Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:03 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,466,771 times

Advertisements

Link: Sources: USF expected to fire Skip Holtz | TBO.com

Can we not find someone who can coach the football team for $500K a year? why pay $2Million??

Replace guaranteed contracts with yearly contracts!!!

Next time, I'll remind anyone asking for money towards scholarships to lower athletic dept budget

Quote:
After last summer's contract extension, Holtz is signed through the 2017 season at $2 million per year.In October, USF athletic director Doug Woolard said he would evaluate the program at season's end. If Holtz is fired, he is owed a $2.5 million buyout, payable in annual $500,000 installments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 01:08 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
A good college football team that makes a bowl game can earn the school millions - the team brings in a lot of income to the university.

I'm glad Holtz isn't returning. I'm a season ticket holder and think I only went to one game this season - and ate the tickets. I was considering not renewing for 2013 - but now if USF finds a decent head coach, I just might.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
College football head coaches usually do not get paid by public funds or tuition collected, they get paid through the athletics department that is funded by boosters, donations, ticket sales, tv contracts, bowl revenue and tv deals. Hopefully USF can find a better coach to replace Skip, he had alot of potential but in the end just may not have been Florida coaching material.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
College football head coaches usually do not get paid by public funds or tuition collected, they get paid through the athletics department that is funded by boosters, donations, ticket sales, tv contracts, bowl revenue and tv deals. .

Here is a link to see how much schools pay from their budget

Link: USA TODAY Sports college football coaches salaries database

Last edited by Sunscape; 12-06-2012 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
I liked Skip Holtz as well. It has to be VERY DIFFICULT to get the players to come here over Florida, Florida State and the University of Miami.

I believe you are correct in how they are paid, but that money still goes to the school. I think a good coach can easily be worth the Salary (and of course the 10+ assistants they need) if they can win and put people in the stands, get to a bowl game, get on Tuesday thru Friday ESPN college game, etc...

I forget what lowly ranked school was that played twice this year during the week for ESPN. The Coach answered honestly and directly when he said, 'We played these two teams because the TV revenue [Over 500K for each game] paid for the Football Program.

As far as raising tuition, Ask that English Professor that makes well over 500K per year why the price hike? I am sure he is good, but if you teach English perfectly for 200K per year, what drives earning over 500K per year. You can only teach that subject so well.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
I liked Skip Holtz as well. It has to be VERY DIFFICULT to get the players to come here over Florida, Florida State and the University of Miami.

The goal of colleges/universities ought to be to enhance academic values not how to get players to come to their universities.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
Absolutely BS.

That webpage is incorrect. I looked up "Florida" which showed all Florida Schools.

It said the school pays 100% of all coaches in Florida.

That's just not true. The Athletic Associations (boosters) pay the entire coaches salary at UF and FSU, I am not sure about USF. I also have no desire to do the research, but I doubt they school pays all of it.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,153 times
Default Well...

Quote:
The goal of colleges/universities ought to be to enhance academic values not how to get players to come to their universities.
While I don't necessarily disagree, I just don't think it is reality. If it was Reality, without the revenue from Sporting Events, college costs would be Astronomical.

The Harvard study's assertions are supported by data collected by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development for its report "Education at a Glance 2010." Among 18 countries tracked by the OECD, the United States finished last (46 percent) for the percentage of students who completed college once they started it.

I grew up in Michigan. The University of Michigan sits over 110,000 people for each home Football Game. This is not a typo, this is fact. They sell over 100,000 tickets each game day. They had 8 home games last season and 6 this season (plus a big one in Dallas that they recieved a lot of money for).

I will be on the conservative side and say each ticket averages 50 per ticket. That is 5 million dollars on ticket revenue alone for a home game. 40 million in 2011 to that University.

My only comment is with money like this, college tuition should be cheap!!!!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM

265 posts, read 974,849 times
Giving Holtz and extension was a mistake and I believe the USF AD should be fired for it. Like any other industry a Coaches salary should be based on performance and Holtz simply didnt perform. The AD made a leap of faith with the extension and it backfired. As a Booster and a USF alum I agree wholeheartedly with Holtz's firing.

Its easy to demonize Coaches salaries and I dont disagree that they are overpaid. Lets not overlook the fact that USF's academics are doing quite well and havent been compromised by the Athletic Dept. USF's national ranking went up again this year, USF is rated a "very high research" by the Carnegie Foundation which is the highest distinction awarded, the most recent incoming freshmen class was the strongest in the school's history and USF ranks #1 nationally among Universities in US Patents awarded.

That all said, athletics do play a huge role in a Universities finances and football contributes huge sums of money to the University. This is through tickets sales, TV rights, merchandise, concessions and other monies donated to the general scholarship fund and Foundation. Whats more, perspective students consistently choose to go to Universities/Colleges with notable athletic programs (see the 100% increase in enrollment at Miami during their National Championship years and the subsequent decline recently). Keeping a viable product on the field makes good sense not only economically but also academically.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:21 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,338,239 times
Quote:
Absolutely BS.

USF fires football coach Skip Holtz | TBO.com

"Woolard said Holtz's buyout will be budgeted over the next five years and no state funds will be used. There are no financial obstacles in finding USF's new football coach, he said."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay