Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 PM

18 posts, read 77,556 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Tampa from Miami. I don't have any issues with Miami, just want a minor change but like the warm weather and beaches. Also, Miami nightlife kind of bores me, more into laid back bars and grimey dives than ritzy clubs. What is the Tampa nightlife/music/art scene like? Good places to live? I hear Seminole Heights is up and coming for people my age (mid 20s). No kids, just looking to have a good time, enjoy life and the sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 06:22 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,087,071 times
Or try St Petersburg. Couple of nice bars, good eating places, lots of concerts and downtown is nice and safe to walk.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM

104 posts, read 366,946 times
Coming from Miami, you will find a little bit more of what you describe. Seminole Heights is a great area and was featured in Creative Loafing last year as an up and coming area. Downtown St. Pete is beautiful and laid back. Another area that you might want to consider is Dunedin. It is very laid back, near Clearwater beach and has a nice downtown atmosphere.

Check out this from Creative Loafing last year Urban Explorer's Handbook 2008 | Tampa | Special Sections | Urban Explorer's Handbook 2008

Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM

18 posts, read 77,556 times
Thanks guys. I think Tampa Bay would be a good fit for me, sure seems like it. Just wondering, what is the Hispanic presence in the area like? The culture, food and people of Latin America that really make Miami what it is are what i'd miss most about the city, so i'm just trying to get a feel for what Tampa will be like in that regard, so I don't feel too home sick!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:43 PM

158 posts, read 504,885 times
I lived in Miami and went to college at UM(or 'The U') a long while back. The Tampa area is much more laidback and a lot less image conscious and pretentious. The music scene is just okay as far as local music, plenty of national acts and independents come through town though. The art scene is up and coming and the nightlife scene might not be quite as sophisticated as Miami/SoBe but there's plenty of it and a large variety of bars and clubs.

Seminole Heights is a decent area for your age group or try South Tampa, or look in downtown St. Pete as was previously mentioned. There is a strong Latin/Cuban prescence in Tampa but nothing like in Miami, certainly not as overwhelming. Probably just enough to make you feel at home.

Last edited by DC2Tampa; 02-02-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM

5 posts, read 14,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canthardlywait View Post
Thanks guys. I think Tampa Bay would be a good fit for me, sure seems like it. Just wondering, what is the Hispanic presence in the area like? The culture, food and people of Latin America that really make Miami what it is are what i'd miss most about the city, so i'm just trying to get a feel for what Tampa will be like in that regard, so I don't feel too home sick!
Tampa is historically a Hispanic community. Places like Ybor city were built around Cuban immigrants who worked the cigar factories. Their influence is still felt throughout Tampa. You will find Tampa offers a lot of cultural diversity, so you shouldn't feel too home sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay