Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM

58 posts, read 148,034 times

Advertisements

Okay, I plan on transferring to USF. I am currently enrolled at the local community college, and have a great G.P.A.(in challenging courses). So, pending ace the few courses I plan to take at the community school(which I will), I should be well positioned academically to get into USF for the program of my choice. However, I remember when in high school, while I applied to USF, the application asked for work or volunteering experience, to which I did not have much[any]. So long story short, I plan on applying to USF soon, and feel some volunteer experience will help me. I know with my grades I can get into USF, but I want to make sure I get into USF for the program of my choice, and admission into the good programs can get very competitive. I'm thinking some volunteer experience to show that I 'care about the community'
will give me an edge.

So what are some good places to volunteer around the Carrollwood area. I don't want put too much mileage on the car/use too much gas. I don't want to tedious interview processes to get it(what is this, a paying job? ). I tried a few hospitals, but seems they have a summer volunteering program with high school students, so they are pretty packed. I tried a few animal places, but one requires interested people to come down for basically initial meeting, and only take you if you fit one of their opening needs. Pass. The other does not really offer volunteer opportunities.

So basically suggest some good volunteer opportunities near my area. Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 05:23 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,570 times
Have you checked out Hands On Tampa Bay? It's an awesome website that can link you up to all the volunteer opportunities in the area. Check it out. HandsOn Tampa Bay

Old 05-16-2010, 06:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,657,284 times
How about Habitat for Humanity? Meals on Wheels? What is your major going to be in USF? For example, if you are an engineer student, you could check out volunteering at an engineering office. If your major is law, maybe volunteer at a law firm. Just a thought.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
While you might have to drive a little, Meals on wheels usually keeps the area small you have to drive plus close to where you live or work. I use to deliver at a mobilehome park for seniors. They bring the food to you in your area. You can volunteer 1 day a week or even 1 day a month. It is very rewarding and nearly everyone was so happy to see you.

Did you check out Big Cat rescue? There is also St. Francis Rescue
St. Francis Society Animal Rescue - non-profit cat & dog rescue and adoption in Tampa Bay Florida

Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,310,759 times
I looked into Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Tampa Bay. It is a relitively small commitment considering the difference you would make in someones life. If you are 23 years old or younger, you are eligible for a congressional award as well.

Big Brothers Big Sisters

If you dont want to make a big commitment and are only doing it for yourself, I would suggest avoiding children or animals as their situation is likely bad enough and they dont really deserve someone else in their life that doesn't really care.

Try volunteering at a soup kitchen, homeless people wont really care one way or another how you feel about them

I Am HOPE Café

You can also try Habitat for Humanity as you likely wont have to meet the family and a house has no feelings.

Habitat for Humanity of Hillsborough County Florida, Inc.

Keep in mind, even if you are doing it for yourself- the difference you make in a child or animals life can be rather rewarding. No act of volunteering is completely selfless.

Please don't think this post was directed at you with a negative connotation. I am NOT one to judge- but volunteering has been on my mind lately. It started with me trying to figure out how to fill up spare time and it led to my genuine interest in helping children or animals. The benifit of helping them is the fact that they ARE helpless and generally innocent. Adults, with the exception of mentally/physically handicapped people ARE NOT helpless. Helping children or animals, in my opinion, is far more rewarding and will have a much bigger impact on a life.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,431 times
Talking hands on new orleans

handsonneworleans.org
there partner with many non-profit org. in the city and they have project daily weekly that you can join, they also have Volunteer Leadership Training it all on their website... check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay