, complete with dried up pop in the cup holders

Actually, some of the more expensive cars are worth the price for safety features and longevity. I knew a guy who drove one he paid $48K for but was still driving it past 300K miles. He could have bought three cheap cars for that and not gotten as many miles.
You are right but people do it. Yes the teacher may drive a Mercedes but their spouse is a doctor or lawyer. Understand people do it and then complain about their taxes. Right or wrong they do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Charters are overseen by and a part of the public school system. Were they not, they would be called "private schools".
Not necessarily true. Some charters have a right to pay on a scale that is different. That is often part of their charter. It can be more it can be less. It might be part of the negotiated agreement with the union. However remember a number of states are non union so oh well.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Is a Charter School Right for You? | Scholastic.com
Compensation Concerns
While some charter schools offer competitive pay, research indicates that the pay scale is 10 percent to 15 percent less for charter school teachers compared to traditional public school teachers, Miron says. Even when comparing the salaries of teachers with similar years of experience, charter school teachers earn less.

good read on the point Ivory Tickler is making. She is right on target.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You are right but people do it. Yes the teacher may drive a Mercedes but their spouse is a doctor or lawyer. Understand people do it and then complain about their taxes. Right or wrong they do it.
Yeah, that too. We have a couple at our school who can't understand why anyone else complains. Um, my husband doesn't make six figures .

Complaining about taxes I get. I remember finishing my engineering degree. Overnight, my income tripled but my taxes went up six fold. I could understand them going up three times because I made three times as much but why six times? And higher income means you don't qualify for things people with lower income will. For example, your kids and financial aid for college. My sister who never made much doesn't have to pay a dime for her kids to go to school. Those of us who got an education and developed some earning power have to pay our kid's way to college. So, yeah, I get complaining about taxes. Our tax system is, certainly, not fair. And that's before you get around to the marriage penalty for dual working couples. At one point in our marriage it would have saved us over $4000 a year to have been divorced. We, seriously, thought about divorcing for tax purposes.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Is a Charter School Right for You? | Scholastic.com
Compensation Concerns
While some charter schools offer competitive pay, research indicates that the pay scale is 10 percent to 15 percent less for charter school teachers compared to traditional public school teachers, Miron says. Even when comparing the salaries of teachers with similar years of experience, charter school teachers earn less.

good read on the point Ivory Tickler is making. She is right on target.
More like 20% lower where I am (I found out after I took this job that this school IS the bottom of the barrel) and the kicker, that they don't tell you about, is charters don't have the stepped wage structure public schools have. That's entry wages and you STAY at your entry wage in a charter. In my school, the last raise the teachers got was two years ago and it was only 2%. They then five times that away in benefit cuts last year.

If it were really 10-15% with me staying 10-15% below where I would have been in a district (that would be going up a step each year), I could deal with it because I'd know the situation will correct itself in a few years but it won't. I don't ever need to make top wages for a teacher in a district but I sure would like to get to average for the state someday.

The things they DON'T tell you when you interview with a charter.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yeah, that too. We have a couple at our school who can't understand why anyone else complains. Um, my husband doesn't make six figures .

Complaining about taxes I get. I remember finishing my engineering degree. Overnight, my income tripled but my taxes went up six fold. I could understand them going up three times because I made three times as much but why six times? And higher income means you don't qualify for things people with lower income will. For example, your kids and financial aid for college. My sister who never made much doesn't have to pay a dime for her kids to go to school. Those of us who got an education and developed some earning power have to pay our kid's way to college. So, yeah, I get complaining about taxes. Our tax system is, certainly, not fair. And that's before you get around to the marriage penalty for dual working couples. At one point in our marriage it would have saved us over $4000 a year to have been divorced. We, seriously, thought about divorcing for tax purposes.
Remember in this recession every level of government is trying to squeeze more and more out of tax payers and are on the verge of fighting over the last drop of blood. Education is in excess of 50% of the budget for most local districts that pay teachers themselves.. Can be 60% in top flight ones with a strong school system and high student performance. That is why articles that rank high schools are so important. Politicians and Superintendents know that is how to get the money. In just about every state it is the largest item in the state budget and can approach 50% depending on who pays teachers. Just look at California and the fight they were having at keeping education spending at a minimum threshold of 40% of the state budget. That was with them on the brink of bankruptcy. State employees are being furloughed and teachers are wanting a raise and complaining still about salaries. Your situation is different but what you make may be especially at risk.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,201,482 times
Quote:
Not necessarily true. Some charters have a right to pay on a scale that is different. That is often part of their charter. It can be more it can be less. It might be part of the negotiated agreement with the union. However remember a number of states are non union so oh well.
I stand corrected.

And have neatly illustrated the difficulties inherent when one makes sweeping statements based on observation of only one's own part of the world...

Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,175,451 times
Quote:
Your comment about full parking lots and wasted dollars is very true and gets said often. People also look at the teacher parking section and if they see what they consider expensive cars react to that. All of which is part of my even bigger point. The public is not allowed in schools without a good reason. As a result they have to find external and very subjective ways of deciding how they feel. Remember most tax payers don't have children in the public school system to help evaluate. Volunteering is great but it just doesn't happen to many non parents. Doesn't even happen for most parents. One of the great tragedies of school today is that many people who are parents are suspect if they volunteer. Even mentor programs in some areas are having to do background checks.
Yep. You're right. Background checks are mandatory for volunteers in my area, and anyone who subs must be fingerprinted - I'm sure those laws are dependent on the area in which you reside. Oh believe me, I've attended a sufficient amount of town meetings where the community sans kids in the system have stated their cases (and with many valid points). While I'm sure it varies from state to state, I find that the public probably isn't as aware as they could be about the ability to volunteer in schools. Draw from that what one may - there are many interpretations as to why, some of which will feed trolls, so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM

549 posts, read 1,931,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Teacher "burn out" is just an excuse for those with tenure to suck at their
jobs and get away with it.
This is correct. Usually, the term "burn out" means teachers that retire because they can't handle teaching anymore. However, most of these situations occur within the first 5 years of teaching, completely discrediting the original poster's argument.

On the other, hand, if you're saying that after 30 years of being an educator, teachers get tired of their work and just stop performing as well as they should... then Jersey is completely right. I've seen many older teachers that utilize their experience they've developed over the years. In fact, I haven't seen one teacher that does the bare minimum. I've seen teachers that aren't good teachers... but they at least try.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
This is correct. Usually, the term "burn out" means teachers that retire because they can't handle teaching anymore. However, most of these situations occur within the first 5 years of teaching, completely discrediting the original poster's argument.

On the other, hand, if you're saying that after 30 years of being an educator, teachers get tired of their work and just stop performing as well as they should... then Jersey is completely right. I've seen many older teachers that utilize their experience they've developed over the years. In fact, I haven't seen one teacher that does the bare minimum. I've seen teachers that aren't good teachers... but they at least try.
Teachers aren't retiring after five years. They are not eligible for their pension. I am referring to those who hang on for their pension and those who reflect back after retirement. I have heard from many a person who retired after thirty plus years how much they enjoy not going to school anymore and how nice it feels to finally be an adult. Just anecdotal reflections here. When you age your cohort group within the profession also becomes older and shares their thoughts and experiences. Once again very few people in life have their day guided and directed by the ringing of a bell that tells them when to end and begin. There are those on a time schedule but there is often a ringing guiding them. You do realize that schools experiment with different bell sounds and even try moving without bells because of teacher requests. Fifty five years of a routing determined by a bell ding, dong. It does weigh on some people believe it or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching