Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 AM

9 posts, read 32,890 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving down from Gainesville and have been pleased with our gym membership here (GHFC). The staff there recommended potentially using LA Fitness in Clearwater as our next gym. I'm curious if anyone here has a membership with them, were members, have seen the facility, etc. and could tell us a bit more about it. We're going to be located in the Carillon business district so it's a good 15-20 minute drive to the gym, which isn't a change from our current gym situation. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 AM

428 posts, read 1,247,015 times
Sorry I can't help with LA Fitness. But we just moved here and I've checked out Lifestyle Family Fitness in Clearwater. Nice big clean gym with something for everyone and a lot of extras. For example, they just added several aqua massage tables that are free for members to use.

Anyway, it might be a place to keep on your radar if LA Fitness doesn't pan out. Have fun!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:59 AM

tjax,

Never heard of them but wow.. they do look amazing. We'll definitely have to check them out when we move down there. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:50 AM

68 posts, read 259,705 times
Spend a few minutes searching LA Fitness on google. More specifically, trying to cancel your membership.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM

428 posts, read 1,247,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Spend a few minutes searching LA Fitness on google. More specifically, trying to cancel your membership.
I've heard that Lifestyle Fitness is the same way, even though technically all plans are month to month.

In fact, I've noticed many gyms act like this. The process to cancel is more difficult that it should be. I should be able to walk up to the front desk, show my member ID card and ID, and say "cancel" and maybe sign something and it should be over.

Instead, you're asked to write a letter and usually send it to a corporate address (not the actual gym.) Your milage may very after that point, as you can imagine it could be a black hole.

If you are with a good credit card company, I think you are protected. Just takes a call to the credit card company to report a fraudulent charge. Save the copy of the letter you send to the gym, of course- the credit card company will need a copy.

I don't think I would EVER give a gym like that access to do a direct debit from a bank account.

Yes, it is nuts. The whole fitness center business model is nuts though. It is geared around only having about 10% (guessing) of their customers actually showing up and using the services they are paying for.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Exactly. Luckily, our current gym, GHFC, has been a wonderful experience. Oddly enough, everyone there recommended trying LFF first over LA Fitness. Just need to be vigilant and smart about things. But thanks again for the advice

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,234 times
A gym memebership is just like leasing or buying a car or going to but a bedroom set. You cant just take the car back to the dealer when ever you want and say here is the keys, take my car back. You can do that if you want. but there will be negative consequences just like in a gym membership.A contract is a contract no matter were you are at. There were alot of Mom and Pop gyms out there that give Good [FONT=Arial]reputable Health clubs a bad name. As long as you READ the CONTRACT before you sign it you should be fine. Asking question always helps. Normally enrollment fees can allways be waved or reduce. Golds Gym has really set up it game with 720 gyms world wide. always check out every gym in a 10 min radious before you buy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]

Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 AM

156 posts, read 495,424 times
I was a member at LA Fitness in Clearwater for 2 years. It was still in pre-construction when I joined. It was the best gym I have ever been assosciated with. They have a huge pool, jacuzzi, sauna, private showers, full court basketball, and cult like racquetball club and court. A lot of gyms offer the same amentities; however, what made it great for me is all the close friendship I made. I miss them dearly.

I used to work in the Carillon Parkway area as well. During lunch, I worked out at the Carillon Wellness Center (directly in front of Raymond James Financial) at St Anthony's Hospital. It is a super nice facility where real doctors and dietitians are on staff. They have the capabilities to run all types of fitness test from blood work to the water tank (true body fat test) to attaching electrodes to your body while on the treadmill. It is a first class facility and a must see if you are going to live in that area. It is a bit uppity and the monthly fees reflect as such. Wellness Center Photos

Last edited by a_fl_vol; 08-30-2009 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-30-2009, 02:41 AM

156 posts, read 495,424 times
I did want to mention one thing. When I canceled my membership at LA Fitness, I didn't have any problems. They ask you to log into your account online and print off a cancelation form. It is a very short form with an attached bar code. You mail it in to the corporate office in California, they scan it, and you are done. It was that easy.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:33 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,338,567 times
........and avoid Bally Total Fitness at all cost...it took my husband 7 years to cancel his membership!!!!!!!!!

Might as well buy your equipment online and avoid these memberships all together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay