Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Winn Dixies are typically filthy. Wal-Mart, outside of ethical issues, is dirty and you have to expect to spend a good hour waiting to check out at the one register they have open. This isn't shocking. People who shop there tend to overlook these issues.
The one in Hudson never has anyone there and the prices are higher than pubix.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:30 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiselost View Post
Publix does have a good deli, But there grocery prices are terrible. Publix simply feeds off hiring the customer service friendly retirees who will take minimum wage while they collect a Northeastern US pension.
Yeah, I agree. Publix works well in Florida, because many retirees want a slower, shopping experience, and they make enough money that they can afford to spend a little more for food. Most of them are retired and have large pensions (think $50,000 a year) and so for them it's worth the convenience to be in an out of there quickly, rather than walk through a crowded Walmart.

That's why I said, one of the strongest selling points of Publix is the convenience factor, which plays well with retired and a population where there are large numbers of retired people, but that may not play well ino other parts of the country.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:14 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Most of them are retired and have large pensions (think $50,000 a year)
where did you get this info??

Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
where did you get this info??
Just my guess. Is that a legitimate source? A lot of old people shop there. It's a much slower-paced experience and the fact that Publix has baggers that offer to carry their shopping bags and help put it into the car. Also, lots of tourists go there (not knowing otherwise). For British people, everything is cheap in America, including Publix.

Or are you talking about pensions? Yes, in places up north, lots of corporate and government workers have pensions.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:33 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Just my guess. Is that a legitimate source? A lot of old people shop there. It's a much slower-paced experience and the fact that Publix has baggers that offer to carry their shopping bags and help put it into the car. Also, lots of tourists go there (not knowing otherwise). For British people, everything is cheap in America, including Publix.

Or are you talking about pensions? Yes, in places up north, lots of corporate and government workers have pensions.
Well lets find out first and perhaps your opinion would change.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Well lets find out first and perhaps your opinion would change.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe very few people actually do most of their groceries at Publix. That's the thing with Publix. Publix is more for getting a few things at a time. Like if Walmart ran out of an item (which they often do at busy times) you might stop by at Publix and buy the overpriced packaging there. Maybe, Publix is just a place where people go for convenience and only to pick up few things and the occasional person for whom money is not an issue for them. That and their sales can sometimes be good, too.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 PM

73 posts, read 65,004 times
Publix is a smart company and they will adjust.
There still must be a ton of margin; which of course is being squeezed like a Florida orange.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Especially outside of So Fla. Publix has a niche in the Southeastern states. However I doubt it would do well in regions with numerous major grocers. That is outside of the Southeast.
How wrong you are, Jimrob1.

Publix battles Kroger head to head in Atlanta, with each having over 120 stores. They both do very well, as do many smaller chains. This is repeated on a smaller scale across the Southeast where Publix operates and is expanding to.

Don't assume that other Cities across the Southeast aren't exposed to 'outside influences,' or are afraid of change as you so ridiculously implied in regards to Florida. That is preposterous in regards to both the Southeast & Florida.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:51 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe very few people actually do most of their groceries at Publix. That's the thing with Publix. Publix is more for getting a few things at a time. Like if Walmart ran out of an item (which they often do at busy times) you might stop by at Publix and buy the overpriced packaging there. Maybe, Publix is just a place where people go for convenience and only to pick up few things and the occasional person for whom money is not an issue for them. That and their sales can sometimes be good, too.
That is exactly it, IMO. People (like me) do a lot of shopping at other places, and then fill out our list at Publix. Or sometimes if I only need a few things I stop at Publix. This is enough to keep them going.

I agree with the poster who said Publix is a smart company; and they will adjust. They don't stick their heads in the sand. I have seen plenty of changes in Publix over the years. Years ago they DID have a "restaurant area" and salad bar in most of their stores, but removed them. I expect it wasn't profitable then. I believe some of the newer larger stores in affluent areas have them now. And they did add a soup bar to the small one where I shop. If demand increases I expect they will do this again.

They have also have increased their selections of organic and gluten-free items. Anyone on a special diet can get whatever they need at any Publix, even the smallest oldest one where I shop.

And I agree with the poster above (JMatl) who stated "Don't assume that other Cities across the Southeast aren't exposed to 'outside influences,' or are afraid of change as you so ridiculously implied in regards to Florida. That is preposterous in regards to both the Southeast & Florida. "

There will be a shake-up in the market industry, with all of the newer specialty stores and grocery chains expanding, and some may take a hit; even Publix (temporarily) but I believe they know how to survive, and they are a very strong chain.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Pubix is doing fine. I shop there every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay