Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

Bitter? Hmmmmm. Relax and don;t worry so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,059 times
Default Moving to Syracuse

Hello.

i am moving to Syracuse From NYC...an actor and singer here just looking for a little city and a little peace...what parts of Syracuse are the best for someone like me? I am an actor, singer and into art and style. I guess you could say the trendy part of life. any suggestions? neighborhoods that are artsy and cool?

Thanks!

Greg

Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,431,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gory36 View Post
Hello.

i am moving to Syracuse From NYC...an actor and singer here just looking for a little city and a little peace...what parts of Syracuse are the best for someone like me? I am an actor, singer and into art and style. I guess you could say the trendy part of life. any suggestions? neighborhoods that are artsy and cool?

Thanks!

Greg
Greg, I know more about the suburbs than the city. With that in mind... if you want a trendy place downtown, I'd suggest Armory Square.

Armory Square is the nightlife hotspot in Syracuse. Bars, shops, restaurants, apartments etc. Only problem is.... due to the high demand of living downtown right now, it might be hard to find a loft or an apartment. I heard there is a waiting list. The good news is that more apartments are in the pipeline. Here is a quote I found on the internet about downtown Syracuse:

"2500 residents and counting call downtown Syracuse home. The occupancy rate for downtown apartments is at 99%. Syracuse University moved 600 students to a building in Armory Square. The projected investment in 2006 exceeds $180 million, including 180 market-rate apartments and condos; 550 hotel rooms; 750,000 s.f. of renovated space and 265,000 s.f. of new construction."

pics I took of Armory Square a couple years ago:

Pictures taken during Syracuse NCAA Regionals in March 2005

I hope you don't mind the pictures in my post. I thought it might be helpful.

Greg, it may be difficult to find a trendy neighborhood in Syracuse if you are looking to live in a single family home. Maybe someone else knows better than I do about other neighborhoods in the city.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:03 PM

To make things more clear....There are apartments available about 2 or 3 blocks away from Armory Square, just not in the district itself.

Went to school with aspiring filmmaker Ryan Dacko. You might want to get in touch with him after he is done with his "Plan 9 from Syracuse" cross-country journey. Just a thought.

Greg,

you may want to check out these websites: 202walton dot com.... and.... development.downtownsyracuse dot com

http://www.202walton.com/

http://development.downtownsyracuse....eted/index.php

Some of those projects are moving along faster than I thought.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 44,844 times
Default Sorry

You have my deepest sympathy. You'll find the snow isn't the only thing that's cold in Syracuse.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:27 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,630 times
Jo is right. The beer in Syracuse is pretty cold!!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:58 AM
who

8 posts, read 23,893 times
Default don't do it

I realize you've probably already moved to Syracuse, but it's never too early to leave. I lived there for eight years before I was able to escape. I wish someone had told me how horrible it would be. Those pictures of Armory Square, with all of the blue skies...those don't really happen from November through February. One December there had 24 straight days of gray. The economy's in shambles. A lot of the population is bitter because of the bad weather and the miserable local economy. The city is so desperate for a cash infusion they're hoping to build the largest mall in America, to create even more jobs with unliveable wages. Oh, and the large beautiful lake nearby--it's the most polluted in the U.S. I cannot stress strongly enough, move back to wherever you were.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:01 AM

161 posts, read 1,049,630 times
Who, I don't know where else you have lived, but I lived outside of NYC for most of my life. Perhaps the grass is always greener on the other side. Gray skies don't effect my day. The polluted lake happens to be pretty and they are doing every thing they can to clean it. New York City is surrounded by the Hudson river which is extremely polluted. All of the waters around NYC are polluted. You can't get away from the pollution down there. Up here I spend most of my time by the finger lakes which happen to be some of the cleanest bodies of water in the country. I am overwhelmed with the beauty of this area. I have all the convieniences of shopping yet just a short drive to fly fishing, hiking and boating all with no crowds. Try boating in NYC. So Who, where are you going to go, that is nicer than here.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 AM
who

8 posts, read 23,893 times
Default chico

I moved to Chico, CA. The city is not in disrepair, the people are not bitter, and there are about 150 more days of sun than Syracuse gets each year. No more snow! The Sierra Nevadas are nearby, the Sacramento River, San Fran is three hours away. It's damn near heaven. I'm mostly upset that I wasted that much time in Syracuse.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Glen NY, don’t feed the troll.

"Who" must be the guy that went to the Syracuse.com forums two years ago and tried to get everyone in Syracuse to move to the Sacramento, CA area. He went on and on for weeks about how great Sacramento is and why he hated living in Syracuse.

I believe his goal in life is to let everyone know how much he hates Syracuse and how much he loves the Sacramento area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area