Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times

Advertisements

Plant City/South Lakeland area?

Is Wesley Chapel area similar to Plant City/South Lakeland in feel - in terms of the beautiful green landscape and the not crowded no traffic jam vibe? We liked South Lakeland because it was suburban, lots of services and conveniences and would be commutable to MacDill or Tampa (after my commute today in Nova - an hour and half to drive 20 miles almost anything would be better).

A friend from Clearwater said we should look at New Tampa... thoughts & comments please? we are already planning our next trip down to Fla...

I can't actually *find* New Tampa on the map. Is it a Real Town??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
You will find more traffic in the New Tampa area along Bruce B. Downs. Not terrible, just more. But the area has a 'Newer Feel' then Plant City.

Check the 33647 zip code for Tampa, that is pretty much known as New Tampa. Also Wesley Chapel borders new Tampa along County Line Road.

Very nice areas, very nice subdivisions, has the Wiregrass Mall (Wesley Chapel), and now a new Hospital. Everything you see along the area just looks new, and refreshing.

Some Subdivisions that may interest you:
Live Oak, Grand Hampton, Hunters Green, Arbor Green, Seven Oaks, Heritage Isle and Cory Lake. There have been threads in here regarding some of these, recommend doing a quick search to see the comments.

Some subdivisions have HOA and CDD to go along with the taxes. If looking at making a purchase strongly recommend doing good research to see what areas have what costs. Nothing worse than seeing someone excited about buying only to find out they have an extra 400 or more per month going out of thier pocket. Hope this helps and please ask any questions you may have.

Google Earth for Wesley Chapel really shows in great detail what you would be looking at.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Wesley Chapel and New Tampa are more part of Tampa than Plant City.

Plant City is more rural than the other 2 and Wesley Chapel is fast growing with a nice mall, soon a community college and Raymond James is going to build an office.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:29 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Lakeland/Plant City are much more rural..Wesley Chapel is one large subdivision, and strip mall world!

Map out Bruce B Downs and that's where New Tampa is.

It depends on what you're looking for...you can do Google Earth and see what each looks like. Type each city, and put Bruce B Down to see what it looks like. BUT If schools matter, then Wesley Chapel/New Tampa might work better than Lakeland/Plant city.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM

633 posts, read 1,012,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Lakeland/Plant City are much more rural..Wesley Chapel is one large subdivision, and strip mall world!

Map out Bruce B Downs and that's where New Tampa is.

It depends on what you're looking for...you can do Google Earth and see what each looks like. Type each city, and put Bruce B Down to see what it looks like. BUT If schools matter, then Wesley Chapel/New Tampa might work better than Lakeland/Plant city.
Thanks! I will do the GoogleEarth.

Ruralness-but-strip-malls-grocery-stores-etc of Lakeland was very charming for us, kind of a small town feel. Kids are grown, just the 2 of us making this move, so schools are of no concern. Of course we will be working - my DH probably at MacDill. Yes, a 45 min drive one way from Lakeland area, but were we are coming from, that is like a walk in the park!

Next trip we are going to look at the Wesley Chapel/New Tampa area.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:12 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
we have lived in Lakeland, and I would most definitely choose Lakeland as the more desirable area over Wesley Chapel. There is no charm or character to Wesley Chapel at all. Lakeland is a really beautiful city with all the lakes and a very heavy old tree canopy, plenty of shopping and amenities without being overcrowded or congested.

The commute to Tampa from Lakeland is also a LOT better than Wesley Chapel. We used to live just north of WC and the commute is getting worse by the year, especially with the ongoing construction on the interstate. My husband commutes to Tampa every day (now we live in Sarasota) and the commute from Lakeland was by far the shortest of the three directions we have lived.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
No Problem.

You may also want to look in Palma Ceia...less rural, but much closer to McDill. To compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Thanks! I will do the GoogleEarth.

Ruralness-but-strip-malls-grocery-stores-etc of Lakeland was very charming for us, kind of a small town feel. Kids are grown, just the 2 of us making this move, so schools are of no concern. Of course we will be working - my DH probably at MacDill. Yes, a 45 min drive one way from Lakeland area, but were we are coming from, that is like a walk in the park!

Next trip we are going to look at the Wesley Chapel/New Tampa area.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
New Tampa is very much liked by the people I know who live there. You can check it out.
Palma Ceia is a lovely area too.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:57 PM

420 posts, read 864,629 times
Commute to MacDill from Lakeland? No thanks. Try it out once and you'll quickly change your mind. I agree with the Palma Ceia recommendation.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM

38 posts, read 69,643 times
all of 33647 is hoa or cdd , beware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay