Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,938 times

Advertisements

So, I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I have a job I'm looking into in St. Pete that I'm really excited about. I'd be moving from CT and living on my own, so just a 1 bedroom would be fine, though 2 would be nice to use one as a home office/guest room because as soon as I say I'm moving to Florida everyone and their mom will want to visit .

I was doing some research on housing costs and I'm wondering what neighborhoods I should look into. I've found lots of gated community places that look really nice from anywhere between $500-800/mo (for example, one is Emerald Pointe apts and another is Shoredrive apts), but I don't know if that's an ideal environment for a single young person or if only older people and vacationers live there. It would be nice to live on the water because that's always been a dream of mine but by all means is not a necessity. I'd also like someplace with or close to a dog park and place to take nice walks in general.

And of course, a safe part of town .

So, any suggestions? I'm reading on this site that NE=good, S=bad. Any neighborhoods specifically?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,381,194 times
I like NE ...from downtown to Gandy, typically East of 4th street is my fav locale over in St. Pete.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:53 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,366,252 times
I wouldn't recommend Emerald Point - I've known people who lived there (one just moved recently), and say it's going down.

It is, however, in a safe area.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the info! Keep it coming

Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,604,953 times
Default Pinellas Park

A 30-something friend of ours just moved from Pinellas Park (job relo). She loved living in Pinellas Park and walking her dog at Freedom Lake Park --> Freedom Lake Park* (http://www.pinellas-park.com/Departments/Recreation/freedomlake.asp - broken link). There are a whole group of people there every morning around 7am and again around 5pm. She also told us there are separately enclosed areas for both large and small dogs to run off leash.

She had a house near the Pinellas Park City Hall which she sold and then she moved into an apartment. She said she was always fighting flea infestations with the apartment management and missed her house. Just something for you to think about (fleas).

Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 AM

367 posts, read 1,687,952 times
I know a guy who has a three apartments in NE st pete in a nice area, he advertises one on vrbo for short term rentals, but may take a long term in stead. He is nice and the place is nice, dm me if you want more details - not sure if he will do another long term but I know it's nice and you can try. Its close to dog park and waterfront (northshore pool) area
(I am not making anything on this by the way)

Old 02-26-2008, 10:38 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,604,953 times
My family and I are pet lovers. Regarding my friend's previous experience, the fleas were not in the apartment, but on the grounds surrounding the buildings.

Do a search on fleas on this forum and you should see many previous posts on the problems and potential solutions which I contributed to. IMO, fleas are very difficult to erradicate in Florida.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-26-2008 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: removed deleted post..

Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
You are right about the fleas. My dogs didn't get fleas from my house, but on walks. The problem is the weather doesn't get cold enough, long enough to kill them so you have them all year round.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM

849 posts, read 3,529,013 times
Default fleas have become

a problem anywhere. They never really die off. Tehy just go into hibernation in the cold weather elsewhere and the eggs can survive for months in a dormant state. The only thing to do is keep the kitties inside where it's safer anyway and use frontline on the pooches. I know it chemicals but what can you do. I once used a pyrethrin based anti-flea on a cat and both she and I got violently ill. it was "natural" made from chrysanthemums, and approved for cat use but ugh! Thankfully, we've never introduced one from our shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My family and I are pet lovers. Regarding my friend's previous experience, the fleas were not in the apartment, but on the grounds surrounding the buildings.

Do a search on fleas on this forum and you should see many previous posts on the problems and potential solutions which I contributed to. IMO, fleas are very difficult to erradicate in Florida.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Wow, I never even thought about fleas! Hasn't ever been much of a problem for anyone I know up here in CT (I don't actually have a dog yet, but will be getting one wherever I end up). Definitely something to keep in mind that I wouldn't have considered until the little buggers showed up. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay