Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

In 2006, the median income for a household in the city was $39,602, and the median income for a family was $45,823. Males had a median income of $40,461 versus $29,868 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,522. 20.1% of the population and 16.4% of families were below the poverty line. 31% of those under the age of 18 and 13.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM

214 posts, read 678,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozlo View Post
I've noticed since Great Depression part II started, job postings here have changed quite a bit. The pay has decreased, yet the requirements have increased. For entry level positions some companies now want you to have a minimum of a BS, 10+ years experience as a rocket scientist, 12 or more certifications, speak 3 languages, and be able to lick your elbow. That may be blowing it out of proportion, but they have gotten A LOT more picky.
Supply and demand. The last figure I read was approx. 6 applicants for every job opening. I assume that employers feel they can be more picky now with so many applicants to choose from. (Sorry, I have no Web references for that.)

Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
(Sorry, I have no Web references for that.)
here ya go:

http://tampabay.bizjournals.com/tamp...1/daily39.html

"There are 6.4 job seekers for every job opening in the United States, according to data released Tuesday by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
In 2006, the median income for a household in the city was $39,602, and the median income for a family was $45,823. Males had a median income of $40,461 versus $29,868 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,522. 20.1% of the population and 16.4% of families were below the poverty line. 31% of those under the age of 18 and 13.6% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty level.
source please?

Interesting stats. Surprised to see so much poverty until so I checked elsewhere for population living below poverty line and suddenly Tampa looks typical of metro areas and not as bad as many.

Miami (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau shows 1999 figures (percent of population living below poverty line): Tampa 18.1%; Fort Myers 21.8%; Daytona 23.6%; Tallahassee 24.7%; Gainesville 26.7%; Miami 28.5%; Fort Pierce 30.9%

Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Wow, must have struck a nerve. To play devil's advocate here, what you are saying is that everyone should just stay where they are and never try to relocate? What about if you look at it from the other side of it? Maybe all of the politicians and daddy's boy or girl that get grandfathered into the high level government positions in the DC area shouldn't be so greedy. Their high salaries have driven up the cost of living beyond repair. If they would work for more modest wages, you wouldn't have to make 6 figures to afford a one bedroom apartment here.

Of course, this would be ridiculous. Think of how unreasonable that would be to say that?

So yes, some of us would rather work for less and like where we live. That's why I'm in the process of getting a job in one of the FL areas I want to be that doesn't even require a college degree. Started screening I've been told that I just need to pass some other checks. And believe me, I don't expect to be living some extravagant lifestyle once I get there. But it isn't like I'm giving one up, either.
I just wanted to point out that all offices of the executive and legislative branches of government (not support positions) are not appointed, but elected by you, me, your neighbors, your family, and friends. It is th peoples fault for not educating themselves and springing to action if they are unhappy. Public servants salaries are also relatively low compared to those of us in the private sector.

I am not saying there isn't a problem in Washington, just saying it is largely the peoples fault.

That aside I agree I would rather make less in FL then more in DC or NY and I am way off topic!

Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I am not saying there isn't a problem in Washington, just saying it is largely the peoples fault.

That aside I agree I would rather make less in FL then more in DC or NY and I am way off topic!

That's just a flat out lie in my opinion. The belief that there is any difference in the two party system and the idea that your elected representatives care anything at all about you or your needs is just plane not true.

Corporations and their interests are what runs the show nowadays.

Why do you think middle class wages have been falling for a generation?

Why do you think firms like Goldman Sachs have all sorts of ex employees in the highest offices of government? Ever notice it doesn't matter which party is in power, Goldman's tentacles are still in the white house.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

People are finally waking up to this rape of America. That is what has given rise to the Tea Party.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:44 PM

168 posts, read 424,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I just wanted to point out that all offices of the executive and legislative branches of government (not support positions) are not appointed, but elected by you, me, your neighbors, your family, and friends. It is th peoples fault for not educating themselves and springing to action if they are unhappy. Public servants salaries are also relatively low compared to those of us in the private sector.

I want to clarify that I don't mean public servants as in a police officer or the guy that works in the mail room for the federal government. Some of these are 22 and 23 year old kids fresh out of college that have family in government or a big business that has government connections and they are handed a high paying position. That and all of the lobbyists and high level government officials make the DC area a land of rich and poor, but no middle class. I lived in Newark, NJ and Pittsburgh, PA before the DC area. Both of these places had their share of socioeconomic problems, but at least you could make a decent living and be considered middle class. In the DC area, it isn't an option.

This is why I have decided the same thing as you. Take a pay cut (although I probably won't, as my job here equates to about a 19-21K salary in FL) and be happy. Life is too short to get caught up in the "I need a career with gold plated benefits to define me" crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay