Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,088,393 times

Advertisements

The threads on blaming parents and the disrespect shown for teachers by parents made me spin this thread off.

Note: In all of the countries where the children are supposedly being educated better than the children in the US, the difference is RESPECT for the teachers and the profession of teaching. Pay is better as well, but the real difference is in respect. Top college graduates are actively recruited into teaching and children are taught that teaching is an honorable profession. They are not taught this at all in the US today.

Educating South Carolina: 1+1=2: Top-scoring nations hold teachers in high regard

Quote:
The “five things U.S. education reformers could learn” from the high-performing countries, the report says, include adopting common academic standards — an effort well under way here, led by state governors — developing better tests for use by teachers in diagnosing students’ day-to-day learning needs and training more effective school leaders.

“Make a concerted effort to raise the status of the teaching profession” was the top recommendation.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-17-2011 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: link and snippet. Snippet is defined as no more then 3 sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,537 times
True i feel as if im fighting for my education and there just sitting there with no motivation for themselves its sad to think that these teachers are really teachers all they do is teach me how to get away from life and do everything the easy way and make kids life miserable.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,537 times
As a student my parents help me out, of course i want to try and do things on my own im learning so when it comes to school some counselors are just out of hand treading kids rudely and we cant really do anything without getting in trouble. They should be building us up not putting us down. Honestly we get discouraged we need a group of more caring teachers and counselors who truly care and don't shout at us when we ask questions or seek help even if its for stupid things. Well that just my opinion on my experience as a lower income student. Don't you think since were lower income our escape is either school or the streets and when we don't have caring parents or parents that aren't involve as they should we look for something to do. So if school isn't going well, counselors are out of hand and teachers aren't as caring and all we hear is a no no no we have less incentives to finish i mean why finish school and get a job you don't like and end up like these prude teachers and counselors. Last option, in which we escape, is ignoring everything and rebelling. That is just my opinion on why some kids drop out or don't do as well as they should in shool. Partly from experience i feel as if im fighting for my ****ty education against prude people who don't like their job were just high school students were not the enemy. Were forced to have respect for them if there not showing us respect that's flat out wrong you want a better society help me accomplish it don't be another barrier i have to brake down. School and parent go hand in hand in some places and when the parent isn't there school is our last option, the school should have realized that, they have statistics, there school where i should be getting an education. Help me be better myself for the future generations. We have no hope without the support of the older generation if its school staff, parents or just another adult. We need people who truly want to teach and make a positive impact on teens not just teach as a way of receiving income.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,703,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The threads on blaming parents and the disrespect shown for teachers by parents made me spin this thread off.

Note: In all of the countries where the children are supposedly being educated better than the children in the US, the difference is RESPECT for the teachers and the profession of teaching. Pay is better as well, but the real difference is in respect. Top college graduates are actively recruited into teaching and children are taught that teaching is an honorable profession. They are not taught this at all in the US today.

Educating South Carolina: 1+1=2: Top-scoring nations hold teachers in high regard
ITA! Respect is a huge issue. Here, we diss teachers at every turn and blame them for things they cannot control. People off of the street think they know my job better than I do and make no bones in telling me how to do it. It's no wonder so many teachers quit within 5 years. Hmmm? Let's see? Make $45K, work 10-12 hour days as a matter of routine and be told I have a part time job, I don't deserve my pay, I'm incompetent, treated like I'm stupid and openly disrespected or make $85K, work 45 hours a week, be respected and treated like I'm the expert.

You have to either really love education to stay in this game or be unable to find something else. I'm debating whether I love it enough to stay in it. All the negativity and politics is wearing on me and I've only been doing this for three years. I'd love to be left alone to do my job.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:23 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,610,446 times
When I was a teacher, I felt respected enough by everyone except the other teachers and administrators in my school. As long as administrators (former teachers) treat teachers like children, and teachers don't even treat each other well, we can hardly complain about no one else respecting us.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:55 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,703,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
When I was a teacher, I felt respected enough by everyone except the other teachers and administrators in my school. As long as administrators (former teachers) treat teachers like children, and teachers don't even treat each other well, we can hardly complain about no one else respecting us.
I have to admit to feeling like adminstrators think we're children. I've just attributed that to them dealing with children all day long and not taken it personally.

My issue is parents and strangers, moreso strangers since I started working in a higher SES district but the parents here don't respect me as a teacher. They respect me as an ex engineer. I get comments all the time on my credentials and how lucky they feel to have me on board. Strangers are another story. I don't even mention I'm a teacher anymore. If someone asks, I tell them I'm an engineer. I know, from experience, that telling them I'm a teacher will be followed by eye rolls or scowls which are followed by (in order of most frequency): 1) being told I'm overpaid, 2) being told I have a part time job, 3) being told how to do my job (because I'm an idiot who couldn't possibly know how to do my job) and 4) being blamed for every ill in society from budget deficits to jobs leaving the state. It's not worth it. I just tell them I'm a chemical engineer and they stand a little taller and talk to me like I'm a real person who has a real brain. It's not lying because I am a degreed engineer and I have worked as an engineer. Just not for the past four years.

The only issue I have with other teachers is that many of them want to see me fail because I came out of industry. They have this idea that only people who chose education as their first major are good enough to teach and that subject matter expertise has no value.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,407,449 times
This is precisely why I consider the way education is today a societal problem. It seems like the majority do not respect teachers and education in general.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM

5,046 posts, read 10,790,324 times
Great post, Nana!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:47 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,930,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
'

As a teacher, I definitely do NOT feel compelled to respect other teachers just on principle. I deeply and genuinely respect good teachers who take their jobs seriously. I don't respect ones who don't, because not only are they screwing kids over, they are making things harder for those of us who take our vocation seriously and care that we are doing the best job possible. They are the ones people point to when trashing teachers wholesale. They give naysayers a leg to stand on. I don't subscribe to a "one for all and all for one" attitude or feel the need to have other teachers' backs wholesale, just because we are nominally in the same position. I am actually very glad that I do not work in a unionized school, because then I don't get put in the position of taking one for the team when odds are pretty good that I'll always work with at least some people who I don't think are earning their pay, and whose actions I can't justify and don't respect. I respect those who do a good job. I wish it were all teachers. But it's not. Just like in every other field.

As it is, I've worked in several non-teaching fields, but always in advocacy-related work. I do my job for the same reasons I always have...I'm good at helping people...in the context of my current work, helping people who have fairly complex barricades to learning learn to the best of their ability. I don't do my work for the respect of others...I do it to help people who don't always get the support they need. The respect of others is GREAT...but it's not something I count on, and it's not my reason for what I do. I'm fully aware that people who mock people who teach are also people who couldn't and wouldn't do what I do. When I tell people the population with whom I work, the most popular refrain is "Oh, I couldn't ever do that." If these people disrespect me, it matters little. I'm here to do right by my students. I'm not here for public approval.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:50 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,107,080 times
If there were better screening processes and more respectable teachers were hired, that would also solve the issue. I have graduated 2 children and I cannot tell you the issues I've had with teachers over the years. Some are hateful, some are immature, some are so disorganized that they lose the kid's paperwork and don't record grades....the list goes on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching