Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:03 AM

42 posts, read 130,275 times

Advertisements

I'm about to start graduate school at USF in the fall so I am looking for somewhere close to campus/on the usf bus route, affordable (preferably under 700, definitely under 800), and that has 1 bedrooms. The two places that have especially caught my attention are Eagles Point and Cambridge Woods. Are these places alright? Are there any other good suggestions? Also is Lettuce Lake a nice place to go? I'm more interested in nature and the Everglades and such than in strip clubs and whatnot when it comes to entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
No idea as to those apartments. Lettuce Lake park is nice: paved & soft trails, boardwalk, picnic areas. Directly on opposite side of river, just W on Fletcher, is USF's access to Hillsborough River USF Campus Recreation with boat rentals, play fields, rope climb.

Immediately E of I-75 is access to 16,000-acre wilderness area Biking Wilderness Park's Mountain Bike and Paved Road Bike Trails with miles of single track SWAMP - Florida Mountain Bike Trails for mountain biking & 9 miles of paved trail (access also from Bruce Downs) which is about to be extended another 8 miles or so.

This is excellent area for outdoor activities. Facilities are fairly heavily used. Wildlife is not quite as rich as in the Everglades but still pretty beautiful.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:46 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,100 times
Depending on your cost constraints...Boardwalk Apts at USF and I-75 area are for Students Only. The apartments are rented by cost per room. Each room has it's own bathroom and are good size. Roughly $500/mo includes utilities. Apt complex is gated. Know people who live there and hated graduating because they enjoyed it. Worth chking into depending on the lifestyle you like and cost of living you can afford. Again, this place is fairly new, inexpensive considering and for college students only.

Good luck. Hope that helps some. And Lettuce Lake is great, but you should stay alert and I wouldn't be there after dark alone. Just use common sense.. all will be okay.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:40 PM

30,443 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter1803 View Post
I'm about to start graduate school at USF in the fall so I am looking for somewhere close to campus/on the usf bus route, affordable (preferably under 700, definitely under 800), and that has 1 bedrooms. The two places that have especially caught my attention are Eagles Point and Cambridge Woods. Are these places alright? Are there any other good suggestions? Also is Lettuce Lake a nice place to go? I'm more interested in nature and the Everglades and such than in strip clubs and whatnot when it comes to entertainment.
Them words just don't go together in the area your looking at. Lots of drinking young punks all over that area.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
Lettuce Lake is great, but you should stay alert and I wouldn't be there after dark alone. Just use common sense.. all will be okay.
Has there been trouble at Lettuce Lake? Though I have seen a murder of crows there, I hadn't heard of any problems. Googled and didn't find a single negative mention. Please cite your source. Thanx.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:34 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,321,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
Has there been trouble at Lettuce Lake? Though I have seen a murder of crows there, I hadn't heard of any problems. Googled and didn't find a single negative mention. Please cite your source. Thanx.
Didn't say there was high crime there. Most activity is related to marine citations. There has been some alcohol and drug related activity/arrests and suspicious activity reports. Generally it is a safe park. I simply noted to use caution at dark, which if I am not mistaken..the park closes at 7pm so that would only even apply during winter (like we have winter) months with short daylight. I was in the park one day when a car was broken into. So, as I said...just use common sense. It is a REALLY great park. You may worry more about the snakes and gators, there are plenty! lol

Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Them words just don't go together in the area your looking at. Lots of drinking young punks all over that area.
Well I'm coming from a school with a party reputation so I'm used to that and can handle it again if need be, I'm just wondering if some complexes are little quieter. Sort of a least of several evils situation I suppose.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 13,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter1803 View Post

I am also looking at housing near USF. I am also an incoming graduate. What you have to remember being close to USF is undergraduate like to party. I am looking into New Tampa and Lake Magdalene. I walked through St. Croix. It looked decent and affordable. They always have specials. So maybe look there too. Didnt walk through Fiarway oaks but the pice is under $700 for you.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyesIrishGrl View Post
I am also looking at housing near USF. I am also an incoming graduate. What you have to remember being close to USF is undergraduate like to party. I am looking into New Tampa and Lake Magdalene. I walked through St. Croix. It looked decent and affordable. They always have specials. So maybe look there too. Didnt walk through Fiarway oaks but the pice is under $700 for you.
What grad program? I'm doing an MA in anthropology. I was surrounded by a lot of partying in undergrad so I'm pretty used to it if I have to be, I'd just prefer more peace and quiet. On the other hand being close/on bus route is also important. I've pretty much settled on Cambridge Woods, but we'll see.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,656 times
Hello all,

I am also moving to tampa to start graduate school in the fall, and I too need to find an affordable apartment in a safe neighborhood. Does anyone have any opinions on student housing and what would be the safest places to live? In addition to that does anyone know of any one bedroom apartments that have utilities included in the rent?

Thank-you all so much. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay