Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 PM

14 posts, read 63,454 times

Advertisements

How bad is the sinkhole problem up in Hernado county. Timber Pines in Spring Hill seems like a nice community. Does anyone know what this community is like? How much is hazard insurance on lets say a $100,000 dollar house?

Last edited by azurewater; 11-11-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 10:11 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
https://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/...p=Sinkhole.xml

The GIS maps will let you see reported "sinkhole" properties, both repaired and not. I suggest doing your own research and you'll develop a good grasp of the situation. There are real sinkholes, and there are lots of claimed sinkholes where people got big insurance payouts and either walked away from the property - or are still living in it - with none of those funds having gone towards repairs.

As far as insurance, basic homeowners covers catastrophic sinkhole loss. You can purchase supplemental coverage. Personally, I don't know anyone who has it. My homeowners policy is just under $2500 a year for a pretty big house.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurewater View Post
How bad is the sinkhole problem up in Hernado county. Timber Pines in Spring Hill seems like a nice community. Does anyone know what this community is like? How much is hazard insurance on lets say a $100,000 dollar house?
Timber Pines is a nice community.It seems to be one of the few communities where they didnt just flatten everything, build a bunch of houses and then plant a few trees here and there. There is a lot of the natural trees and vegatation still there which is nice. There are a lot of "mini'" communities within the overall community. There are sections of attached units and areas of larger houses with decent sized yards. There are community pools in some of the "mini" communities. There is a golf course that seems to be very well kept. It seems to be a pretty active community. When i lived in that area i did work in that community pretty much on a daily basis. It was probablly my favorite community in the Spring Hill area to do work in. There seems to be a really good mix of people. It's been a couple years since i've been in there but when i was the sinkhole activity seemed to be located in a small area. I dont know what it is like now. For a while that sinkhole "craze" seemed to spread like a disease whether it was real or not. That will probablly die down after a while. Not sure about the insurance aspect of it. We have a couple friends who actually just sold their houses in Spring Hill and moved into a small condo type unit in Timber Pines to simplify their lifestyle. They really like it there. Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Now that the cost of sinkhole coverage has gone through the roof due to all the "cracks in the ceiling" claims there arent so many sinkhole claims now. Those who were able to cash in have done so.

Timber Pines is an older community thus the homes are older, however, it is a nice development.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:44 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
The sink hole map doesn't wok any longer...does anyone has the new link?

Old 11-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The sink hole map doesn't wok any longer...does anyone has the new link?
It must be down for maintenance or something. It's the correct link, I got it from the county property appraiser and have used it before. I actually had it up and was looking at it when I posted it, and copied/pasted the link from my browser.

There are maps for other things that are part of the same system, not just sinkholes.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:29 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I have used it before too but it hasn't been working for at least the last 2-3 months.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 PM

Like I said, I was on it the night I made that post. A friend of mine who visited was asking me about a house that's for sale in my neighborhood and I looked it up on the sinkhole map. Maybe they changed the actual page addresses.

Try this, it's the main page:

http://www.hernandocountygis-fl.us/PublicMapGallery/

I was able to get in, go to the second page and click on the sinkhole map and pull up my neighborhood. I am looking at it right now.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 11,466 times
Hernando County has a new web site and I was just there....we are considering the community, but this was an eyeopening map!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Do sinkholes give you any warning, or can they suddenly just swallow you up while you are posting a repl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay