Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,406,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Really? Is it better than Moe's too? Either way, I'll be checking it out when they get it up and running.
Definitely better than Moe's, although Moe's has the option for tofu for vegetarians. The problem with Moe's is that the only location is really north of the city off Circle Rd on 481. At least the planned Chipotle location will be closer to the city, and not the northern sprawl.

Chipotle uses this lime-cilantro rice in their burritos which is to die for.

If Syracuse could land a Trader Joe's, a Chipotle, and southwest airlines to Hancock, the stock in the city would rise 1000000% IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 05:18 PM

94,566 posts, read 125,629,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Definitely better than Moe's, although Moe's has the option for tofu for vegetarians. The problem with Moe's is that the only location is really north of the city off Circle Rd on 481. At least the planned Chipotle location will be closer to the city, and not the northern sprawl.

Chipotle uses this lime-cilantro rice in their burritos which is to die for.

If Syracuse could land a Trader Joe's, a Chipotle, and southwest airlines to Hancock, the stock in the city would rise 1000000% IMO
From what I've seen on this site, Trader Joe's seems to be a bit more expensive than Wegman's and Wegman's seems to carry pretty much the same or similar things at a lower price.

As for the other two things, Chipotle seems like it will be good and another airline doesn't hurt.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 2,006,842 times
Quote:
From what I've seen on this site, Trader Joe's seems to be a bit more expensive than Wegman's and Wegman's seems to carry pretty much the same or similar things at a lower price.
It's an expensive place to shop as your regular grocery run, but TJ's carries a lot of things Wegmans doesn't. A lot of their organic stuff is cheaper than buying at Wegmans though. I tend to seek them out whenever I'm somewhere that has them (nearest from here: north Jersey/metro NYC, Philly, or Boston). It's a great store.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Having shopped at both, I actually feel that's the other way around. TJ's has cheaper organics and carries a lot of private-label stuff that Wegman's doesn't (interesting nuts, chocolates etc.).

For example, I love gourmet mushrooms. The 4 oz variety pack at Wegmans would be $3 or so. For the same price at TJs, you'd get 8 oz.

Quote:
another airline doesn't hurt.
It's not just another airline. SW is what keeps fares low in cities that have them. Not surprisingly, syracuse has some pretty nosebleed fares. I looked at a nonstop flight to ORD direct on AA a couple months ago, and it was $1200 roundtrip.

Flying SW out of Buffalo 2 hours away was only $250 roundtrip, plus they let you check 2 bags for free.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:28 PM

94,566 posts, read 125,629,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Having shopped at both, I actually feel that's the other way around. TJ's has cheaper organics and carries a lot of private-label stuff that Wegman's doesn't (interesting nuts, chocolates etc.).

For example, I love gourmet mushrooms. The 4 oz variety pack at Wegmans would be $3 or so. For the same price at TJs, you'd get 8 oz.

It's not just another airline. SW is what keeps fares low in cities that have them. Not surprisingly, syracuse has some pretty nosebleed fares. I looked at a nonstop flight to ORD direct on AA a couple months ago, and it was $1200 roundtrip.

Flying SW out of Buffalo 2 hours away was only $250 roundtrip, plus they let you check 2 bags for free.
What about Delta? When I was in the military, I would take flights from either Atlanta or Augusta to Syracuse and they were pretty affordable. Albany is more affordable though as well.

BTW-I was thinking about Whole Foods while talking about Trader Joe's. Oops....

Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What about Delta? When I was in the military, I would take flights from either Atlanta or Augusta to Syracuse and they were pretty affordable. Albany is more affordable though as well.
Delta doesn't fly direct from syracuse. The only flights out of SYR are really flights to the hubs (AA and United fly to their hubs in Chicago, Delta flies to its Altanta hub, US airways flies to its Philly and Charlotte hubs etc.)

The only exception I've seen is the direct jetblue flight to Orlando, FL

Quote:
BTW-I was thinking about Whole Foods while talking about Trader Joe's. Oops....
Yeah Whole foods is ridiculous. That's why people call it "whole" paycheck lol

Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 AM

161 posts, read 356,549 times
Great to hear there will be new food choices! I plan on eating out frequently to help support these businesses (and reduce my need to cook..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area