Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM

10 posts, read 40,885 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I've narrowed down my choice down to St. Petersburg. What would you guys says are the best qualities and the worst qualities of the city? How are the people? Could you relate the diverseness of people to Miami??

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 10:34 PM

17 posts, read 94,166 times
It used to be IMHO the best place I have lived in SF, it felt like vacation all year round and it seemed to be very safe, actually police started telling people to lock the cars, to be honest with you, I never locked mine and never locked my house. But I have been checking the crime report for the city and it is extremely dangerous place, as I said before, I never had a bad experience but numbers speak by themselves. If you like the beach it is a great place but there is not really much to do, at least in the south part of the city not many restaurants. It is beautiful but I am not sure if I could take it again. Do your research, last time I was there was about 3 or 4 years ago and not many changes.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:41 AM

10 posts, read 84,820 times
Well, having been in St. Petersburg over a year I can say I've only seen 'pros'. It is close to many awesome beaches, lots of businesses (for work), great selection of restaurants,and in about 10-20 miles and you can be in Tampa. The people - seems to be mostly the 20-30somethings. I guess it depends on YOUR age - if you are younger and want to live in a place that always has something going on then St. Pete is perfect. There can be traffic at times, especially on US19 as the roads are being completely re-done. I always hear that Downtown St. Pete is the 'bad' area. Stay closer to Northern St. Pete / Howard Franklin Bridge area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomocal View Post
Ok, I think I've narrowed down my choice down to St. Petersburg. What would you guys says are the best qualities and the worst qualities of the city? How are the people? Could you relate the diverseness of people to Miami??

Thanks !

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 27,850 times
I agree, I have also narrowed my choice down to the St. Pete area. I have been told by various young individuals (friends) that downtown is a nice place, and there are many local "non-chain" cafes and a decent "low-key" night scene. I am hearing different here, any thoughts?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:40 AM

39 posts, read 174,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharingflorida View Post
I always hear that Downtown St. Pete is the 'bad' area. Stay closer to Northern St. Pete / Howard Franklin Bridge area.
I have lived in St Pete for six years now and have never heard that Downtown is a 'bad' area. Yes, St Pete does have lower income 'crime' areas, but downtown is not one of them (IMO).

Who ever said do your research is correct. St Pete's pros are a thriving waterfront downtown and beautiful beaches and many clean, safe and desireable neighorhoods. Cons are traffic during commute hours.

I have also found the people to be some of the nicest I have come across. A smile goes a long way and most people in St Pete are happy to return one. St Pete is diverse but probably not as diverse as Miami.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:56 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukebgsu View Post
I agree, I have also narrowed my choice down to the St. Pete area. I have been told by various young individuals (friends) that downtown is a nice place, and there are many local "non-chain" cafes and a decent "low-key" night scene. I am hearing different here, any thoughts?
You hear correct about many local non-chain places and a decent nightlife.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:00 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,180 times
Pros- burgeoning nightlife, well-educated workforce (largest concentration of marine science jobs in the SOutheast), decent politicians, proximity to beaches, good fishing, many restaurants, nice neighborhoods, family friendly, no longer all old people.

Cons- crime (though mostly concentrated in South Central), older housing stock (can be a plus if taken care of or you are into refurbushing), understaffed police dept. (Mayor Baker has his head inthe sand), white trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay