Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM

3,521 posts, read 9,433,966 times

Advertisements

Five things I do not want in Syracuse weather:

1) Frost
2) Hail
3) Drought
4) Below average temperatures the two days following a soaking rain
5) Wind during the day

So far in the past month, I have experienced #3, then #4, followed by #5 and then #1 last night.

And it looks like last year's summer of #3 and #4 repeated over and over again is continuing into this summer.

All I'm asking for is heavy rain followed by at least two above average temperatures days every week from May to September! Rain, then heat, rain, then heat! Is that too much to ask. LOL

Sorry, just need to vent. I realize cold fronts bring the rain and that's why it is cold following a heavy rainfall. I'm just hoping we can get back to good old days of pop up thunderstorms (ones that actually drop heavy rain over my location!) during a heat wave. I need a brake from watering and my plants need a good deep drink.

Yet people across the country still think it's either always snowing or raining in the Syracuse area! Maybe it was like that years ago, but I know in the few years, rain is rare here...at least in my neighborhood in the town of Clay. Whom ever controls the weather oughta keep Syracuse's bad weather reputation intact. Give us rain more often!

Well, what-a-know, just another sunny day here again!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-23-2009 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Bring on the rain! Syracuse has a reputation to uphold!

Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 AM

73 posts, read 155,133 times
Surprisingly, it sounds a heck of a lot like the weather here in Coventry! (except that that's it for us just about year round).
(yesterday we had hail, rain, sun & more rain...and ended with a bit of sunshine. today's been a toss up between rain and sun)

I was kind of hoping that when we move out Syracuse-way that there'd be a bit more sunshine though. I went to college out that way in 91 and it left really good impressions on me (though not much of a career).

Has the weather in general changed much in Syracuse's area & surrounds? (before I moved here to the UK to be with my husband I lived 10 years in Albany so I'm used to that sort of winter & summer and that's also sort of what I've told my husband it'll probably be like....
Any idea of what we can expect when we do make the jump across the ocean? Do you think that the winter weather has changed much? Has it gotten worse? More snow? Wetter? Less snow?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:50 AM

93,520 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
Surprisingly, it sounds a heck of a lot like the weather here in Coventry! (except that that's it for us just about year round).
(yesterday we had hail, rain, sun & more rain...and ended with a bit of sunshine. today's been a toss up between rain and sun)

I was kind of hoping that when we move out Syracuse-way that there'd be a bit more sunshine though. I went to college out that way in 91 and it left really good impressions on me (though not much of a career).

Has the weather in general changed much in Syracuse's area & surrounds? (before I moved here to the UK to be with my husband I lived 10 years in Albany so I'm used to that sort of winter & summer and that's also sort of what I've told my husband it'll probably be like....
Any idea of what we can expect when we do make the jump across the ocean? Do you think that the winter weather has changed much? Has it gotten worse? More snow? Wetter? Less snow?
It's not that much different from the time you were here. It depends on the year too. I remember the winter say from December 2001-February/March 2002 didn't have much snow at all. It was almost like the Fall didn't end. Then, you have some winters when it snows for a few days straight, but that is rare and it gets cleared in a timely manner.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post

-Winters are generally more snowy, less extreme cold, and more above normal days or thaw days which melt the snow on the ground.

-Springs are more extreme, more ups and downs. 90 degree days follows by frosts etc.

-Summers are sunnier, with less washout days. I remember rainy summers when I was much younger where whole days it rained. The last rainy summer where I live here in suburban Syracuse was in 2005. Now if it even rains heavily...which seems to only happen once every couple weeks at the most....it is a matter of hours, not days of rain. The last time it rained for days and days between late May through early September was the week 4th of July 2007.

-Falls are a little warmer early on. With the extra warmth, most of the leaves don't fall off the trees until after Halloween. It isn't until late November before the last of the leaves fall.

When I started gardening with plants that need moist well-drained soil I never thought that the plants not receiving enough water would ever be a problem here in the Syracuse area. I was wrong.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:26 PM

I did not water some of my plants today and yesterday believing the local meteorologists who said we'd have rain today.......... not just a few hours of sprinkles which we had instead!

Anything under 0.25 of an inch of rain barely penetrates the tree canopy.

I should have known better. It almost never rains here when the two days following the rain has a high above 73 degrees. The high forecast for Thursday is 78. So it will probably rain on Thursday since the highs forecasted for Friday and Saturday are only in the 60s.

Hope I don't wake up tomorrow with dead plants!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 05-26-2009 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,999,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I did not water some of my plants today and yesterday believing the local meteorologists who said we'd have rain today.......... not just a few hours of sprinkles which we had instead!

Anything under 0.25 of an inch of rain barely penetrates the tree canopy.

I should have known better. It almost never rains here when the two days following the rain has a high above 73 degrees. The high forecast for Thursday is 78. So it will probably rain on Thursday since the highs forecasted for Friday and Saturday are only in the 60s.

Hope I don't wake up tomorrow with dead plants!
Heh, it's been coming down for awhile now in my part of Eastwood at least...

Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,762,676 times
I planted our vegetable and flower gardens today, now that the danger of frost is over. (It didn't frost here in Manlius last night, btw. And I was always taught to never plant before Memorial Day, no matter how nice it is beforehand.) After I was done watering everything by hand - yes, I love using my watercan - it started to sprinkle... and it never really got to be much more than that. Again though, I didn't care much since I'd already watered them to provide a nice, moist base to spread out their roots. I can't wait to see how they do... I think it'll be a great growing season!

edited to add: As of right now (10:29pm), it's POURING here. Wow- I'm glad that my garden sits up on the hill a bit, so my newbie plants won't be drowned! LOL

Old 05-27-2009, 08:03 AM

I’d love to ask a local meteorologists why the bulk of the showers and thunderstorms travel around…. just to the north and just south of the neighborhoods surrounding Hafner’s off Buckley Road in the Town of Clay? I’ve noticed this strange phenomenon for years. I wonder if there is a meteorological reason for it?

Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM

14 posts, read 78,487 times
Hi People,
Former Syracuse native here. Been away about 6 years going where there has been work. My wife and I have lived in IN, IL, MI, and now we are stuck in Minneapolis where the weather is brutal. We have been here for almost 2 years and try doing shopping when it is 10 below and just trying to get out to feel the sun on your face without getting frostbite. It is terribly expensive here, and there are jobs but the weather is a car killer. Even if you have a garage which most places do you still have to go out and shop and leave your car outside in windchill of 21 below. Last winter we had a record straight of 27 days below freezing. And I'm not talking about a few degrees below 32 either. We are returning home to the Brewerton, Clay area in 2010 and hopefully we will find jobs. I'm in computer repair and my wife wants to get back into teaching. She taught in the Phoenix, Mexico district for some time.
Try living in other states before you complain about the glorious winter ,fall,spring and summer of Syracuse. Man we miss it terribly I can't find any place that sells Labatt ice and the states we lived in think that chicken wings should cost you as much as for a dinner for 4. I have seen the carousel center grow and we can't wait to get back home.
Any one have any leads on teaching jobs preferrably in Clay or north. My wife grew up in Brewerton and I moved there in 1990. I am originally a southern boy but I have never looked back and never will. This year has started out so dry that many of the famous lakes around here have started drying up. I use to think that the drivers were really bad when I first moved there but you should try working and living around Minneapolis. The people will actually hit the bicyclists when they ride their bikes in to work. And talk about arrogant and pompous people who think that the sun rises and sets on them only. All we have to say is we can hardly wait to get back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area