Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:24 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,314,637 times

Advertisements

Ok, we decided we might want to go, but I am wondering (since I can't tell exactly from the website) if it is like the Zoo where once inside you have to pay to see some animal exhibits!?

At the Aquarium I saw you pay for the back tour and shark encounters but I didn't get if that's the case for all the exhibits!?

Anyone been there? how is it? I heard conflicting stories so far, some say it's nice some say it will close soon!?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:47 PM

494 posts, read 1,678,999 times
When I went quite some time ago I don't recall paying more than admission. Might be different now. That's been said for years and years but it's still standing ... errrr floating!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:51 PM

1,224 posts, read 4,002,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok, we decided we might want to go, but I am wondering (since I can't tell exactly from the website) if it is like the Zoo where once inside you have to pay to see some animal exhibits!?

At the Aquarium I saw you pay for the back tour and shark encounters but I didn't get if that's the case for all the exhibits!?

Anyone been there? how is it? I heard conflicting stories so far, some say it's nice some say it will close soon!?

Thanks,
I think The Florida Aquarium is super awesome. You pay one price to see most of the exhibits. The place is huge (at least by Oklahoma standards) and there is a really nice splash zone for kids out back. Maybe the most spectacular part of it was the fact that you can order alcoholic beverages and watch the cruise ships disembark from a covered deck. We had a great day there.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM

428 posts, read 1,244,652 times
I didn't notice anything that required additional $.

At the zoo, the only things I've noticed that required extra $ are the rides, or if you want to feed or ride an animal. We had a season pass last year and I can't think of anything that you had to pay just to look at (but I might have missed something.)

I think the aquarium is just okay, maybe something to see once. I've been to several aquariums across the country over the years and I always seem to walk away with a "it was just okay" attitude. Perhaps it is just that I'd rather be snorkeling somewhere instead!!!

This is free --> Tampa Electric - Manatee Viewing Center
I haven't checked it out yet but it could prove to be more interesting for folks like me who have merely a ho-hum attitude about gazing at marine life behind glass.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:13 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,495,263 times
Thought the aquarium was overpriced for what you get to see. Haven't returned for awhile. Don't even know the price of admission anymore.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Ok, Thank you,

Is that Ecotour free? I can't find anything but pictures about it on their website?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,495,263 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...-aquarium.html

This link has a list of prices - parking is $6.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,659,634 times
The kids water area is a lot of fun. Parents can sit back and let the kids play in the water. There is also an area for very little kids to play in the water as well as a sand box to play in. There is a bar that the parents can order drinks.

I think the aquarium is small (sorry to contradict MIlleka). You can through the area in about an hour. Shark feedings are at certain times and maybe certain days. They also have a "meet the divers". Those are free. The ecotour is a seperate fee. I have never done that.

Nearby is Channelside where you have all kinds of restaurants and sometimes have outside musical entertainers. A little further down is a new Childrens Museum (Glazer) and an art museum, which is so small and hardly worth the entrance fee.

If you have AAA, you get a 10% discount. If you are staying at a hotel, you can go to the section that they have information on local activities. They often have information about the Aquarium with a discount coupon. I have also seen the discount coupons at MOSI.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:45 PM

39 posts, read 77,887 times
It's overpriced and overrated and dirty. I'd skip it and head to the Atlanta aquarium instead.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Well now, if we want to play in the water or in the sand, the beach is much better for that....IMO....LOL

I don't think I'd want to pay $20 for adults and 14.95 for kids to just do that!? what else do the 5, 6 year olds have to enjoy there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: