Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:10 AM

44 posts, read 68,615 times

Advertisements

You have to live in the state for at least a year prior to getting in state tuition? I understand to a degree that this policy is in place so people don't relocate TO go to school and get in state tuition, but it sort of stinks that we're buying a house and going to be paying all kinds of state taxes and I'd *like* to go back to school and may not be able to for 12 months...

I'll have to talk to the financial aid departments, but 25k for community college is a little steep...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,468,266 times
Yep. Welcome to Florida. But we have NO STATE INCOME TAXES!

What should really make your day is that there are 1000's of illegals in this state getting IN STATE TUITION!!

Appeal...you may win!!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,746,838 times
They have that in state tuition rule in almost every state. I say suck it up and wait a year. Don't pay out of state tuition. Or like the other poster advised, try to appeal it.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM

If you show that you own a home and are settled it may help. You will be different

Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM

Well, the email I got back this morning was sort of "too bad, so sad" that's the rule.

I did email back with my exact circumstances, but I don't hold out a lot of hope it'll help. It's not as if we are relocating because I want to go to school in state in Florida.

I understand in the general sense why the rule is in place, but clearly we're purchasing a home and becoming contributing members of the FL economy not moving into a rental so I can go back to community college at an in state rate at age 33 (we don't have sales or income tax here either, and we'll still have to pay non-resident ME income taxes since that's where my husband's employer is based)

We'll see...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:18 AM

50 posts, read 91,094 times
Yup...we moved down last summer...just in time for our daughter to qualify for in state tuition. That being said, out of state tuition in Florida is still cheaper than in state tuition at the state schools up north...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM

265 posts, read 976,068 times
Getting a college education is cheaper in FL than virtually any other State in the nation.

Remember, you only have to pay out of state (OOS) tuition until you are an established resident. If you move down and wait a few months this may only amount to a single semester or possibly two of OOS tuition. The remainder of your time will be at resident tuition rates. Also, some education is tax deductible so there is some silver lining.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
...and we'll still have to pay non-resident ME income taxes since that's where my husband's employer is based)

We'll see...
I hate to call bull crap on that, but you should check it out first. I have worked in several states with income taxes, and that doesn't at all line up.

For example, my current employer is based in Virginia, but I don't have their taxes. Anyone that works for Wal-Mart, their employer is based in Arkansas, so they don't pay those taxes.

Another example, let's say you live in Missouri and work in Kansas. You pay income taxes to Kansas since that is where you earn your income. There is also a small part you pay to Missouri since you live there. But the overall tax burden is about the same. You get a refund from one state and owe the other.

If you live and work in a state with no income tax, then you don't pay in another state just because that is where the employer is based. You aren't receiving anything for the taxes, so you don't pay.

Know what I mean?

I am no tax professional, but I have lived in a few states with taxes and that is how it works.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:26 AM

It's considered "Maine source" income since he works remotely from a company based in ME.

Look it up, they are awful. Even worse, when he started working for this company the Maine IRS kept sending letters we owed them for back years too when he worked for companies out of Maine.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:00 AM

27,219 posts, read 46,811,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowBirdMom View Post
You have to live in the state for at least a year prior to getting in state tuition? I understand to a degree that this policy is in place so people don't relocate TO go to school and get in state tuition, but it sort of stinks that we're buying a house and going to be paying all kinds of state taxes and I'd *like* to go back to school and may not be able to for 12 months...

I'll have to talk to the financial aid departments, but 25k for community college is a little steep...
Isn't that the same in other States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay