Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM

173 posts, read 449,666 times

Advertisements

The short story: A room in a house to be rented. What restrictions would you impose upon the renter? Additional income and companionship to current occupant.

The long story: My father-in-law's house passed to my wife in his will upon his death. His second wife, not her mother, will continue to live in the house as long as she wants, "life estate." My wife is the "remainderman." Wife2 is lonely and wants to rent out a room to another older lady. She has the right to do this, and its fine with us, with conditions. By law, she cannot diminish the property in value. She pays all insurances, taxes, maint. etc. We want to house to remain in the very good condition that it currently is.

What restrictions would you suggest to her, in finding a roommate? No smoking, no pets is what came to my mind. Any other ones? The Lease, I am thinking month to month, to safeguard any changes to the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,121,164 times
Since it is the widow's home, the widow's rules.

Why are you all involved in this process?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM

173 posts, read 449,666 times
The house comes to my wife, upon her step-mom's death. I am involved in the process to minimize loss. If the widow damages the house in any way, if she doesn't repair in a reasonable time, we can evict her. We don't think it will come to that, we just want to be careful. My wife doesn't want to inherit a smelly, stinky house, with damages.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,813,723 times
No pet and no smoking policy is the only things that came to my mind.
No matter what people who rent will not take the same care as people who own the house. You just need to make control the condition of the house once in a while and be ready that normal damages will needed to be address in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay