Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM

463 posts, read 1,054,735 times

Advertisements

Since i'll be living in Tampa fairly soon (by the end of the month), i'd like to ask you guys what is your favorite activity or place to go in Tampa. This can range from bingo to running in the beach
I guess i just want to get a grasp of what people tend to do, what are nice spots to go to spend my free time instead of sitting at home and watching TV.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,315,041 times
I like to hit the gym (lifestyles in hyde park) and run on bayshore. Weekends I usually socialize with friends, be it at someones condo or a nightlife spot. Like The great prophet Dave Matthews says "Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters".

Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I like to hit the gym (lifestyles in hyde park) and run on bayshore. Weekends I usually socialize with friends, be it at someones condo or a nightlife spot. Like The great prophet Dave Matthews says "Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters".

Well i know no one in Tampa, so having some pointers towards social gatherings is as good as "who"

Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,663,124 times
As far as the beach, I like Anna Maria Island (near Holmes, FL). There is a nice restaurant right on the beach that we walk up to and have either a nice lunch or dinner Sandbar Waterfront Restaurant on Anna Maria Island, Florida serving Fresh Florida Seafood. It is really nice to go towards late afternoon and watch the sunset. It sure it beautiful. Another beach we enjoy is Ft. DeSoto Beach. I have also brought my doggie to that beach. The doggie beach is not as nice as the popular north part of Ft. DeSoto Beach.

This time of year, there are lots of outdoor farmers markets that is nice to stroll around on Saturday morning.

Vinoy park in St. Peterburg has all kinds of activities such as jazz concerts, juried arts and crafts shows, etc.

We like hiking at the various nature centers like Brookercreek Preserve Friends of Brooker Creek Preserve Home Page. Kayaking, canoeing is fun too. I prefer kayaking though.

Then naturally, there is golf and tennis. There are various places where guys meet to play basketball. My local Y, I see people playing.

What did you enjoy doing before moving to Tampa? Other than skiing, you probably will find similar activities.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,528,942 times
I attend Florida Orchestra performances @ St Pete, concerts at the Amphitheater, and go to almost all sports events in the area (USF, Bucs, Bolts, Rays, PGA). Holmes Beach in Bradenton is my favorite beach - I spend a lot of time at the horse track Tampa Downs, which to me is like a day at the beach - very peaceful.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,315,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Well i know no one in Tampa, so having some pointers towards social gatherings is as good as "who"
Well, how old are you? what are you in to? what kind of nightlife do you like? What kind of music do you like?

Id be more than happy to provide some great insight or even invite you out with us sometime if we have similar interests.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:41 PM

annaegel,
Thank you for great tips of where to go. I will definitely have to visit some of the beaches to soak up some sand and water. As of now my favorite activity is snowboarding (yea i know i can't do it anymore), during winter season, and sometimes i wakeboard during the summer with my friends, although not nearly as often as i should.

BucFan, how is the Florida Orchestra? Anywhere comparable to Trans Siberian guys?

And craig, you already got my message, thanks for the tips!

Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,528,942 times
sounds like you're from the younger crowd.....the orchestra is really an older population's deal - but I like it.....btw, you might get into that kite-surfing stuff - they do it near the Skyway Bridge.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:03 PM

BucFan,
Yes i'm in my later 20s, but sometimes i can enjoy art performance

Kite surfing sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the tip

Old 11-17-2010, 05:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,319,436 times
I'll admit that my hobbies are pretty mild and lowbrow, but they work for me.

I like taking leisurely drives along the beach from Pass-a-Grille up to Clearwater, and through Tampa and St. Pete. I enjoy going to the Beach Theatre and Fun-Lan Drive-in. I like trying out restaurants tucked away on grimy streets. As a history buff, there are so many things to research and explore in the Tampa Bay Area. And, if it's a slow day, worse comes to worse, I'll take a day trip down some empty two-lane highway running through the middle of the orange groves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay