Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 13,758 times

Advertisements

Been to a Publix shopping center lately? or a parking lot say in any suburban location? Publix can pivot very very quickly for a big privately held company. Competition is a good thing. It makes everybody better, or they lose out. Kroger sat back on their arrogant heels in ATLANTA, and thought Kroger would reign supreme. They are now getting their butts kicked very badly week after week, since Publix decided to enter that market. The same thing is going on right now in the Carolinas to east TN, to Birmingham and North Alabama, and even around Nashville now.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:00 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is exactly it, IMO. People (like me) do a lot of shopping at other places, and then fill out our list at Publix. Or sometimes if I only need a few things I stop at Publix. This is enough to keep them going.

I agree with the poster who said Publix is a smart company; and they will adjust. They don't stick their heads in the sand. I have seen plenty of changes in Publix over the years. Years ago they DID have a "restaurant area" and salad bar in most of their stores, but removed them. I expect it wasn't profitable then. I believe some of the newer larger stores in affluent areas have them now. And they did add a soup bar to the small one where I shop. If demand increases I expect they will do this again.

They have also have increased their selections of organic and gluten-free items. Anyone on a special diet can get whatever they need at any Publix, even the smallest oldest one where I shop.

And I agree with the poster above (JMatl) who stated "Don't assume that other Cities across the Southeast aren't exposed to 'outside influences,' or are afraid of change as you so ridiculously implied in regards to Florida. That is preposterous in regards to both the Southeast & Florida. "

There will be a shake-up in the market industry, with all of the newer specialty stores and grocery chains expanding, and some may take a hit; even Publix (temporarily) but I believe they know how to survive, and they are a very strong chain.

Are you seriously saying that a soup bar is innovation?
Maybe it was innovation in 1987.
Oh and by the way, Publix does not have a soup bar.
A soup bar is an island of 20 or more soups, like at Wegmans and other chains.

Anyone on a special diet cannot in fact get whatever they want at Publix. Their special diet assortment is puny and their prepared foods and bakery products are chemical-laden. I dare you to find organic cookies in the bakery or organic bread for that matter. The amount of chemicals in their cakes is a horror movie.

Publix is awesome if you need some fried chicken, hot dogs, Oreos, ice cream, in other words processed food. It sucks if you need high quality organic produce, seafood, meats, or prepared foods/bakery items that are not full of salt and chemicals.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-07-2017 at 04:09 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 04:45 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Pubix is the best place to shop in FL. W/D is run down and has higher prices.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Are you seriously saying that a soup bar is innovation?
Maybe it was innovation in 1987.
Oh and by the way, Publix does not have a soup bar.
A soup bar is an island of 20 or more soups, like at Wegmans and other chains.

Anyone on a special diet cannot in fact get whatever they want at Publix. Their special diet assortment is puny and their prepared foods and bakery products are chemical-laden. I dare you to find organic cookies in the bakery or organic bread for that matter. The amount of chemicals in their cakes is a horror movie.

Publix is awesome if you need some fried chicken, hot dogs, Oreos, ice cream, in other words processed food. It sucks if you need high quality organic produce, seafood, meats, or prepared foods/bakery items that are not full of salt and chemicals.
Many of the new Publix stores do have the things you are describing about Wegmans. But a small number of stores.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:15 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Many of the new Publix stores do have the things you are describing about Wegmans. But a small number of stores.
That is what I was saying but the OP is hell-bent on discrediting Publix in every way for some reason. I personally could care less, it's just a grocery store. I have so many options of places to shop where I liveI sure don't need a warehouse size store like a Wegman's. I like small stores where I am in an out. And I sure don't want to dine in a grocery store. Or go to a music event in one. I stay away like the plague when they have events like that at say Fresh market.

Bottom line, Publix is still far and away the best grocery store around here. It is the one place I can get everything I need if I can only make one stop. And they are smart to have a LOT of stores around, because the majority of people do not want to have to drive too far to shop. Most will shop where it is most convenient; at least on a regular basis and just occasionally go to the "specialty" markets.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
15 pages of grocery talk. You folks must be great at dinner parties......

Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 AM

628 posts, read 695,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like Publix could def improve their prepared food section. Often times, it's friend chicken, mac and cheese and maybe some other "southern" food options. No, thanks.

I agree 100% the prepared foods is "YUCK" I tossed the last time I purchased. Full of salt! Chicken all I could see was pink! 3030_ NOTE: the last number left off no accident.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
15 pages of grocery talk. You folks must be great at dinner parties......
Kinda like your Rays and Bucs threads jed.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That is what I was saying but the OP is hell-bent on discrediting Publix in every way for some reason.
The OP is hell-bent on discrediting anything remotely close to this city whenever possible. See the thread about the airport and how nonstop flights to Greenland are a negative thing.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The OP is hell-bent on discrediting anything remotely close to this city whenever possible. See the thread about the airport and how nonstop flights to Greenland are a negative thing.
His rain gauge is even worse. Lied like a rug and said he had .40" the other day when south Tampa got nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay