Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM

77 posts, read 138,657 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Clearwater/Largo area in March. Still learning about the area. Anyone know possibly what areas there are nice family neighborhoods and have good schools? I have been looking online but can not find much.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 10:16 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,141,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4inthevalley View Post
My family and I will be moving to the Clearwater/Largo area in March. Still learning about the area. Anyone know possibly what areas there are nice family neighborhoods and have good schools? I have been looking online but can not find much.

Thank you
Clearwater is not the best place to raise a family nor does it have the best schools. Largo is pretty much the same. You want to avoid all schools that feed into Largo High.

Best place in this area, IMO is:
West of 131st St
South of 102nd Ave
North of Park Blvd

Hillcrest Manor is a good neighborhood assigned to great schools.

Only draw back in regards to Pinellas County is homeowner's insurance is high, home values are higher and people tend to be more transient.

I lived in this area and loved it but was not able to make any close friends due to most of the people being older or transient.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Thank you. My son is going to the National Aviation Academy on Ulmerton Rd so we are looking to live somewhat close to the school. Do you know of any other neighbor hoods nearby that are nice. We are looking to rent for now and buying in the near future.

Not sure how the commute is from Tampa to where the school is.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,141,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4inthevalley View Post
Thank you. My son is going to the National Aviation Academy on Ulmerton Rd so we are looking to live somewhat close to the school. Do you know of any other neighbor hoods nearby that are nice. We are looking to rent for now and buying in the near future.

Not sure how the commute is from Tampa to where the school is.

The area I gave you is technically Largo. To commute to the school from the area I gave you would be around 20 minutes. Not too bad. I used to commute from the area I provided to Rocky Point Island and that was 45 minutes.

Most areas around US 19 are not desirable.

Next area you may want to look into is NE St. Pete. Also, in most cases, anything near/on the water is pretty decent. You will have to drive around and take a look.

You are making the right decision to rent before buying.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks As I look at right now every state has its problems from crime, to unemployment. I understand we are all suffering in every state. Thank you for the help and I will look into the area's you said.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM

224 posts, read 552,781 times
There's a quick expressway that goes right over the bay to Clearwater so you could live in W. Tampa just as easily, cheaper insurance etc. There's an area by Mac Dill close by, I think it's called Port Tampa City, if he likes planes and you guys don't mind military types it's affordable enough. None of the areas around here are good for kids or schools, no way no how. Most military and family types go out to the suburbs like new tampa, riverview etc, all too far away for you. Oh, I know one nice area close enough, Palm Harbor, pricey but not as drug sex culture. BTW I think you'll like it here, I considered Tucson but the ultrahot desert summers turned me off, we don't have the gang activity or as bad a meth problem. One more area: Tarpon Springs, it's got a lot of Greeks there but I lived there before and it's nice too, slow paced, yeah that's probably the best for being close to Clearwater, the kids are well behaved, some kind of religous greek orthodox maybe, sponge divers, etc. I enjoyed it and it wasn't as skeezy as Clearwater, St Pete. Good luck and let us know where you decide on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay