Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

My first two have sentimental value, and I loved the colors of the water there where it gets that light green/aqua blue....and when you get storm clouds afar, sun rays around 4pm, and that water colored like that it is just gorgeous. I should have added Bahia Honda to my list as well; that one is on the way to Key West and its just gorgeous, quiet, and you can walk in the water ankle deep for some time...just beautiful. I would move back on the east coast in 2 seconds if it wasn't for the kids school. To me it is about scenic views and not amenities, matter of fact the less that there is around a beach, the better. In Miami/Fort Lauderdale you don't get a sunset on the beach, but you get the water back-lit by it, so the water becomes the focus with the different shades of aqua blue that it gets there...I love that. You don't get the same effect here, because here the emphasis is on the sun/clouds for our gorgeous sunsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I notice Honeymoon Island comes up a lot. I saw it featured on some travel show recently and it looked beautiful. Algia, what is it about your list that make them stand out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:50 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
My first two have sentimental value, and I loved the colors of the water there where it gets that light green/aqua blue....and when you get storm clouds afar, sun rays around 4pm, and that water colored like that it is just gorgeous. I should have added Bahia Honda to my list as well; that one is on the way to Key West and its just gorgeous, quiet, and you can walk in the water ankle deep for some time...just beautiful. I would move back on the east coast in 2 seconds if it wasn't for the kids school. To me it is about scenic views and not amenities, matter of fact the less that there is around a beach, the better. In Miami/Fort Lauderdale you don't get a sunset on the beach, but you get the water back-lit by it, so the water becomes the focus with the different shades of aqua blue that it gets there...I love that. You don't get the same effect here, because here the emphasis is on the sun/clouds for our gorgeous sunsets.
I agree that views are important. One of the pretties areas in Rhode Island is called Colt State Park in Bristol. The grounds wrap around with a bike path, large grass areas, and many parking areas looking out over the bay leading to the ocean. But out of all the grounds, there is only one tiny public beach area. If you go at dusk when no one is there, you can climb up on the life guard chair and sit to watch the sun set. Although I'd prefer a skyline meeting the water, it is neat to watch the sun set over the city of Providence, with the different colored lights flickering.

Hey, it's not palm trees and green-blue water but you have to find the silver lining living up here.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshinecc View Post
I agree that views are important. One of the pretties areas in Rhode Island is called Colt State Park in Bristol. The grounds wrap around with a bike path, large grass areas, and many parking areas looking out over the bay leading to the ocean. But out of all the grounds, there is only one tiny public beach area. If you go at dusk when no one is there, you can climb up on the life guard chair and sit to watch the sun set. Although I'd prefer a skyline meeting the water, it is neat to watch the sun set over the city of Providence, with the different colored lights flickering.

Hey, it's not palm trees and green-blue water but you have to find the silver lining living up here.
Ohh, believe me, sunset over water are not the only ones that matter....Phoenix, AZ get fantastic sunsets too over mountains...Next time we're up north somewhere, we'll have to find a new sunset spot...LOL

Old 02-28-2013, 07:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We are so blessed here on the Gulf Coast with SO MANY fabulous beaches, each with their own vibe. Since I haven't lived in Tampa for years and currently in Sarasota/Bradenton, my favorites are.

1. Bradenton/Coquina beach, basically all the beaches on Anna Maria Island. Anna Maria is "old Florida", mostly small scale, lots of older homes, cottages, etc. and lots of waterfront eateries. The sand is snowy white and super fine, and the water is turquoise. There are even some trees here and there. Bradenton Beach also has a lot of funky/tacky colorful shops that I love, and historic Bridge St.

2. Lido Beach. Love Lido for it's cosmopolitan feel and proximity to St. Armand's Circle. Lido has been a favorite of mine for decades.

3. St. Beach/Pass-a-Grille - I don't really go here now since I don't need to, but my favorite in the St. Pete area. Fort DeSoto really great, too.

While Siesta Beach here in Sarasota is beautiful and always on "best beaches" list, I don't care to go there because the crowds are just enormous. It has gotten waaaaay too popular in the last several years. Siesta key is really beautiful though, like driving through a tropical jungle and then you come to the popular beaches. It has a neat "Village" area, small but with restaurants and shops.

I will also mention Indian Rocks. When I was a kid living in Tampa, we would vacation there all the time. It has more of an old Florida feel, not as built up as places like Clearwater Beach, etc.

So when it comes to beaches there is something for everyone here!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We are so blessed here on the Gulf Coast with SO MANY fabulous beaches, each with their own vibe. Since I haven't lived in Tampa for years and currently in Sarasota/Bradenton, my favorites are.

1. Bradenton/Coquina beach, basically all the beaches on Anna Maria Island. Anna Maria is "old Florida", mostly small scale, lots of older homes, cottages, etc. and lots of waterfront eateries. The sand is snowy white and super fine, and the water is turquoise. There are even some trees here and there. Bradenton Beach also has a lot of funky/tacky colorful shops that I love, and historic Bridge St.

2. Lido Beach. Love Lido for it's cosmopolitan feel and proximity to St. Armand's Circle. Lido has been a favorite of mine for decades.

3. St. Beach/Pass-a-Grille - I don't really go here now since I don't need to, but my favorite in the St. Pete area. Fort DeSoto really great, too.

While Siesta Beach here in Sarasota is beautiful and always on "best beaches" list, I don't care to go there because the crowds are just enormous. It has gotten waaaaay too popular in the last several years. Siesta key is really beautiful though, like driving through a tropical jungle and then you come to the popular beaches. It has a neat "Village" area, small but with restaurants and shops.

I will also mention Indian Rocks. When I was a kid living in Tampa, we would vacation there all the time. It has more of an old Florida feel, not as built up as places like Clearwater Beach, etc.

So when it comes to beaches there is something for everyone here!
All I can do is sigh and say (((wow)))....................

My move cannot come soon enough!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 AM

226 posts, read 339,729 times
Crap I'm jealous your move is so soon, I have another 2 yrs before I can square everything away to get there. It's hard to focus and live a happy life here anymore when my head is firmly planted in Tampa Bay area lol

Old 02-28-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Crap I'm jealous your move is so soon, I have another 2 yrs before I can square everything away to get there. It's hard to focus and live a happy life here anymore when my head is firmly planted in Tampa Bay area lol
Overit, my move is not taking place until summer (in the crazy heat no less!) of next year. This gives me enough time to save enough money so I won't be flat broke when I get there since I have no way of knowing what the job market for me will be like.

Everyone is different with what keeps them motivated and focused but I tell you what works for me - first and foremost, becoming part of this online community has been very enjoyable, getting to "know" so many wonderful people and reading about all that's great down there - it gives me a feeling of being closer to my goal; what has helped in a big way also is to put on paper my budget for savings from now until my move - for some reason, having it laid out in front of me keeps me on track and holds me to what I need to do; and lastly, and I'm sure some people may poke fun (go ahead, it's ok, lol), is really picture in your head being down there, living, working, being on the beach, etc.. Call it positive thinking, energy, etc. but it works for me. I have a map of Tampa Bay and St. Pete tacked to my wall even, .

Best of luck to you and your time will come!!

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

226 posts, read 339,729 times
Yes! I've certainly enjoyed this community, the good and bad reports all bring value. Because of this community (and greatschools.org) I've been able to narrow downt= the areas I want to live in quite well. I would be thrilled to have my sons in PHUH, but Countryside would be the 2nd option based on location. I'm torn between P. Harbor and then S. Harbor/Oldsmar area, even perhaps Dunedin or Countryside area of Clearwater. I will likely be working at the airport to S. Harbor/Oldsmar would be much closer for me, less commute and also just as close to beaches. Countryside High isn't the best but it seems like it would be decent enough (especially considering the schools here in GA! Douglas county specifically! UGH).

I'm with you, I DO allow myself to picture myself there, daydream, I visit lots of sites that have pictures of the parks, beaches, I envision my life there already. DOwn to building my garden box finally, and the home w/the pool...the bike rides with my sons, fishing with my guy, learning to kayak and taking my Boston out on the water with me Ready for a complete lifestyle change from what I have here. It seems so pedestrian/outdorsy friendly! Here we have NO bike routes, no trails for walking, skating for my kids. EVERY thing has to be acessed with car, no beaches...and asides from camping at Red Top Mountain which we love, this state really does nothing for me. It's opressive.

I LOVE LOVE your idea of printing out a map and keeping it close to me so I can keep my goals/motivation and dreams on track. I'll come back here and see how it's going for you once you're there.

There are issues w/the value of my home right now...so that is quite uncertain if I will end up renting, short-selling, etc...need at least about 10K to move I would think? How have you estimated yours? Will be renting at first- I'm thinking 1st/last month plus security deposit, pet fee, utility connections, uhaul or moving truck (we can certainly pack stuff on our own with friends/family help). My goal is to start w/those savings in the next 2-3 months. Are you the one that is going w/your daughter to St. Pete area? If so-man, that area looks so vibrant and great access to everything...but w/my sons I need them to be in a very good HS area...after that we're free to move anywhere

Old 02-28-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
I'm with you, I DO allow myself to picture myself there, daydream, I visit lots of sites that have pictures of the parks, beaches, I envision my life there already. DOwn to building my garden box finally, and the home w/the pool...the bike rides with my sons, fishing with my guy, learning to kayak and taking my Boston out on the water with me Ready for a complete lifestyle change from what I have here. It seems so pedestrian/outdorsy friendly! Here we have NO bike routes, no trails for walking, skating for my kids. EVERY thing has to be acessed with car, no beaches...and asides from camping at Red Top Mountain which we love, this state really does nothing for me. It's opressive.

I LOVE LOVE your idea of printing out a map and keeping it close to me so I can keep my goals/motivation and dreams on track. I'll come back here and see how it's going for you once you're there.

There are issues w/the value of my home right now...so that is quite uncertain if I will end up renting, short-selling, etc...need at least about 10K to move I would think? How have you estimated yours? Will be renting at first- I'm thinking 1st/last month plus security deposit, pet fee, utility connections, uhaul or moving truck (we can certainly pack stuff on our own with friends/family help). My goal is to start w/those savings in the next 2-3 months. Are you the one that is going w/your daughter to St. Pete area? If so-man, that area looks so vibrant and great access to everything...but w/my sons I need them to be in a very good HS area...after that we're free to move anywhere
I had to look up Red Top Mountain - is that in Georgia? If it is, at least you are already in a warm climate. I'm in Mass and the weather is just AWFUL. I spend the majority of my spare time in Rhode Island just to be near the ocean and "pretend" I'm somewhere better, lol.

Having a house to sell certainly adds to proper timing of everything. I'm renting now and will be once I get there. I'm renting a drivable U-Haul and towing my truck so it'll be an adventure for sure but it's the cheapest way that I've seen and it allows me to control the timing of everything. I'm not sure if you meant 10k to have once you're there or 10k moving expenses. I can't remember exactly but my moving expenses were somewhere between 3 and 5k (estimate) plus the up front rental costs.

You asked if I am the one moving with my daughter, no, that is Girlsmom. And I believe she is looking to move in August, lucky girl! But I, too, will be looking to move to St. Pete, most likely the Old Northeast area.

I forgot one more thing I do...I record as many shows on Florida that I can find, especially the ones in the greater Tampa Bay area, just to get a glimpse of what it looks like down there. It's so much fun!

Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
My favourite beach is Pass A Grille. Stunning sunsets and views from the Hurricane's rooftop bar. Also, it has an old-school laid back vibe, and doesn't have the high-rise condos or hotels that many of the other Pinellas beaches have.

I took these pics from there a few weeks ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay