Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:36 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a firm handle on the weather up there. I'm moving from Long Island and the weather seem quite similar. I realize the winters are very snowy, but aside from the snowy winters how are the spring summer and fall. I visit frequently and monitor a local weather site so I feel positive about the weather. My concern is all the talk about cloudy days. Is it a constant over cast or passing clouds. It always seems pleasant when I visit. Love to hear from someone local. Thanks Glen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
I think you should move there if you can get a job. Get off the island! I live in NJ now so we come from similar areas in feel. Very suburban, very crowded, impossible to afford a house unless you make six figures, and worst of all, so darn hectic here. Road rage, traffic, bad schools. I don't even know why I am still here, except for family and my job situation.

I'm planning to move to the Albany region within a year. My friends and family think I am nuts, they are hellbent on staying in NJ. They can stay here and be miserable like everyone else here. The topic of every conversation here in NJ is either Sopranos or how expensive housing is, or how high property taxes are. Funny part is, when the $12,000 property tax bill comes for your tiny 1/2 acre lot, they happily pay it! I'm tired of it all! I love the landscape, the weather, the people and the reasonable prices upstate.

Last edited by Phish Head; 05-18-2006 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-18-2006, 05:47 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Having also left Upstate NY for NC (Rochester to Raleigh) I'd say that I prefer the weather in Upstate NY. I'm moving back to Rochester his year because NC is quite possibly the most overrated peace of land on earth. Yes, winters tend to be quite cloudy, 30 days without sun is a definite exageration, but it's not uncommon to go a week without the sun. But it should be stressed that this is only durring winter, and that Upstate NY has very sunny summers springs and falls. This is why there are so many vineyard there, the fastest groiwng wine industry in the county is in the Finger Lakes region just south of Rochester and West of Syracuse. Buffalo averages more sunny days per year than Atlanta if you can believe that. Summers in Upstate NY tend to actually be sunnier than the rest of the east coast due to the OTHER lake effect. Yes, the lake effect brings a lot of snow durring winter, but it also moderates temperatures year round (although the winters are very snowy upstate, the temperatures usually aren't too bad and get above freezing at least half of the time, and durring summer it usually stays pretty comfortable in the low to mid 80's) and keeps it sunny durring the winter. Here's the basic philosophy (sp) with regards to the lake effect; If the air temperature is cooler than the water temperature... you will get clouds; if the air is warmer than the water, you get sun.

Oh yes, and just for the reminder; DON'T MOVE TO NORTH CAROLINA!!! It's vastly overrated.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:12 PM

28 posts, read 113,750 times
Default reply

The winters here are definately colder than downstate, but if you don't think that would bother you... We had a great, shorter winter here this year but usually it's not fun to be outside from mid- November through end of April. Depending on whether the damp, cold weather really effects you, it might not be so bad. I can't stand being cooped up in the house for that long!

Definatley a lot of cloudy days in the winter and spring too- lots of rain in april and may- our best months are June- September.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 AM

538 posts, read 2,457,341 times
I went to college 6 miles from the NYS border in Vermont for 5 years. So while it is not the lake effect snow that we got (although we did get lake effect off Lake Champlain), the winters were not at all as bad as people say. Vermonters claim their winters are bad to keep people from moving there and ruining their state! Roads are cleared quickly. Any front wheel drive car will get you around in most snowfalls. In the heaviest of snow, rely on a 4x4 or don't go out at all. The next day, most roads are passable. We lived in a rented house in VT and we paid neighborhood kids to shovel our driveway $15. Cloudy skies are common, but people who say 1 month without sun are exaggerating. 1 week at most. Typically it would snow and then the sun comes out the next day, then clouds again. Again, I only lived in VT (very close to NY) not Syracuse. I would agree that it was a damp cold from December to April.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:19 PM

28 posts, read 113,750 times
Default snow

The snow can be very pretty but also a hassle to get around in at times. If it's bad enough schools and sometimes roads close. Get a really warm pair of boots, gloves and a down parka and a snow brush and shovel and you'll be fine. Hot chocolate works too!

Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times
Like your attitude Gretch, thanks

Old 05-21-2006, 11:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
I lived in the Hudson Valley for years and hated it. I always thought it was cloudy all the time. Now I live in the Valley of the Sun Az. I like the sun.

I'minformed this question is for you. I know you lived in both places NY and NC. I know you don't NC but tell me your opinion on the sun. Do they have a lot of sunny days? That is important to me.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:01 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
They do have a lot of sunny days, but you don't get to enjoy them. Durring summer it is so hot and muggy here that you really don't want to be outside anyways. The winters here really aren't "Warm and sunny" just warmER and sunniER. It's still farily cloudy and cold here durring winter too, just not as cold and not as much snow. In NY, the summers are beautiful. It's sunny, warm, and not overly humid. You will get maybe a few days out of the whole summer that are really uncomfortable and muggy.... vs. 3 months here in NC. I don't see the point at all in moving from a place where you stay cooped up inside all winter.... to a place where you stay cooped up inside all summer. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I'd rather be able to have my kids outside and playing durring the summer than cooped up inside with the air conditioning on full blast.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:34 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,059 times
Same in Az it's really hot in the summer and you don't want to be outiside at all unless you are in the pool. The winters here are FANTASTIC though. Yeah my concern is how the winters in NC. Will it be too cold for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area