Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2006, 05:02 AM

23 posts, read 117,601 times

Advertisements

In one week my wife and I, along with my daughter, will be driving to Florida for a vacation and to check out 2 areas, St Petersburg and surrounding areas & Inverness, with it's surrounding areas. Part of this travel is to establish which areas provide the best chance of employment and a place to call home & the other part is to just relax, have some fun, and sight see. I'll be in the area for about 2 weeks. Any one with some suggestions as to "need to try or see" places or restraunts? Areas of town to check out or avoid. Restraunts where the food is great or "oh my God what is this?" . Suggestions, advice, info, gladly accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 PM

165 posts, read 653,026 times
I live in one of those areas: A county area called Lealman that is part of the St. Petersburg area. There are all kinds of neighborhoods here: bad, good, and in between. There are a lot of nice middle class areas. There is lots of work here and a great variety of jobs. Pay is less than the northeast, but the cost of living is a little lower AND the more skilled you are, the better the salary. This is a tourist area with plenty to do: beaches, all kinds of restaurants, Walt Disney World is only an hour plus traveling time (without a lot of traffic), nightclubs, museums, horse rides, shopping malls, everything a big city area can offer plus the beach and sun. There are hotels and motels in all price ranges from about $50 a night up......and for a tourist area, many nice hotels are reasonably priced. I talk about how to try and protect yourself from hurricanes on other threads. I moved here from NJ and also spent over a decade in Puerto Rico and if you like it hot and humid in the summer (with air conditioning) and mostly warm and comfortable in winter with NO snow, then this is the place to visit or consider moving here. Good luck.

I reread your questions and have more specific stuff to add about my area. There are many nice areas of St. Petersburg, just check out the middle class areas. It is easier to tell you where to avoid (though a tough old bird like me and my family go anywhere.) South St. Pete- before you get near the beach- has some crappy neighborhoods (cheap houses, more crime, etc.--this is based on behavior NOT race/background). However, some of Gulfport, Pasadena, etc. by the beach are nice. Almost ALL of the beach communities are very nice: Clearwater Beach, St. Pete Beach, Madeira Beach etc....all on the Gulf of Mexico. (You need big bucks to live there, at least for an ordinary person.) Other places with nice areas include Clearwater, Largo, Seminole, Pinellas Park, etc. Kenneth City is almost all solid middle class. Some county areas such as my area of Lealman are more low rent districts, but almost everybody works or is retired and crime is not bad. Lealman is more a place to rent or buy if you are on a budget, it is not a tourist area...but is soooo close to them. One rule of thumb is, the better the houses look, the better the neighborhood (socioeconomically). Like elsewhere. Just check with the locals when you get here...real estate agents usually will tell you about different areas if you ask. Tell them you are thinking of buying..... There are all kinds of restaurants and different prices. All the fast food chains are here: Burger King, KFC, etc. There are Mexican, Italian, Chinese and lots of other nationality restaurants plus BBQ, American, seafood...... You can get everything from french fries to grits. If you like the weather and are not put off by hurricanes and high property insurance if you own a house/condo AND have a decent job, then you will love it here if you like city/suburban living with everything. Even the airport is close...... Hope to see you soon.

I should mention that there are many reasonable apartments at least comparing to some other places and you do have soooo much near. Decent 2 bedroom apartments start at maybe $650.........and the middle class and beach apartments can be found at that price or a little more................ Our apartments at this time are a much bigger bargain than our real estate. However, you build equity and grow roots with a house.............. But an apartment is the way to go first UNLESS you are all set to buy a home....... Hope I helped some. ..................There is tons of advice on other threads............... I'm Sami

Last edited by Marka; 08-09-2006 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 PM

23 posts, read 117,601 times
Thanks for the info. I'm originally from Bean Town and have lived in many parts of the country. Presently I'm in KC and tired of the big city and the rush, rush. I want a place where I can relax and enjoy life. The kids are about out of the house and then it's time for my wife and I to have "OUR" time. Walks on the beach, nights outs on the town, relaxation in the backyard. We have a few years before we retire, but want to get a head start on us again.
How bad are the insurance rates for the St Petersburg area? I know the cost of homes is higher than here, the wages are lower; but it's all worth it if it doesn't suck you dry.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:11 PM

165 posts, read 653,026 times
Default St. Petersburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFRED
Thanks for the info. I'm originally from Bean Town and have lived in many parts of the country. Presently I'm in KC and tired of the big city and the rush, rush. I want a place where I can relax and enjoy life. The kids are about out of the house and then it's time for my wife and I to have "OUR" time. Walks on the beach, nights outs on the town, relaxation in the backyard. We have a few years before we retire, but want to get a head start on us again.
How bad are the insurance rates for the St Petersburg area? I know the cost of homes is higher than here, the wages are lower; but it's all worth it if it doesn't suck you dry.
I am from the Newark NJ area. And I am glad to help. --Sami-- ...................Well I have spent my entire life being broke, yet I have my own working class home free and clear.............The insurance rates stink--see other threads--but then again, I would rather spend money on that and air conditioning than higher house taxes and heating bills in NJ. No matter WHERE you live, you are going to pay for SOMETHING....might as well try a place you really want to live! (I use a budget....) I do not know what you earn---and I'm NOT asking---but so many people in this forum do not own homes with incomes over $50,000 and often much more......and they want houses........ I guess I just love my home and spending my money there rather than a lot of outside entertainment. Lots of luck to all.

Last edited by sami; 08-09-2006 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay