Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 02:48 PM

50 posts, read 227,364 times

Advertisements

we are searching for a quaint and safe area that also has a lot of charm, cafe's upscale stuff that is alive and fun to walk and explore. Came accross Gulfport in my research and would like to know if this is a place to consider moving to.
all help is appreciated

Thank ou
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 02:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
IMO, the Pasadena Yacht & Country Club area is very nice (gated, guarded with clubhouse, golf & waterfront). I like the Jungle area, too (some really lovely historical homes).

Old 10-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Default Gulfport Area

not what iwe are looking for. We don't want a gated community with big homes etc., We are looking for an area that is walkable and vibrant with pubs, cafe's , restaurants, great retail and interesting stuff. That is why i thought of Gulfport. Does anyone out there live there or know anything about it?

Old 10-02-2008, 04:17 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlent View Post
not what iwe are looking for. We don't want a gated community with big homes etc., We are looking for an area that is walkable and vibrant with pubs, cafe's , restaurants, great retail and interesting stuff. That is why i thought of Gulfport. Does anyone out there live there or know anything about it?
Its small and quaint, nice, ...but SMALL...visit and take a walk around. Dunedin is another good choice over in Pinellas County.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
Ummm, I know a lot about Gulfport and my response met your original request (upscale, walkable beach with harbor restaurants, shops and golf course). Two blocks west and you're on St. Pete Beach. I agree that it's small and quaint, but it's not Seattle.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM

Thanks Karen......small might be good for us ....we are looking for a hard thing to find but this might be it. That would be a small town with a cozy, upbeat beach feel next to a big city (St Pete)
I looked in Wikapedia and it gave a population of 13,000 people so not so tiny either. We currently live in a town of only 6,000 and it is much to small for us and no city anywhere nearby.
Do you know enough about gulfport to be able to tell me what the mix of people look like? Younger or older? Enthic mix? What does it "feel' like there? We re going to map out a vacation for next month and it is on our short list. Dunedin also sounds attractive. We are big on downtowns and retail and the arts and culture. How would downtown dunedin and Gulfport compare?
Thanks a lot for your info

Andy

Old 10-03-2008, 10:22 PM

124 posts, read 303,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlent View Post
Gulfport has that all and more. BUT (big but!) you have to stay around the Art District Area. Nice Place to live and close to the beach. 10 Min. to St. Pete Beach, 15 Min. Downtown St. Petersburg, 30 Min. to Tampa.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Default Gulfport

Bambina.....not sure what you mean when you say "have to stay around the Art district Area)
Are the other part of Gulport not good? high crime??

Carlent

Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 AM

29 posts, read 100,470 times
From what I've read Dunedin sounds like it would suit you wants very nicely.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 25,182 times
Hi - we are retiring to Fl. -- - We really hate cold weather !
I see alot about where Families with Kids should move -
We want to be around people that share our lifestyle - just as the people with kids do!
So where do Retirees go in the Dunedin area to live ??
We want a Dog Friendly area -- like the one we are in now .
We love to walk & be outdoors .
LOW CRIME A MUST !!
Thanks so much for sharing -- maybe I'm in the wrong forum if so could someone guide me to the one for the oldies !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay