Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times

Advertisements

I've driven through that community when it first was developed. The model homes were very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,880 times
Are there places in and around Tampa that aren't gated, but are still safe and meet most of the other requirements OP asked about? We also can relate very closely to the OP's lifestyle and questions and are looking to relocate to the Tampa area, but prefer NOT to live in a gated community of mostly older people after having lived in one for the past 3 years. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:13 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
An "old folks" community dominated by golf carts, bridge clubs

HAHA, thats SCC to a T

Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

93 posts, read 196,958 times
JudiPatooti, you may want to start another post asking your questions as I'm not having much luck. I'm sure there are many who are seeking info on the various communities from the perspective of those of us who don't have young kids but don't want to be in a 55+ community (which I don't yet qualify for anyway).

BTW, in regards to your post on whether Democrats would be comfortable in the TB area, I'd suspect so based on some of the well-thought out postings I've read on this forum. Although someone suggested NE FL to you, having lived there I'd be quite surprised if you'd find it to be particularly enlightened. TB, on the other hand, seems to be more sophisticated which is why I was trying to get some direction before we have a chance to visit.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I don't know what your budget is, but if you want an older, established type community in a beautiful safe area, look into some of the south Tampa neighborhoods. I like Palma Ceia, Davis Islands and Ballast Point to name a few. All very close to downtown and all the amenities you desire, beautiful and safe, but will cost more than some other areas.

And not to knock the 55+ communities that are being recommended here, but I know that some people just don't want to live in those, me and hubby are two of them. We are in our 50's but love the vibe of having people of all ages around us so we have always lived in older established neighborhoods.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps!

Old 03-23-2009, 03:21 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but if you want an older, established type community in a beautiful safe area, look into some of the south Tampa neighborhoods. I like Palma Ceia, Davis Islands and Ballast Point to name a few. All very close to downtown and all the amenities you desire, beautiful and safe, but will cost more than some other areas.

And not to knock the 55+ communities that are being recommended here, but I know that some people just don't want to live in those, me and hubby are two of them. We are in our 50's but love the vibe of having people of all ages around us so we have always lived in older established neighborhoods.

Good luck to you, I hope this helps!
I agree, 50's is NOT old. Some think so for some reason. I know more 50ish people in my neighborhood who still play with the kids! Basketball, soccer, baseball you name it, we have a couple men in their mid 50's who are out playing with these kids every weekend. And they do not play bridge or ride a gold cart around.

If you are in your 50's and want to live in a 60-70s area community that has bridge and golf carts to get around then that scares me because if I am either that unhealthy or that slow in my 50's I might as well give up now.

To me these places sound like the next step is a nursing home.

If you drive through an area and see golf carts and all lights out a dark then go on out of that area.

The OP sounds like they still have a life and enjoy things and would not be happy in a retirement area like the above.

This is not meant as a slam on those who are in their 50s and enjoy the slow lifestyle as mentioned, but I am sure the OP would be very unhappy in an area that plays cards and uses golf carts to get around.

Both my parents and inlaws were very active when they were in their 50's, fishing, boating, even jet ski's!. If you put them in a slow area they would have died years ago from thinking they are in their 80's.

If you can remember your folks if they were in their 50's 30 years ago or so were slowed down because the 50's then is todays 70's by age comp.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:41 PM

93 posts, read 196,958 times
Thanks for your posts, GypsyChic and Sunny-Days. We'll be sure to include S Tampa in our search.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
To me these places sound like the next step is a nursing home.
That's definitely not what SCC is all about.

Curious if those wanting to live in communities with the younger crowd - I'm sure during most of the day, the work-aged groups is gone, children are at school, and communities are like a ghost town until about 5 pm.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,260 times
Whoever told me that I was far from the truth about my above post and did not have the guts to tell me who you are I thank you.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I am so damn right on this it is not funny.

People in their 50's nowadays are active and do not sit on their butt and play cards all day and night.

I remember my parents when they were in their 50's, not active, not wanting to jet ski and play. People in their 50's now are doing all these things.

I have two parents and two in laws I have watched age, move them into one of these areas and they will sit and count down the days.

If they are are inactive people and need this type of lifestyle then that is ok, but if you put an active 50's couple in a semi retirement neighborhood you are making a huge mistake.

When I am in my 50's I will guarantee you if my health is good then I will not be playing stupid bridge and using golf carts to get around.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:26 PM

People use the carts because they're fuel efficient, not out of necessity. Carts are quiet, too. And they actually use them for golf. I'd venture to bet that the residents of SSC are more active both physically, socially, intellectually than those that retire in a community filled w/ 20-30 year olds who are at work all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay