Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

Well, I went to this place today for the first time (my granddaughter asked me) and I thought it was a dump. Does anyone else agree? I used to think that the Florida Aquarium in Tampa was small and dumpy, but that was before I went to CMA. I cannot believe what sad shape that place is in, for the amount of money they are making off that movie. It was completely mobbed and likely a fire hazard for how small it is and the amount of people there, it was dirty, no A/C, very little to do, did I say dirty?

It's really an embarrassing tourist trap for the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 04:02 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
It use to be a sewer treatment plant. No lie.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Yep. I went once and that was one too many!

Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 PM

26 posts, read 83,904 times
How sad I couldn't wait to bring my daughter after seeing the movie. I was so excited after finding out that we can really see Winter! OMG, she will be heart-broken if I don't take her.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 PM

119 posts, read 253,538 times
I TOTALLY disagree. My daughter volunteers and is an intern there at the present time. The movie has brought TONS of visitors, this is true, so it is crowded at times, but DIRTY? I've never seen it dirty and I've been there multiple times. It's and older place, come on...what they do there is SO awesome....they Rescue Rehab and Release...give them a break!! Devotedmom...PLEASE take your daughter to see Winter, but just know that she has TONS of fans now The aquarium is partly outside, so of course no a/c...plenty of breeze tho...please don't let this ONE bad comment ruin it for everyone else...

Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Of course the person who has a vested interest in seeing this place succeed (i.e., the person with a daughter interning there) says it's great.

But the place IS dirty, the water the animals swim in is cloudy, the tanks are dirty, cloudy, rusty, decrepit. The place needs to be closed for a year and completely blown up and redone. I have nothing bad to say about what they do there, but the facility is atrocious and the tanks where they keep the dolphins are, sadly, very small.

Anyone who goes there, who has been to other aquariums in big cities, will agree that the place is a dump. And there are plenty of people on this site, Google, Tripadvisor and other sites who agree.

The fact that it used to be a sewer plant makes perfect sense, that's 1 reason why the place is so badly patched together.

And by the way, when I said no A/C, I was referring to the INTERIOR parts of the place. Which are dank, smelly and have no air flow.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
what movie?

Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
what movie?
A Dolphin's Tale was filmed there Harry Connick Jr and Morgan Freeman starred in it...about Winter the dolphin that was found half dead with an injured tail...He is the star at the CWA...which if you don't go expecting SeaWorld is a fun trip!

Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM

22 posts, read 40,643 times
I'd take the original posters comment as suspect. She thinks the FL aquarium is a dump as well and it's regularly rated as a top facility in the us from Coastal Living Magazine, the Travel Channel, etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM

A top facility in the US? Here's the Coastal Living link. It's number 10 (although it says that the New Orleans Aquarium pre-Katrina could have been number 10). I guess my problem is that I have been to Numbers 1 through 6 and the Fla Aquarium cannot possibly compare to them.

Top 10 Aquariums - Coastal Living

I just Googled Fla Aquarium and this is the first review (most recent) at top:

Mark ‎ - Mar 17, 2012
1 Star

Not worth the $$$ to walk through the door. Dirty, small, and very expensive for what you receive in return. Don't waste your money or time!

Last edited by sinatras; 04-05-2012 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay